• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Home charger - what do you use?

Thanks, my Podpoint is programmable so night time isn’t a problem. I’ve been offered an alternative, waiting for final details, sounds like a Beta version and I’m aiming for 0230 - 0730.

We had a Type2 Pod point wall charger at our home. Installed for around £800 with Govt Grant.
Would also suggest you get a EVPO0100 type 2 32 5 metre charging lead. We found most ASDA and Tesco Superstores with electric charging facilities are Pod Point Units. So, if your Dealer didn’t include a Type2 cable AS WELL as the Granny lead, buy one or you could struggle (as we did) to charge your car.
Bought ours last Tuesday from Rolex Services Ltd ( email :- [email protected]) for £144 including next day DPD delivery.
Hope that helps.
Re Type 2 cables, I would suggest googling for them, 5m, 32amp can be found easily for approx £115.

We've got a podpoint charger we had installed free when we bought a 2nd hand Leaf in 2017.

We went untethered, turns out it was a pretty good move as we have an Outlander, which is type 1 and the ZS, which is type 2.

At over 5 years old our type 1 cable is just about knackered too and will be much easier to replace than a tethered one.

Must admit, I'm leaning toward Ohme Home Pro. Looks nice, is there anything you don't like about it?
Dear GuyMC

I was tossing up between Ohme Home Pro and zappi because of the interactive screen displays... What put me off the Ohme was when I read the details about the 'free 3 year sim card' and warranty. I contacted them to ask, with it being a sealed unit, what would happen after the 'free' sim car deal came to an end? They replied they are working on hopefully keeping it 'free'. Hmmm... I went with the Zappi... Does everything I want and future proof!

Sincerely nd in good faith.
Martin

PS... If your charger has a 'screen' make sure they position it at eye level.

OK ohme are no different to other smart chargers with sim/e-sim they will all have a renewal date the companys using them are trying to sort out free renewal just like smart meters someone pays the subscription for the data plan look like it may stay free as the data is useful for the grid worst case scenario is there may be a small subscription to us but don't think it will come to that the government want to control and monitor the usage and may even tax usage for this they need the data

I agree have been trying for the last 3 months to get a timed off peak charge to work app is crap
I've actually got mine working now. Took a new unit (slightly later version) an update, a switch to another app, then a switch back cos that app had rubbish logging. I wish I'd gone for an Ohme though cos of its compatibility with Octopus, given the car doesn't have an app so there's no point waiting for Octopus to work with that.

I had the old style SyncEV chargepoint (untethered) installed a few months ago £777 all in and without the grant of course. Very pleased so far though I don't do scheduled charging which I know some folks have had problems with. I charge from our solar PV and the ability to adjust power from the app is great, not unknown for me to adjust it whilst out walking the dog 😁

I use a good quality Leclerc double socket fed by heavy cable, then I plug the granny charger into that.

It get's plugged in at about 11pm before I go to bed and unplugged at about 8am so the vast majority of my charging is on cheap rate.

I find that gives me more than enough juice for the average following 2-3 days and it cost me 19 euros plus 10 mins of my time.

Have a ZS EV SR on order - looking to get my charger sorted. Simple question really...if you have a home charger, what is it and would you recommend it?
Thanks in advance...
Hi, I got mine through "sync ev", I haven’t used it yet as I pick my zs up on Wednesday, but it's a neat and tiny little unit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom