How to save electrons whilst doing nothing?

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So, happen to be sitting in the car, doing nothing for a good while.
I pulled up and parked, so am in 'ready' mode with park brake on.
Can I just sit here doing nothing and it won't waste electrons?
What if I want a bit of warmth and music. Obviously don't want to take the top off the 12v battery. Is there an aux status?

Do I have to have it in 'not ready' status? If so, how do I switch to that, short of getting out, climbing back in and not touching brake pedal ?

Cheers m'dears

You'll be fine. The amount of power used by the auxiliary systems pales into insignificance beside the amount used to move the car. People have tested this in various EVs and starting with a reasonably full battery you've got a couple of days before you run out.

If the car is turned on, the 12v will be topped up from the traction battery.

What I want to know is how to keep the car on while NOT sitting in the driver's seat.

You'll be fine. The amount of power used by the auxiliary systems pales into insignificance beside the amount used to move the car. People have tested this in various EVs and starting with a reasonably full battery you've got a couple of days before you run out.

If the car is turned on, the 12v will be topped up from the traction battery.
So leave it in ready mode, or put into ready mode if not already?
Currently got a healthy 14.2v after half an hour in ready mode, so guessing that's the way.

20kg weight ? You don't want to mis-shape(?) the seat cushion by leaving anything too small/heavy, ie. concentrated in place for too long.

I'll have to experiment. Simply leaving the key in the car doesn't work. But the two people we know who have slept in the MG4 haven't mentioned it as a problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back