Home charging cable recommendation for 7khw for MG ZS EV 2020

Mohammed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
I need advice on which is best cable or charging station to install for MG ZS EV 2020 please. Which work at 7khw speed and don't cause much problem. I do need long cable so it can reach my car either between 8 or 10 meter cable.

I have seen this cable on eBay and has any used this cable to charge their MG ZS EV 2020 know if it compatible

Jolt Type 2 Portable EV Electric Vehicle Charger 32A 7.2kW CEE 6 Metres Cable with commando male side sockets attached to it

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_232954.jpg
    IMG_20221228_232954.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 73
It depends on whether you are planning to have an EVSE (this is the dedicated home charging station) installed, which would charge at 7kw max, a commando socket installed, or simply use the ‘granny’ charger on a 13amp socket - not the ideal way for long term use, as it’s very slow and can possibly overheat the socket.

There are many different makes of home EVSE’s, and it’s worth checking with your energy provider to see if they require particular makes that are acceptable to use with their EV tariffs. If you have, or are planning to have solar panels, there are specific EVSE’s that communicate with solar power.

The item you showed appears to be only suitable for use with a commando socket, although the description is somewhat unclear. I didn’t go onto eBay to look at the full specification.

If you are having an EVSE installed, you have the choice of tethered or untethered. They use a type 2 cable, and are available in a 10m length I believe. Tethered is convenient if you only need to charge at home, but if you may need to charge at a public 7kw EVSE, you will need your own type 2 cable anyway.

Rapid EVSE’s use their own attached cables due to the much higher output.

I would recommend that you look at a dedicated EV cable website to see the different type 2 cables, lengths etc., once you have decided on the equipment you will be using at home.

The EVSE in your picture will do the job but you will need to install an interlocking 32a Commando socket fed from a dedicated 32a or 40A RCBO in your CU or install a new mini CU if you can't fit one into your existing CU.
If this is a permanent fixture then it need to be done by an EVSE installer following all the latest regulations.

If you check out this forum in more detail you'll find many threads asking for advice on choice of charge point. Read these first to get a wider understanding of the choices available and members experience with those units. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom