Help with charging using cable

victoriac17

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I need help as I’m at my wits end and don’t know what I’m doing wrong. When going to a charging point where you need to plug your own cable in. The steps I follow are:
  • Leave car
  • Tap my card
  • plug the charger in to both the station and the car
  • Then lock the car

It always looks like it’s charging at this point.

As soon as I go onto my app to check it’s charging an orange warning comes up on the dash and says charging aborted.

When I plug it into a fast charger or a charging station that already has a cable this doesn’t happen, only when I use my own.

Any help would be great thanks

What type2 cable are you using and with what EVSE (charge point)?
Can you ask someone else to try your cable?

Does your granny cable work? (I'm assuming you're using a type 2 cable when using your own at chargers).
Can you get into the car and restart the charging manually through the screen?

Plug the cable in after getting out of the car and before tapping your card. The car needs to do a handshake first
This just worked first time for me! Thank you so much, the car is just new so I knew it was me doing something wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Be aware, there are some chargers that do require you to tap the RFID card before plugging as you have been doing, I can't remember if it was Swarco or Mer ones.

If there are instructions displayed then it is important the you read the instructions. At a recent bp-pulse fast charger I asked why a driver was leaving, she replied that the charger was kaput (my words). I decided to try it, as I had not used one before, and waited until the digital screen told me the order in which to do things. I followed the instructions, the charge started and I sat in the car until I felt I needed to stop charging. That was more confusing because the sequence began with the same as if you were initiating a new charge but I followed the instructions and,lo and behold, I could stop the charge.

Mind you, the cost was high cf Gridserve which I normally use.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back