How much do you spend on charging?

How much do you spend on Charging each Month?

• Total voters
Mine will be higher as I use the car to run the electric heating panels and a few other ancillary things when I’m home.

Mine will be higher as I use the car to run the electric heating panels and a few other ancillary things when I’m home.
Yup me too.
I top up my battery bank (500AH 48V) every night at the moment.
Especially when it dull and cloudy.
Takes 10% from the car overnight.

As I've said before I can't charge at home so I rely on public charging 100% of the time. Since buying my mg4 trophy LR in October I've drove it just under 3000 miles. And if I was to do this in my old car ( VW T-Roc R 2021) I would have spend around double on petrol. Sometimes you get screwed on charging say 90p per kWh but it's still cheaper than petrol. Average say 60p per kWh X 63kwh battery= £37 for around 250 miles.. I was getting 90 miles from £20 worth of petrol in my T-Roc.... It's cheaper but you have to factor in your time charging! I try to charge on the fastest I can find.. I've never charged below 22kwh...the person who buys my car in 3 years will have to deal with the battery lol 🤣

Yeah I suspect pence per mile is the real metric we’re trying to get at here.
In which case mine is somewhere between 2 and 3.5 I believe.
All depends on how you drive also! I do like to drift mine ( on private land 😁) the harder you drive it the quicker the battery goes down.

Yeah but even so you can’t get anywhere NEAR the cost of doing that in an ICE 🤓
15mpg equates to around 45p/mile!

My return is awful at the moment i probably average about 2.4, fairly short journeys, all done in the dark and cold in sport mode.

The key thing the poll misses is ... how many miles do you do each month, and how are you driving? (i.e. what efficiency do you get). Plus cost will depend on where you are charging and what the tariff is.

Too many variables for a useful comparison.
Or also ask how much you used to spend on fuel for your ICE car.

7 months, 5400 miles my ppm calculated each month has varied between 0.6 and 6.2. I have solar but no battery nor cheap overnight rate (hopefully Octopus take over of Shell will complete soon). Over the same period my ice car would have been 13-17ppm.

Well under £10 in Oct, Nov, Dec according to the Ohme app. No public charging was required in those months.

But it's misleading, because my wife gets free charging at work (how long this will last, we'll just have to see).

Our home charging is 7p/kWh because I'm on Intelligent Octopus, but that doesn't tell the whole story because there's a standing charge, and daytime electricity is a bit more expensive than other tariffs. I do suspect that with our low utilisation of the charger, it might be cheaper overall to not be on Intelligent -- but it's so cool! And I do run the dishwasher on the cheap rate...

GiffGaff (phone service) send you a monthly report, including advising you which of their tariffs would have been cheaper for you based on the previous month's usage. It would be nice to get similar from Octopus.

Most expensive charge was an InstaVolt at 85p/kWh with a speed of just under 70kW/h, fastest charge was on a GridServe at just under 86 kW/h (79p/kWh). Here are my XPower summary stats...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 10.17.10.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 10.17.10.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I've been unable to access the free 7kW AC chargers at work since the start of December, due to the factory getting a solar roof (back on them now! 😁 ).

Consequently, I've been using an "open" Tesla supercharger hub a mile from home.
I've been paying between 35p-46p per kWh depending on time of day.
I've been using them so much, I felt it worthwhile to take their £10.99/month membership that drops the prices to the same Tesla owners pay. The break-even is around 90kWh (2-3 charges) per month by my maths.

Charging speed has been pegged at 140kW all the way to 55% full, then dropping to around 60kW by the time I stop at 80% full.

Last edited:
Well under £10 in Oct, Nov, Dec according to the Ohme app. No public charging was required in those months.

But it's misleading, because my wife gets free charging at work (how long this will last, we'll just have to see).

Our home charging is 7p/kWh because I'm on Intelligent Octopus, but that doesn't tell the whole story because there's a standing charge, and daytime electricity is a bit more expensive than other tariffs. I do suspect that with our low utilisation of the charger, it might be cheaper overall to not be on Intelligent -- but it's so cool! And I do run the dishwasher on the cheap rate...

GiffGaff (phone service) send you a monthly report, including advising you which of their tariffs would have been cheaper for you based on the previous month's usage. It would be nice to get similar from Octopus.
Now, early in January I was 100 miles from home with 10% SOC, and applied my rule of "pay for convenience", so I found the nearest 100kWh+ charger (still about 8 miles from where we were staying), and plugged it in for half an hour while I got my FitBit steps for the day.

10% to 80% in 30 minutes. £36.38. So that one charge was more than I spent on charging for the previous four months. It's OK though, when we had an ICE we were putting in £80 of petrol every week or two.

I'm running at about 50% of the cost of fuel that I was putting into a 1 litre 3 valve ICE engine car that operated at 50MPG

This for me is a better comparison. I had a good MPG car, I'm paying about half (just under) to do the same journeys

I charge at my employers charge points at 30p/KWH, I know it would be even cheaper on a home 7Kw, but that is just not an option at the moment.

I charge at my employers charge points at 30p/KWH, I know it would be even cheaper on a home 7Kw, but that is just not an option at the moment.

This is a good deal, when you consider that you'd be paying £800+ for a home charger. It'll take a lot of charges to balance that, if you're getting 30p elsewhere.

All depends on how you drive also! I do like to drift mine ( on private land 😁) the harder you drive it the quicker the battery goes down.
Definitely my issue (not drifting!)....had 100% charge last week, drove around 110 miles and was down to 24% yesterday (XPower). I only granny charge so currently on 26p tariff - though I would like to install a driveway and charger within the next 12-18 months.

About to enter my meter readings tonight but reckon its around £40-50 but I have driven around 500 miles over the last month so it still cheaper than my previous diesel (BMW 520D).... to get that many miles it would likely cost me £70-80 to fill tank.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back