Home charging - Does it stop costing £ once car is fully charged?

Martyn2909

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Scenario - I am charging my car at home. The car becomes fully charged at 2am. The car remains plugged in until 7am...

Will the 5 hours (2am-7am) still cost money even though the car is fully charged or does the costing stop at 100% charged?

EVs typically switch to trickle charging once full
They don't switch to trickle charge but they do switch to what is known as a balance charge if the BMS deems that is required. This will equalise the charge on every individual battery cell and may run for several hours, but only at a load of a few hundred Watts. When this is complete or if the BMS decides it isn't required, the charger will disconnect.

They don't switch to trickle charge but they do switch to what is known as a balance charge if the BMS deems that is required. This will equalise the charge on every individual battery cell and may run for several hours, but only at a load of a few hundred Watts. When this is complete or if the BMS decides it isn't required, the charger will disconnect.
My experience agrees with this - and once the balance is done the car tells the charger to stop and no current is then drawn.

I did a charge from 50% to 100% last night and it looks like the car was performing some balancing for around half an hour and then it has completed the charge. Here’s a screenshot of the Zappi charge history.
964DECC9-E238-4308-BE8C-8851B4AA2596.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel