Home charging

Mick Evans

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Looking for a cheap home charger. Been looking around but not sure what I need?

The reason I say cheap is I'm moving next year so don't want to go mad

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried a search as there are copious existing threads covering this question?
A quality charge point installation will add to the value of the house when you sell so I wouldn't see that as a good reason for going cheap :)

Have you tried a search as there are copious existing threads covering this question?
A quality charge point installation will add to the value of the house when you sell so I wouldn't see that as a good reason for going cheap :)
Worth noting you can't transfer eo to a new owner, they assume that you would take it with you when you move. I discovered this when the clown that installed mine linked it to his work account not mine and had to speak to support to get it resolved.

How many miles do you do weekly or daily? Could you get away with the 'granny' and free supermarket EVSEs?

I used the granny charger for about 3 months (average 200 a day)and it was ok but you need a good socket (and extension lead) because it can get very hot.
A wallbox will probably start about £450 but you have installation on top of that.

Installation is the killer, particularly if your property is wired with a PEN rather than TT.

Only to some people, such as existing BEV owners who understand the true cost of a proper installation. Lots of people have no knowledge of the true cost either having no desire for an EV or having previously had an install under lax regulations or largely funded by manufacturers and/or OLEV. FWIW our two 32A charge points cost £167 in total, which is minimal to the current typical cost of £800-£1,000 each.

My installer told me he knew someone with a 3 year old pod point which the owner actually got installed free when he got his car just sold his house. Estate agent added 4k to house valuation for the charger.

If you are moving soon I would agree with the granny charger + free supermarket / work charger option. By the time you get the fuse assessed (and upgraded if required) etc you would probably have moved😢

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom