How do I disable muting of the radio when reversing?

StuartT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have a brand new MG4 Trophy and find that when I reverse, the music volume drops to zero. This is completely unnecessary and annoying. Yet I can't find the setting to disable it in the manual.

Can you help?

Thanks

As others have said, this is a deliberate safety feature, I think, so that the beeps of the reversing sensors cannot be masked. It was also the case on my previous car, an MG6.

Although I have a pre-facelift MG5 I also do not experience the radio muting, merely dropping in level.

+1 to the replies above - mine reduces but doesn't mute. (I've not tried when the volume has been very low to start with - maybe that would give the impression of muting).

Mine also shows the reversing screen (not camera - doesn't exist on the SE) regardless of which screen was there - even Android Auto.

I almost did this with the ZS, I changed a setting somewhere in the audio settings and the volume drop was still there but less significant. The problem was, I couldn't remember what setting I'd changed, so I couldn't apply it to the 4. :(

Any reversing is done for how long? Surely it's not such an inconvenience to not hear or hear your music lower for that period?

Any reversing is done for how long? Surely it's not such an inconvenience to not hear or hear your music lower for that period?
It's just rather unnecessary. If music is not a distraction when driving forwards (often at high speeds!) how on earth is it a problem when driving backwards at 3mph?

If you are vaguely competent driver you surely don't need beeps to tell you not to reverse into stuff?!

It's just rather unnecessary. If music is not a distraction when driving forwards (often at high speeds!) how on earth is it a problem when driving backwards at 3mph?

If you are vaguely competent driver you surely don't need beeps to tell you not to reverse into stuff?!
There are scenarios when it’s important to be able to hear your surroundings as well as see them. One springs straight to mind where a small child or animal is running towards the rear of your car from an angle you’d struggle to see them, and the parent / owner rightly shouts in the hope of getting the driver’s attention. With this feature in place, you’re much more likely to hear that shout. I’m all for it.

I have a brand new MG4 Trophy and find that when I reverse, the music volume drops to zero. This is completely unnecessary and annoying. Yet I can't find the setting to disable it in the manual.

Can you help?

Thanks
Maybe your music is rubbish and the car is trying to tell you something 😉

Maybe your music is rubbish and the car is trying to tell you something 😉
this may indeed be the case ;)

But I can't help feeling a little nostalgic for the days when cars didn't seem to think they were in charge of everything and were happy to let the driver do the actual driving #grumpyoldman

this may indeed be the case ;)

But I can't help feeling a little nostalgic for the days when cars didn't seem to think they were in charge of everything and were happy to let the driver do the actual driving #grumpyoldman
Before you know it there will be cars that park themselves. Oh wait…..

Our C4 grand has all the toys for self parking. both reverse in to a bay, and parallel park. it works well. but takes a bit of time to "find" the spot as you have to drive past it. Quicker to do manually with the aid of cameras

Apparently (any sentence that begins with apparently is probably an urban myth) in America they had to start enabling the vehicles to self un-park themselves as drivers were finding that the car was self parking in spaces to tight for the human driver to extract the car from.

My Focus had self parking. I used it twice, once to see if it worked and once to show my brother.

Apparently (any sentence that begins with apparently is probably an urban myth) in America they had to start enabling the vehicles to self un-park themselves as drivers were finding that the car was self parking in spaces to tight for the human driver to extract the car from.

My Focus had self parking. I used it twice, once to see if it worked and once to show my brother.
The Prius had that too for tight parallel unparking.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back