How quickly does your car fall asleep?

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I am noticing that my car becomes unresponsive to the app within a relatively short time after parking it up and leaving it. Less than 48 hours for sure, although I'm not sure if it's less than 36 hours. The app simply doesn't connect to the car at all, but if I go out to the car and unlock it, then everything returns to normal and the app works again.

It occurs to me that this could be a royal pain in the backside as regards pre-heating - whether plugged in or not. If the car hasn't been used for a couple of days, then there would appear to be no way to pre-heat it without going out into the snow and unlocking it first.

Anybody else noticed this?

Once mine goes beyond 24hrs it seems to fall asleep. I’ll try to check it, but pretty sure it’s 24 for me.

This was discussed here a year ago in MG ismart issues then again in April this year in MG4 ismart loses car while charging , in which I described the 'zombie state', which is woken up by unlocking the car with the remote key, and sitting in it. Lots of interesting stuff in both threads.

As I recall, the zombie state cuts in at a large variety of different time intervals, even on the same car. I have mostly given up using the app now, so I don't notice it so much.

Thanks very much for those links, very helpful.

Before I start going through the threads, is there any way to wake the car up without leaving the house?
Depending on how far the car is away from the house it is possible to unlock and relock the car from inside the house using the key fob.

I am noticing that my car becomes unresponsive to the app within a relatively short time after parking it up and leaving it. Less than 48 hours for sure, although I'm not sure if it's less than 36 hours. The app simply doesn't connect to the car at all, but if I go out to the car and unlock it, then everything returns to normal and the app works again.

It occurs to me that this could be a royal pain in the backside as regards pre-heating - whether plugged in or not. If the car hasn't been used for a couple of days, then there would appear to be no way to pre-heat it without going out into the snow and unlocking it first.

Anybody else noticed this?
Ours falls asleep after 3-4 hours. To the point where we plug it in for an overnight charge at 6pm, and we must remember to unlock/lock it before before bed to ensure its ‘awake’ for when the charge commences at 00:30.

Not good.

Depending on how far the car is away from the house it is possible to unlock and relock the car from inside the house using the key fob.
Also try the old 'head' trick of putting the key against your head to unlock with greater range (it really does work).

Yes deep sleep state is there to preserve both batteries but it has never been entirely clear how/when it gets activated.

This was discussed here a year ago in MG ismart issues then again in April this year in MG4 ismart loses car while charging , in which I described the 'zombie state', which is woken up by unlocking the car with the remote key, and sitting in it. Lots of interesting stuff in both threads.

As I recall, the zombie state cuts in at a large variety of different time intervals, even on the same car. I have mostly given up using the app now, so I don't notice it so much.
When mine has gone zombie I've never had to physically sit in the car to wake it up - the simple act of unlocking/locking does the trick. :)

is there any way to wake the car up without leaving the house?
I tried unlocking and locking the car with the remote from the house, and it didn't wake up (Trophy). However, siteguru's car does wake up - just have to try it and see. Otherwise you'll have to brave storm Babet and go to the garage!

I find quite frequently the app requests my password before letting me in, that's something new.
Other times the app tells me it cannot locate the car, the work around for this is tap vehicle status which usually works then back to the front page whereby the app then correctly locates the car.
On another note, after tapping the MG iSMART icon to open the app there is now a three second delay whereas it used to be instant showing the hello screen. This could just be me, no other apps perform this way apart from the myenergi app.

That sounds like a plan. If the car is on the driveway I'm sure it will open with the key fob. If it's in the garage though, I doubt it. I'll give it a try.

The remote pre-heating is a great feature, but MG seem determined to put all sorts of obstacles in the way of us actually being able to use it.

I’m a Gtechnic fan but would consider the Gyeon matte suite too :-

And for subsequent washing some dedicated matte shampoo like this :

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I tried this afternoon. The car was sitting out on the driveway. asleep and not responding to the app. I stood in the front doorway and unlocked it with the key fob. Once I'd done that, it was awake and responsive to the app and I was able to use the app to lock it again. So far so good.

The problem is that if the weather is really cold the car is going to be inside the garage, and I don't think the key fob will get to it there. Which is a damn nuisance. There really seems to be a string of obstacles put in the way of our being able to pre-heat the car.

What are we supposed to do? Wake the car up with the app before it goes to sleep, every time, to keep it awake so we'll be able to pre-heat it when we want to? And then discover the 12v is now flat so we're screwed anyway?

Last edited:
I tried this afternoon. The car was sitting out on the driveway. asleep and not responding to the app. I stood in the front doorway and unlocked it with the key fob. Once I'd done that, it was awake and responsive to the app and I was able to use the app to lock it again. So far so good.

The problem is that if the weather is really cold the car is going to be inside the garage, and I don't think the key fob will get to it there. Which is a damn nuisance. There really seems to be a string of obstacles put in the way of our being able to pre-heat the car.

What are we supposed to do? Wake the car up with the app before it goes to sleep, every time, to keep it awake so we'll be able to pre-heat it when we want to? And then discover the 12v is now flat so we're screwed anyway?
but how long do you really need to preheat the car for?

It's a question of being able to initiate the pre-heating when you want to. Imagine a cold snap, and for whatever reason you haven't needed the car for a couple of days. Then you need it first thing in the morning, when it's still dark and snowing. The car is asleep, and you can't get it to respond to the app. What do you do? It's in the garage, where the signal from the key fob won't reach. How do you wake it up to get it to take the pre-heat command?

We can not wake up the car with the keys. Also to left the car open until it locked itself again does not work. The only thing that helps is driving.

Is there still no solution?

It's a question of being able to initiate the pre-heating when you want to. Imagine a cold snap, and for whatever reason you haven't needed the car for a couple of days. Then you need it first thing in the morning, when it's still dark and snowing. The car is asleep, and you can't get it to respond to the app. What do you do? It's in the garage, where the signal from the key fob won't reach. How do you wake it up to get it to take the pre-heat command?
By preheating you mean the battery or the inside? Ten minutes before driving off just plug it in and start the a/c system manually.
Surely within 10 minutes it will be warm enough? Or am I missing something?

I mean pre-heating the cabin so you get into a warm car.

The thing you are missing is that most of us want to start the pre-heat from the comfort of our homes, as we are getting ready to leave, putting on boots, getting all our stuff together and so on. Maybe having a last cup of tea. When we eventually leave the house and trudge through the snow to the garage, we want to be met by a warm car that has already done the pre-heat thing.

We do not want to have to get suited and booted and go out to the garage through the snow to open the car and wake it up so we can turn on the heater, then go back in the house and wait ten minutes for the car to get warm. It negates the whole point of the remote control pre-heating function.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back