How quickly does your car fall asleep?

My experience is that the key has good range with the MG4 (especially held to the head) and so for most people who don't regularly park in a garage without house access - the vast majority normally use street or driveway OR have a garage with internal door - using the key to wake it up after a few days will be fine, if the pre-heat is regularly needed due to the climate.

I believe it takes well over a day to go to sleep anyway and there's nothing wrong with keeping it awake with the app once a day - the sleep function is intended for leaving the car for long periods (eg at airports) and any drain using the app will be no different to waking it up with the key.

So, I'd recommend:
  • Use the key in this situation if you can.
  • If you can't, use the app once a day.
  • Avoid using the app if you are going away for an extended period (let it sleep).
  • Follow MG's advice and if you will be away for more than a month, disconnect the 12V battery.

I have now tried everything. The car shows 4G is on. But it does not update the weather. The GPS in the car works, but the car cannot be found via the app.

• Restart multimedia system
  • Restart vehicle
  • All restarts in different orders
  • WLAN activated (connected to the home wifi)
  • Bluetooth, hotspot enabled and disabled
  • Vehicle opened, closed, started several times
  • restarted everything in between
  • Charging process started and aborted

Nothing wakes up the car so that a connection with iSMART can be established. The only thing that helps is driving the car.

Where the car is, cellular reception is very good. All networks work here. It is the second time in 6300 kilometers (3 months) that the car is not reachable via cell phone.

My experience is that the key has good range with the MG4 (especially held to the head) and so for most people who don't regularly park in a garage without house access - the vast majority normally use street or driveway OR have a garage with internal door - using the key to wake it up after a few days will be fine, if the pre-heat is regularly needed due to the climate.

I believe it takes well over a day to go to sleep anyway and there's nothing wrong with keeping it awake with the app once a day - the sleep function is intended for leaving the car for long periods (eg at airports) and any drain using the app will be no different to waking it up with the key.

So, I'd recommend:
  • Use the key in this situation if you can.
  • If you can't, use the app once a day.
  • Avoid using the app if you are going away for an extended period (let it sleep).
  • Follow MG's advice and if you will be away for more than a month, disconnect the 12V battery.

Thanks for that. My garage is attached to the house but there is no access through the house. I can try going into the room that adjoins the garage and see if the key will open the car from there. If it does, that's probably a reasonable work-round.

Sleepy car again which meant no charging overnight.

Worse this time though, as the car has fallen asleep between being woken up (unlocking) at 22:30 and the charge attempting to commence at 00:30. Falling asleep within two hours and so failing to charge is completely unworkable. Deffo a car issue as we’ve proof the wallbox attempted to provide charge but the car wouldnt accept.

We have about 20 miles to play with today (less in reality) now due to this.

Anyone got any ideas? Getting towards the end of my tether (pun) with it now.

My Trophy at 30% charge went to sleep after 24 hours. Multiple attempts to connect via the app failed until I pressed the lock button on the key fob to activate the 'I'm Here' function. App connected immediately.

Have you a timer switch so that you can test with a granny charger?

Sleepy car again which meant no charging overnight.

Worse this time though, as the car has fallen asleep between being woken up (unlocking) at 22:30 and the charge attempting to commence at 00:30. Falling asleep within two hours and so failing to charge is completely unworkable. Deffo a car issue as we’ve proof the wallbox attempted to provide charge but the car wouldnt accept.

We have about 20 miles to play with today (less in reality) now due to this.

Anyone got any ideas? Getting towards the end of my tether (pun) with it now.
Have you set the charging time in the app and on your Wallbox? If you have that could be causing the problem.

My Trophy at 30% charge went to sleep after 24 hours. Multiple attempts to connect via the app failed until I pressed the lock button on the key fob to activate the 'I'm Here' function. App connected immediately.

Have you a timer switch so that you can test with a granny charger?
I’m happy to unlock/lock the car before bed to make sure it doesnt snooze before charging commences, but it went to sleep within 2 hours last night which isnt on.

Have you set the charging time in the app and on your Wallbox? If you have that could be causing the problem.
No, we dont use the buggy app at all.

The wallbox app works well. You set the minimum kwh rate and a ‘ready time’ and it does its thing.

The sleepy car is the problem. What’s a person to do when the car goes to sleep within two hours of being locked?

The problem could be with your wallbox not sending the corrrect signal to the car to wake it up. If you are running the latest app version and the latest firmware then it might be worth having a word with wallbox's customer services.

The problem could be with your wallbox not sending the corrrect signal to the car to wake it up. If you are running the latest app version and the latest firmware then it might be worth having a word with wallbox's customer services.

I’m in regular contact with the wallbox manufacturer who sends me proof that the charger is attempting to provide current. The wallbox cant wake the car up i’m afraid.

I’m in regular contact with the wallbox manufacturer who sends me proof that the charger is attempting to provide current. The wallbox cant wake the car up i’m afraid.
The other thing to try is to switch the wallbox off at the mains for a few seconds before switching it back on again so it reboots and the same with the car,
Disconnect the 12v battery for a few seconds before reconnecting to reboot all the systems. You'll get loads of warning messages which should disappear after being driven for a bit and you'll need to turn the steering from lock to lock a couple of times.
Or contact your dealer to see if there is a software update.

Yes deep sleep state is there to preserve both batteries but it has never been entirely clear how/when it gets activated.
Indeed. Back in April, my Trophy was all over the place, going to sleep in anything from 6 hours to 30. I have tried repeating this now, to check what I said earlier about waking up, but it won't go to sleep at all. After leaving it for 24 hours, then 30 with no joy, for my latest test I left it for 48 hours, and the app woke it up yet again, no problem!

I am baffled.

Ok, I managed to get my Trophy to go to sleep (after 30 hours). So I tested waking it up by using the key to unlock it and relock it, without getting in the car, and it worked - it woke up!

Why this procedure didnt work back in April, I have no idea.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back