Home Wall Charger

A problem with your browser I expect. The website is fine :)
Only issues with my browser are a) rare & b) caused by duff styles in html scripting 😉

I have 3 up-to-date browsers on this phone & all 3 have differing difficulties with the hypervolt website.

YMMV, but I'm calling it well below par.

Last edited:
See:

Is there an option to have a commando socket installed and then use the Ohme cable?
I may have got this wrong. I know someone with a new build house. It has an EV charge point but it’s just 3 pin. Does anyone have this sort of set up and had a 7kwh car charger fitted? Thanks!

I would guess it would depend if the wiring etc is suitable first of all ?.
I know Rolec made a wall box with a three pin plug outlet, these where popular for some new build properties,
But these are not suitable or equipped for pulling 3.3 or 7.00 Kw’s that’s for sure !.

I would guess it would depend if the wiring etc is suitable first of all ?.
I know Rolec made a wall box with a three pin plug outlet, these where popular for some new build properties,
But these are not suitable or equipped for pulling 3.3 or 7.00 Kw’s that’s for sure !.
Thanks. I’m not an expert, but I guess a 7kwh outlet needs to be wired separately to the other domestic wiring and have a 30a fuse? The wall box that they now add to new builds just seems to be an outside 3 pin socket in a grand enclosure??

Thanks. I’m not an expert, but I guess a 7kwh outlet needs to be wired separately to the other domestic wiring and have a 30a fuse? The wall box that they now add to new builds just seems to be an outside 3 pin socket in a grand enclosure??
That is along the same thinking path of myself !.
A 3.6 or 7.0 K/Watt wall box would require a 6.00mm or even a 10mm cable ( depending on the length of the cable run ) with a suitable RCD / RCBO on a dedicated circuit.

I have read whilst Octopus offer a reduced night tariff their day rate is higher than other providers.
Is this a fact I wonder?

Yes, but if 50% or more of your electricity usage is off-peak (both EV charging and anything else that you can time shift such as washing, heating, etc.) then it more than offsets the higher cost. It suits me but not everyone.

I have read whilst Octopus offer a reduced night tariff their day rate is higher than other providers.
Is this a fact I wonder?
If you look on Octopus website and enter your postcode you can see your rates (they differ slightly on location ). The new Go tariff is about 43p peak and 12p off peak. Bear in mind that they are not fixed or capped but variable and can change, but you can exit at any time
if you’re not happy.

Yes, but if 50% or more of your electricity usage is off-peak (both EV charging and anything else that you can time shift such as washing, heating, etc.) then it more than offsets the higher cost. It suits me but not everyone.
You only need to use about 25% of total usage off-peak to break even on the tariff.

You only need to use about 25% of total usage off-peak to break even on the tariff.

Agreed, but there's also the loss of convenience factor in time shifting usage etc meaning that you should look at a higher % to make it worth doing.

Note that I find Intelligent Octopus much better despite the lack of integration of the MG as it is cheaper and at least 6 hours off-peak which increases the utility as I can get the full 10 hours (MG5 LR) off-peak when needed and a lower % shift to make it worthwhile.

I'm currently on Go with a 4 hour slot starting at 21:30 which is good, as I get some of my TV viewing into it and of course we load shift other stuff but can start it manually if required (though it is mostly managed by Home Assistant). I'm on 34p/7.5p till next June-ish, all being well, when I expect to go to Intelligent using the 2nd hand OHME charger I've bought.

Not sure what I'll do with 6 hours of cheap stuff though, none of my devices would run that long (except the heat pump tumble drier). I suppose the small benefit would be getting more in in one night if charging from low SoC, though in a year of ownership it wouldn't have made any difference.

Do you get cheap slots during the day too sometimes though?

Agreed, but there's also the loss of convenience factor in time shifting usage etc meaning that you should look at a higher % to make it worth doing.

Note that I find Intelligent Octopus much better despite the lack of integration of the MG as it is cheaper and at least 6 hours off-peak which increases the utility as I can get the full 10 hours (MG5 LR) off-peak when needed and a lower % shift to make it worthwhile.
True but anything over 25% puts you on the good side. We don't shift anything timewise, in fact the only thing we could shift is the washing machine, but that's being dodgy at the moment anyway.
We are low electric users and only need to add about 60kWh (approx 3 x 4hr charges) to the car each month to make it pay.
I would certainly look to Intelligent when my fix ends, but I don't have a compatible car or wallbox. :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom