How do I disable muting of the radio when reversing?

There are scenarios when it’s important to be able to hear your surroundings as well as see them. One springs straight to mind where a small child or animal is running towards the rear of your car from an angle you’d struggle to see them, and the parent / owner rightly shouts in the hope of getting the driver’s attention. With this feature in place, you’re much more likely to hear that shout. I’m all for it.
yes, a daily occurrence I'm sure.

If you adjust the volume while in reverse it seems to remember what you set it to, although only up to a maximum of 5 or so.
I tried that already, it didn't seem to make any difference on mine.

Apparently (any sentence that begins with apparently is probably an urban myth) in America they had to start enabling the vehicles to self un-park themselves as drivers were finding that the car was self parking in spaces to tight for the human driver to extract the car from.

My Focus had self parking. I used it twice, once to see if it worked and once to show my brother.
Yep - I used mine twice in 4 years

this may indeed be the case ;)

But I can't help feeling a little nostalgic for the days when cars didn't seem to think they were in charge of everything and were happy to let the driver do the actual driving #grumpyoldman
I’m with you except I’d like a button on the steering wheel that blasted ‘Put your phone down and pay attention you muppet’ to the car in front at about 180dB. Just enough to make their bottom leak 🤨 #grumpyoldman

Yep - I used mine twice in 4 years
I used to live in the US, SWFL. Have you seen the standard of driving in Florida? Abysmal. Diabolical. Dangerous. Drunk. Americans cannot park, they drive into a space (which is part of their laughable driving ‘test’) and reverse out into traffic. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, parallel parks, ever. If they cannot drive into a space by the door of where they are going, they drive to another mall because God forbid they have to walk more that 15 feet to the door. They have parking spaces the size of my back garden and still they scrape the cars together, knock the corners off their cars and use their tow hitch’s on other vehicles if there is less than 25 feet clearance for them to get out of the parking lot. I kid you not. Even the cops with PITT training do not parallel park. Drive in, reverse out.

I used to live in the US, SWFL. Have you seen the standard of driving in Florida? Abysmal. Diabolical. Dangerous. Drunk. Americans cannot park, they drive into a space (which is part of their laughable driving ‘test’) and reverse out into traffic. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, parallel parks, ever. If they cannot drive into a space by the door of where they are going, they drive to another mall because God forbid they have to walk more that 15 feet to the door. They have parking spaces the size of my back garden and still they scrape the cars together, knock the corners off their cars and use their tow hitch’s on other vehicles if there is less than 25 feet clearance for them to get out of the parking lot. I kid you not. Even the cops with PITT training do not parallel park. Drive in, reverse out.
You do realise that there are approximately 130,000 British citizens living in Florida, which might explain the standard of driving. :LOL:
GIF by MOODMAN

I'm usually not one for the clichés but if ever one did apply here to this thread I think it would be "first world problems"!

That's why they went to Florida. They couldn't pass their driving test in the UK 😁
Judging by the driving standards I have endured, er, witnessed, I would wholeheartedly agree. Abysmal standards at best, downright dangerous at worst. No wonder they all keep .40 cal Sig P226’s in the glove box, racked and ready.

Slightly back on topic, I thought about this thread while reversing into the drive today, and my music didn't mute (DAB Radio)

Saying that - it sometimes doesn't come on when I start the car - and just as frustrating that Radio isn't a choice in the Media menu.

I don't hugely mind the radio muting, but it annoys me when the USB player mutes. I'd rather it paused. I keep trying to remember to pause it using the joystick before I put the car into reverse, but I often forget. It doesn't seem to pause once you're in reverse, either.

Maybe it's a safety feature, but thats a bit debatable and so far as I know it isn't an NCAP requirement, so I don't see why it has to be compulsory.

There was a picture on Facebook where someone had blanked out the warning beeps as they reversed because they were listening to their music. They now have a bad case of wall rash on one of the rear corners, all the way through the black paint.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back