How to Leave my MG4 parked but movable?

Expat Ever

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Here in Thailand almost every covered car park allows parking at 90 degrees to the marked parking bays, but vehicles must be left in neutral with the handbrake off so the attendants can push them to allow access to the blocked areas. So far I've managed to avoid using these spaces with my MG4 Model X (Thai Trophy equivalent) but sooner or later it's going to be an issue. I was expecting to find a setting for this but don't see one anywhere obvious. Can anyone tell me how (or if) it can be done?

I don't think it is possible ... as soon as you open the driver's door the car applies the parking brake. I suppose you could do a test by stopping, putting the car into N, climbing across to the passenger seat and exiting that way - see what happens? And see what happens when you press the lock button.

From the manual page 255,
DO NOT tow the vehicle with any of the driving wheels in contact with the road surface, this will avoid electric drive transmission damage. When it is necessary to temporarily push or tow the vehicle from a dangerous situation or onto the transporter, the speed must remain below 3 mph and be completed with in 3 minutes.
When pushing or towing the vehicle for temporary situation, the driver's side seat belt should be inserted into the lock and maintained in the inserted state, and then place the electric
drive transmission in Neutral in order to release the EPB , otherwise the vehicle may be damaged.

That doesn't make sense. Towing an EV is not at all a good idea, and disabling sensors isn't going to change that.

As I understand it, at least part of it related to regeneration, and the danger of trying to push regenerated power into the battery when there's nowhere for it to go.

That doesn't make sense. Towing an EV is not at all a good idea, and disabling sensors isn't going to change that.

As I understand it, at least part of it related to regeneration, and the danger of trying to push regenerated power into the battery when there's nowhere for it to go.

I think you’d want to disable the sensors if you are towing rather than being towed

No its for if you use the car to tow something ie a trailer or caravan

................... Can anyone tell me how (or if) it can be done?

I'm sure I saw a Youtube video where someone gave this tip :-

1. Leave the car in Neutral and do not open the driver door.
2. Climb over and leave the car via the passenger side door.
3. Keep the drivers seatbelt clipped in (or buy a dummy clip off Ebay/ Amazon like I have !)

This may be completely wrong but it rings a bell with me 😁😉

Also locking the car may stop this working too 😒

Here in Thailand almost every covered car park allows parking at 90 degrees to the marked parking bays, but vehicles must be left in neutral with the handbrake off so the attendants can push them to allow access to the blocked areas. So far I've managed to avoid using these spaces with my MG4 Model X (Thai Trophy equivalent) but sooner or later it's going to be an issue. I was expecting to find a setting for this but don't see one anywhere obvious. Can anyone tell me how (or if) it can be done?

I would like to assist as I have done just that, this morning to free off and strip down my rear brakes.

Get something you can use to press down the brake pedal with, whilst sitting in the passenger seat.
I had a 2ft pole.

Press down the rear of the driver's seat, so the car comes to life.

Press down the brake pedal with the pole or whatever you have used.

At the same time, turn selector knob to neutral and release the handbrake.

You may now release the footbrake and get out.

The car will remain in neutral for as long as you want.

If you lock it, or open the drivers door the handbrake will come on.

I did all this after I had jacked up the side I was working on and had chocked the remaining 3 wheels.👍

Last edited:
Sorry but I have to ask, what do you mean park at 90° to the parking bay? Why not just, you know park in the bay. I might need a drawing.

Too many cars, not enough spaces, and this workaround is the locally-accepted method to accommodate as many as possible? :)
Yes, that's right. Park at the side of the car park's 'road' and therefore across the fronts/backs of the cars parked in the bays. The cars get pushed out of the way when cars need to move from or into the bays. My son used to live in Thailand and one time, after a trip away, took a little time to find his car as it had been pushed quite a way along the car park.

Hi I made a short video on how to do this :-

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel