Hi guys and gals I am Dave from Bristol and this is my first post. USB outlets.

Davecut1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have recently become the proud owner of an MG4 and I am slowly getting to grips with my new car. they are so complicated aren't they. I would like to get android auto to function on my car and I am having problems down loading the app on to my phone. also I plugged my phone into the USB C connector and it didn't seem to charge is this normal or do I have a problem. your thoughts would be great. Dave.

I have recently become the proud owner of an MG4 and I am slowly getting to grips with my new car. they are so complicated aren't they. I would like to get android auto to function on my car and I am having problems down loading the app on to my phone. also I plugged my phone into the USB C connector and it didn't seem to charge is this normal or do I have a problem. your thoughts would be great. Dave.
I think android auto only works on the left hand (usb A) connector.

Android Auto is built-in to Android, not a separate download (it is an app, but a system app). It should just work if you plug in to the left-hand USB-A socket (the older rectangular type)

Android Auto is built-in to Android, not a separate download (it is an app, but a system app). It should just work if you plug in to the left-hand USB-A socket (the older rectangular type)

Only from android version 10, android 9 and below you will need to download the app

Only from android version 10, android 9 and below you will need to download the app
Similarly if you updated from <10 to 10+ then the AA app is still needed. Otherwise AA is native to Android now. :)

Tip ... pair your phone to the car with Bluetooth before starting to connect and configure Android Auto. I did that during my vehicle inspection before I'd even paid for the car ;) and Bluetooth and AA just worked straight away :)
I plugged my phone into the AA socket when I went for a testdrive, it paired everything up immediately, including connecting the bluetooth.

Thanks for the advice guys. So let's go and tinker. If the left hand USB A port is the one I need. What is the non charging right hand USB C port actually used for?

I plugged my phone into the AA socket when I went for a testdrive, it paired everything up immediately, including connecting the bluetooth.
Ditto, tried on test drive and BT & AA worked in seconds (phone on Android 12), when we collected our car it also all paired up again in seconds. Can confirm it only works on the left hand USB A socket.

As others have said re AA, left USB-A port and make sure Bluetooth is paired.

Interesting re failed to charge on the usb-c I have the same issue on my pixel 6, other phones work ok. Tried a few leads both ways round and no luck with my phone.

I'm due to collect my Trophy next week, so I'd like to set up Android Auto before I drive home.

I have a Pixel 7, so would I be right in understanding from the previous posts that I have to:
First pair my phone (bluetooth) then
Second, connect phone via LH USB socket? (if I put the phone on the charging pad, will it charge via the USB or charge pad?)
I assume I can wait until I have time at home to set up iSmart?

Other than checking all the usual things (I've already sent my dealer a copy of the check list spreadsheet), is there anything else I need to know do you think?

I'm due to collect my Trophy next week, so I'd like to set up Android Auto before I drive home.

I have a Pixel 7, so would I be right in understanding from the previous posts that I have to:
First pair my phone (bluetooth) then
Second, connect phone via LH USB socket? (if I put the phone on the charging pad, will it charge via the USB or charge pad?)
I assume I can wait until I have time at home to set up iSmart?

Other than checking all the usual things (I've already sent my dealer a copy of the check list spreadsheet), is there anything else I need to know do you think?
Yes that would work for AA, and it will charge by usb if that's plugged in and so won't pick up the wireless charge (so you could put your phone wherever you want, if it slides around on the charge pad location for example maybe pop it in the middle tray).

If the phone is connected by USB I've no idea if it will also try and charge wirelessly - that's up to the phone not the car.

In my case I chose to pair via Bluetooth first, and then connect the cable (from the LHS USB A socket) to enable Android Auto. No idea if this is critical, but it worked for me (and concurs with instructions I remember in the past about AA).

Set up the iSMART app now. Get it all set up with an account (you'll probably find that phone activation doesn't work - no SMS is received with a confirmation code - so register an account via email). Thus when you collect your car you can bind the car to the app before you even drive away - that's what I did; takes seconds.

FWIW my phone (in a gel case) stays where it is on the shelf. :)

If the phone is connected by USB I've no idea if it will also try and charge wirelessly - that's up to the phone not the car.

In my case I chose to pair via Bluetooth first, and then connect the cable (from the LHS USB A socket) to enable Android Auto. No idea if this is critical, but it worked for me (and concurs with instructions I remember in the past about AA).

Set up the iSMART app now. Get it all set up with an account (you'll probably find that phone activation doesn't work - no SMS is received with a confirmation code - so register an account via email). Thus when you collect your car you can bind the car to the app before you even drive away - that's what I did; takes seconds.

FWIW my phone (in a gel case) stays where it is on the shelf. :)
Thanks @siteguru , iSmart now set up, so just have to work out how to bind the car when I get it!

Check the Tips thread - I'm sure there's one there that points to instructions. (The binding process in the Trophy is slightly different than in the SE - i.e. in how/where to find the QR code).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back