Here's an interesting one re Updates and VIN numbers

@AndyNWuk how did it go on Friday?
Hi Tango,

OK here goes,

The dealer had the car all day on Friday and on collection I was told they had checked all the updates for the car which was NOT on the VIN Number Listing for required updates.

However, they were not able to apply the BMS 2020 update to my vehicle.

After them contacting MG UK for authorisation, they were able to however apply a different update which they say did the same thing - i.e. allowing the vehicle to be charged when unlocked.

Secondly, they are unsure if the vehicle can have the HVB Fuse DC to DC update as again my car isn't on the VIN Number listing, so they have sent an email once more to MG UK to give permission to apply it, unless they are told otherwise. I will know that outcome on Monday (tomorrow).

CHARGING WHILE UNLOCKED STILL DOESN'T WORK
Yesterday (Saturday) I tried charging my car with my ROLEC Home Charging unit with the car unlocked using several combinations of plugging in while unlocked or locking first and then unlocking etc. but still cannot charge my vehicle while it is unlocked.

Today (Sunday) I took my vehicle to a local BP Chargemaster point to prove that it wasn't just my home charger causing this problem.

The Type 2 - 7.2Kw Charger would only charge when the car was locked, so I then tested the 50Kw CCS Charger which did work while the car was unlocked, so for me, only half an update is working.

I could not speak to anyone in the dealership at Perry's of Preston yesterday, as they are currently not working on a Saturday, but tomorrow I will be contacting them for some more answers.

It seems to me now that certain MG ZS EV vehicles have different software installed in them and being categorised within certain different VIN Numbers, some come with (like mine) Comfort 2 already installed from the factory, but missing the more recent updates like BMS 2020 and possibly the HVB Fuse one, but my dealer told me some cars may not need the latter one as a another version may have already been installed when the Comfort 2 was done. - So confusing isn't it?

They did try to get authorisation from MG UK to update the BMS 2020 one and MG UK seemed to say NO but we have another update which will do the same thing? I am even more confused now and feel MG UK should start answering some questions as to what is going on here as clearly their alternative update doesn't work.

Will keep you posted more once I have contacted the dealer tomorrow re the HVB Fuse DC to DC update.

Best Regards,

Andy

The cars have always been able to charge on a DC charger whilst unlocked. The problem is or was depending if update has been done is that the car required to be locked to charge on an AC charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom