How quickly does your car fall asleep?

Mine first time since Oct 23rd has started unlocking itself if I walk towards it with keys in hand.
Never done it before, always have pressed the unlock on key fob.
What the face and ZzZ 💤 that came up on info screen yday? That’s the first time too.

Mine first time since Oct 23rd has started unlocking itself if I walk towards it with keys in hand.
Never done it before, always have pressed the unlock on key fob.
What the face and ZzZ 💤 that came up on info screen yday? That’s the first time too.
Videos and pictures please 🙏🏼😅

Videos and pictures please 🙏🏼😅
I can’t and it hasn’t done it since 🤣

I am noticing that my car becomes unresponsive to the app within a relatively short time after parking it up and leaving it. Less than 48 hours for sure, although I'm not sure if it's less than 36 hours. The app simply doesn't connect to the car at all, but if I go out to the car and unlock it, then everything returns to normal and the app works again.

It occurs to me that this could be a royal pain in the backside as regards pre-heating - whether plugged in or not. If the car hasn't been used for a couple of days, then there would appear to be no way to pre-heat it without going out into the snow and unlocking it first.

Anybody else noticed this?
Yeh but surely that’s down to wifi service no? Mine can take a few refreshes before it updates on my phone app dependent on weather and Wi-Fi

No, it has nothing to do with wifi and I struggle to see how wifi is even involved. It could be a phone signal issue except that the phone signal here is fine, and every time this happens going to the car and unlocking it cures the problem.

Another Friday night, another case of the car refusing to accept current from the charger. Turning into an absolute farce this thing, too many points of failure which can easily leave you stranded.

I wouldnt recommend this game to a friend at this point.

What do you mean by "fall asleep" and how would you know exactly when it does.

What do you mean by "fall asleep" and how would you know exactly when it does.

We plug the car in around 7 pm. Before bed at around 11 pm we unlock and lock the car to make sure it hasn’t gone to sleep. Too often, including last night, for whatever reason (I assume it’s sleeping) The car will not accept charge from the wall box.

I ask for proof and it is provided every time there is a mischarge, that the wall charger is constantly asking the car to receive current. This time the wall box manufacturer has told me they have had many complaints from MG owners over the last week about mischarges and suggests that there may have been a software update from MG though I haven’t seen anything. The car accepts charge, probably 80% of the time, but the 20% of the time when it doesn’t is really painful and can throw your plans out of the window.

Thanks @rigby44, I was having a senior moment and was confused, thinking it meant unresponsive to the app.
Season 4 Homer GIF by The Simpsons

I’ve had major surgery recently,so I’ve not been able to drive my MG4 for six weeks but Ive just gone out yesterday to check on it alls fine hv battery preheats12 volt battery is at 14.4 volts, I smart works fine just drove out from the garage ,alls good so I’m wondering what all this going to sleep is all about?

Going to sleep refers to the car not responding to any connection with the app. I understand this is to protect the 12v battery which otherwise might run down because of the demands. Note the HV battery should keep the 12v topped up but some people have had problems and at some point the topping up stops so as to protect the HV battery. The 14.4v you saw was the HV charging the 12v and is too high for a powered down uncharging car. The car usually wakes if you unlock it from the fob or door button.

I’ve had major surgery recently,so I’ve not been able to drive my MG4 for six weeks but Ive just gone out yesterday to check on it alls fine hv battery preheats12 volt battery is at 14.4 volts, I smart works fine just drove out from the garage ,alls good so I’m wondering what all this going to sleep is all about?

I hope you never find out.

As explained to me by @rigby44 above, they meant not responding to the charging schedule after plugging the car in a long time before the scheduled charge.

If the car is not taking charge it may need a reboot (disconnect 12V battery) and it may need software updates.

Mine works flawlessly with my Zappi, has never failed to charge correctly in 8 months - but I did have to get the Zappi on the latest firmware first.

Like anything (eg public chargers), there can be incompatibilities between specific makes and there can be car-specific faults that need rectifying.

Does the car charge correcly on other makes of slow charger?
What about rapid charging?

If you can gather evidence of a problem, it will help the dealer.

Ok, I managed to get my Trophy to go to sleep (after 30 hours). So I tested waking it up by using the key to unlock it and relock it, without getting in the car, and it worked - it woke up!
Update with more detail: Got it to go to sleep again (on the app) and tried unlocking the car from inside the house, using the key. It did not wake up, and after 30 seconds, the car locked itself again all on its own. Still asleep.

I unlocked it once more, then re-locked it, both with the key (from inside the house) - and the car woke up! Interesting . . .

Update to confirm that I can wake my car up while it's in the garage, without leaving the house. I simply went into the room adjacent to the attached garage, went right up to the wall, and pressed unlock. The car then responded to the app immediately.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel