How to tell when charging is complete?

[This was to FiferMG4 - cross-posting.]

It's gradual, I think. It's certainly starting to be noticeable at 97% but it's not at full strength. At first the regen is only 1% to 2%, but this increases fairly quickly and it's at a useful level by 95%.

From being surprised that it's there at all when I first got the car, I've moved quite quickly to being surprised when it's not there.

The car has normal brakes still. šŸ˜‰

Ha ha.

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe I did not get your point. I always charge the car to 100% and don't mind having less regenerative braking for a few miles.

Sorry, I was posting from my phone, not always such a good idea. I was referring to a post from another member, who said he didn't charge his SR to 100% so as not to lose regenerative braking, for economy reasons. I'm not sure that would make a significant difference unless your first couple of miles of travel were usually downhill.

(I do know the car has brakes! ;) )

Update. This morning I drove to a nearby Botanic Garden to meet a friend for lunch. The car was still at about 93%, but since the charger was free to ChargePlace Scotland members I thought I'd just top up. So the car was on 100% when I left.

It moved to 99% very quickly, and I was seeing 1% regeneration. The road went gently downhill for a bit, so I just took my foot off and let the car coast. The display went back to 100% after a couple of hundred yards of this! So it's able to regenerate at least to some extent even at a very high SoC.

As soon as I put my foot back on the accelerator it flipped back to 99%.

Update. This morning I drove to a nearby Botanic Garden to meet a friend for lunch. The car was still at about 93%, but since the charger was free to ChargePlace Scotland members I thought I'd just top up. So the car was on 100% when I left.

It moved to 99% very quickly, and I was seeing 1% regeneration. The road went gently downhill for a bit, so I just took my foot off and let the car coast. The display went back to 100% after a couple of hundred yards of this! So it's able to regenerate at least to some extent even at a very high SoC.

Although I am not up Scotland a lot. I have applied for a charge place Scotland RFID card. So hopefully Iā€™ll be able to use it when I come up at Christmas albeit the Hotel we stay at has some chargers on their site for customers that are free.

Oh boy - so the proof of the pootling is most certainly in the sweetening šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Right at side of the Race Course at Ayr. We have stayed there a few times now. We love it and we get well looked after.

Lovely. I'm currently at the Stobo Castle Health Spa having a relaxing break. Last time I was here I woke in the morning to find that someone was washing my car!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back