Home charger advice please

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus ... but that might have the extra features you're not wanting. (e.g. it has it's own app and connects to Wi-Fi, so you can remotely monitor the charge point).

PS - what you're looking for is an EVSE; Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. This is merely an AC power source, with additional functionality. The actual charger is built into the car. :)

What can you recommend as a good tethered home charging unit please? I'm looking for a good quality one but without extra features tyta
Do have or likely to have installed in the future, any solar panels / battery storage facilities?.
Some wall boxes support solar integration, some do not.
All wall box units have to be “Smart” capable.
Some energy providers like Octopus favour certain wall boxes to be compatible with SOME of the EV schemes they offer.
Zappi by my energy is a popular choice, but that tends to be at the higher end of the price scale.
Ohme and Hypervolt is just two other units that are very popular.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus ... but that might have the extra features you're not wanting. (e.g. it has it's own app and connects to Wi-Fi, so you can remotely monitor the charge point).

PS - what you're looking for is an EVSE; Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. This is merely an AC power source, with additional functionality. The actual charger is built into the car. :)
We've the same from Wallbox and never had any issues

I had an original Ohme which worked well with Intelligent Octopus but the swapped it for a Wallbox Plus but having a few issues. I am waiting for IOG to finish beta testing the Zappi and will then use that.

@Chris Bronsdon take a look at this site for recommendations.
You can search by price or make of car etc.
It comes recommend from EVM.

Ohme pro on octopus intelligent works pretty well, just one billing query at the end of the month, probably down to octopus sending the bill out before ohme sent them the smart charging data

Hypervolt any time .great after service. Always somebody to help you if you have any queries.
smart looking charging box, shows different colours on charging sequence. Highly recommend

Ohme - with solar/ home battery, however only let the car charge overnight via mains at 6-7kw (the installers set it up on a separate circuit). - I was kind of lucky as it was what I was given approx 12 months ago (it cost £600 installed)

Last edited:
Ohme. I chose it 10 months ago as it was only one of 2 chargers at time that had an in built sim card as my domestic WiFi could not reach my garage where it was to be installed. 6 months later I changed energy supplier to Octopus who integrate with Ohme perfectly to give me off peak rates not only at night but during daytime hours when grid is loaded which is quite often these days.

Ohme. I chose it 10 months ago as it was only one of 2 chargers at time that had an in built sim card as my domestic WiFi could not reach my garage where it was to be installed. 6 months later I changed energy supplier to Octopus who integrate with Ohme perfectly to give me off peak rates not only at night but during daytime hours when grid is loaded which is quite often these days.
Great to hear - how do you know if you are to be given cheaper energy during the day?

Great to hear - how do you know if you are to be given cheaper energy during the day?
Just plug car in and Octopus work out a smart schedule for charging and show you the schedule on Ohme app. If the grid is loaded they will charge off peak during the day and your domestic electricity will also be at off peak rate. Was scared when it first started doing this as I was worried I was going to get like 40kwh billed at full rate but have since had itemised half hour billing and all good. To be really savvy what I do now is request a charge during the day and if it it gives me a day time charge schedule I can then turn on heavy domestic load items like washing machine, tumble dryer oven etc... Since start of Autumn is has been providing a lot of off peak rates during the day. I take it that's because wind turbines are turning more and I do reside next to one of Europe's largest wind farms.

How much time and brain energy does it take to cope with all this?
Not a lot, the app tells you clearly what's scheduled or if you run Home Assistant you can automate it all. Mine sets the house batteries to charge, heat pumps to run if it's cold and immersion heater to operate.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back