How does extra weight effect range?

PeteJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am planning a journey of 315 miles and had my route and charging points set out but have now been told that there will be 4 adults rather than 2. how much difference will this make to my expected range? As my co-pilot is already in panic over range -this will be our first trip of over 40 miles - I would appreciate your experience.

Do you have ‘abetterrouteplanner’? if not give the app a try - you modify weight and many other parameters and calculate the journey.

I have had a look at ABRP which looks very good but am unsure what the entry ' Reference Consumption' means. can anybody help

I have had a look at ABRP which looks very good but am unsure what the entry ' Reference Consumption' means. can anybody help
That's what you would expect to get as an economy (m/kWh, km/kWh) when you're driving.

Start the car, and use the down arrow to cycle to the dash to accumulated statistics, and it'll tell you what you've been getting as an average, and plug that in.

If you want to err on the side of caution, use a lower number than what the car shows. that let's the app figure out how far you'd likely get on a charge.

Good luck, depending where you are traveling there are limited charging options here in Victoria
(unless you are in Ringwood UK lol)

I am planning a journey of 315 miles and had my route and charging points set out but have now been told that there will be 4 adults rather than 2. how much difference will this make to my expected range? As my co-pilot is already in panic over range -this will be our first trip of over 40 miles - I would appreciate your experience.
It will make a difference, but please also ensure you up the tyre pressure as that will help with your rolling tyre resistance, the manual recommended 42 psi cold for a fully loaded car.

It will make a difference, but please also ensure you up the tyre pressure as that will help with your rolling tyre resistance, the manual recommended 42 psi cold for a fully loaded car.
42psi? The manual states 33psi when cold:

Screenshot_20210221-124249.png

Yes - the manual is not great is it? If you look inside the drivers door shut the laden and unladen pressures are on a plate there - you’ll see Mark is correct.
Makes a big difference to mile per KWh, that’s the unladen or one driver PSI

Hi Pete, our experience will be totally different I would imagine to what your planning but our 'worst' consumption has been average 18kWh/100km here in Australia. That's on a 600 klm road trip fully loaded, 30 degrees temperature with AC on, highway speeds (80-100klms) travelling over the Great Dividing Range twice (elevation change of 780 meters each crossing). In summary we've found fully loading adds 3-5 kWh/100km in consumption. Here's a video of a different trip (look at approx 20:20 mark).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom