Home AC charging

linrules1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Based in Australia with single phase 240V.
I got a sparkie to install a 20amp outlet in the wall sometime ago. Recently got the MG4 but when I plug it in via portable charger, I only see 1.7kw as opposed to 3.8kw. Did the sparkie do a shoddy job or am I missing something?

Based in Australia with single phase 240V.
I got a sparkie to install a 20amp outlet in the wall sometime ago. Recently got the MG4 but when I plug it in via portable charger, I only see 1.7kw as opposed to 3.8kw. Did the sparkie do a shoddy job or am I missing something?
1.7 kw equates to around 8 amps , and 3.4 kw to 16amps . Check the rating of your charger, it may be switchable and the rating of charge can be altered on the infortainment screen, use maximum charge. The outlet may be 20a but is the Rcd and Mcb rated to give 16a minimum?

Check also the Current setting in the car ... it's in the Charging tab (I think) when you press on the Battery tile on the home screen.

A 20A outlet will only allow 16A charging = 3.7kW charge rate. You need a 32A circuit (with suitable cable) to allow for 7kW charge rate.

But ... which cable are you using to charge your car? If you're using a "granny" lead (one which plugs into a normal domestic socket) then 1.7kW is not far off the mark.

Check also the Current setting in the car ... it's in the Charging tab (I think) when you press on the Battery tile on the home screen.

A 20A outlet will only allow 16A charging = 3.7kW charge rate. You need a 32A circuit (with suitable cable) to allow for 7kW charge rate.

But ... which cable are you using to charge your car? If you're using a "granny" lead (one which plugs into a normal domestic socket) then 1.7kW is not far off the mark.
OP says "portable charger", which sounds very much like a granny lead to me.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back