Help sought in buying a reversing camera, plus rear dashcam, or alternatively an integrated reversing and dash camera in one.

barrym01

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I already have a front-facing dash cam, but would like to fit a reversing camera to the MG4 SE SR I take delivery of next month, and also a rear-facing dash cam.
Has anyone done this, or can recommend units on the market? I'm aware there are many on Amazon and am unsure whether reversing cameras can be hooked into the media display, or whether the clip-on rear view mirror is the best option. Obviously, expense needs to be taken into account, especially if I have to end up paying any auto electrician to fit. Any advice would be welcome.

Hi I have fitted a auto vox complete wireless one fitted to the rear number plate
comes with a 4.3 inch screen that plugs in to 12v under drive wheel got the screen on the shelf behind drive select wheel this works well not as good as one that wired to screen but better than nothing.got it from Amazon so if you don’t like it can always send back

Thanks for this. Just looked on Amazon and looks very handy that the cameras solar, and wireless signalling straight to the plug into cigarette lighter display. Will definitely bear in mind.

Hi it has rechargeable battery in the camera body the camera then fits on a bracket that goes behind number plate or it can be powered by a solar panel that can be purchased
wit it.

I can't imagine that the head unit/screen is actually different between the SE and Trophy models. It might well be that on the Trophy it has the camera plugged in/wired up and on the SE this input is simply left. Aftermarket head units operate in this way from what I know. If that is the case, it could be fairly simple to hook up a camera but it does rely on someone being brave enough to remove the head unit/screen to find out what connections there are

I am using a combination of rear and front camera with the monitor integrated in the rear view mirror. This way I do not have an additional screen. Works for me. Had this set up in 3 cars so far.

I looked at that option as well but my wife didn’t like that we were told by dealers that if I get someone the wire one in mg would not honour guarantees no holes allowed to be drilled no connecting live feed on reverse light or messing with the head unit.even as you say all the wiring must be there.had the same thing with vw on our last polo r line and all they had to do was change rear vw badge for the camera one as wiring is there on that too.why do they make things so difficult

I have just threaded the wires through the car. The camera is attached with 3M and I have chosen not to connect with any wire and the rear cam is set up to run permanent is long as the car is on. Not perfect, but works for me.

I looked at that option as well but my wife didn’t like that we were told by dealers that if I get someone the wire one in mg would not honour guarantees no holes allowed to be drilled no connecting live feed on reverse light or messing with the head unit.even as you say all the wiring must be there.had the same thing with vw on our last polo r line and all they had to do was change rear vw badge for the camera one as wiring is there on that too.why do they make things so difficult
I wonder if one was to ask the dealership engineers to properly wire in a camera to the head unit that they would and it would keep the guarantees? It's maybe worth an ask?

I am using a combination of rear and front camera with the monitor integrated in the rear view mirror. This way I do not have an additional screen. Works for me. Had this set up in 3 cars so far.
Which one did you buy please? this may be the best option

Decides for this set this time. Due to the MG's mirror Bein quite large and the square shape really faith with the dash board and screen. I am happy enough with it, though it does not have gps recording.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back