Home charger new convert questions

moviescaperooms

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone, have enjoyed reading through all the great information on here as I’m slowly learning about the MG5 I am hoping to be delivered in the next week or 2. Really excited for it!

I have a couple of questions about home chargers, is it best to look for a local installer to come and install a charger that I buy myself or go through the manufacturers supply and install service? I’m looking at the ohme home pro or the wallbox pulsar plus at the moment but most important thing really is keeping the cost down as long as it has the basic smart functions and will be reliable. From what I can gather the installation should be a basic one as the house electrics is all recent and up to standards and there is a clear run of about 5m to the area I want a box mounting.

Second question is, does the box need to be installed on the house or could I put a post in the ground in front of my parking space on the drive so the cable doesn’t cross where people may walk?

Thanks and I would welcome any other advice or suggestions to consider. I’m new to the EV world so it’s a lot to take in.

I know you can mount a Zappi on a post.
I have seen pictures of them on home made post and fence post. You can either go to a manufacturer site and see if they list installers or check out Checker trade.

I also used a local electrician who has done other work for me, and in whom I have the utmost trust. He purchased and installed a Wallbox (without the government grant) for less than other companies quoted WITH the grant. I know I can call on him if there are issues in the future.

Second question is, does the box need to be installed on the house or could I put a post in the ground in front of my parking space on the drive so the cable doesn’t cross where people may walk?
Yes - This can be done, but worth consideration here is that routing the supply cable to your chosen wall box, can turn out to be the most expense part of an install, if the cable run is long and difficult.
Generally, the closer you mount the wall box to the electric meter / consumer unit ( fuse box ) the cheaper the install is likely to cost.
If you want the wall box placing at the end of your drive, then this will involve running a SWA supply cable to the post.
This could included digging a trench to accept / protect the cable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom