HV battery not charging

mederham

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All.

So, I have an MG5 LR Exclusive 1st gen. Over the past two/three weeks the economy has started to drop which is to be expected at this time of year with wet-er roads, colder temps etc. However, driving like the proverbial nun, I was struggling to get more than 1.5-2.1m/kW and average went down from 4.4 to 2.1m/kW. Then, it would not charge from my Alfen home charger and took four or five attempts to get it to start and stay charging but would only charge for around 30mins then drop out. I had the BG engineer booked to call and check the charger. However, this week, the car has not accepted charge from the 22.5kW Easee chargers and the Project EV chargers at work or the fast chargers at Tesco. It starts, stays in charge for around a minute then stops.

I've got it booked in with Drive MG in Hull a week on Monday for diagnostics. It is now on charge through the plug-top snail charger and is accepting charge albeit at the usual very slow rate. Cannot see anything in the settings that may be causing this and have not changed anything. Also, not been through deep water, splashed through standing water etc as I know this can sometimes cause issues underneath.

The charged state shows 77% and range 82 miles which does not equate to the normal battery level and range.

Has anyone had an issue like this previously and if so, was there an outcome and diagnosis from their garage?

Thanks in advance everyone

Were these Tethered or Untethered chargers? If Untethered have you tried with a different cable?

If you know someone with an EV maybe you can ask them if you can try with their cable to save buying one.

As it's charging with the granny/3pin it sounds like the On board charger is probably working.

In terms of the range showing on the Guess o meter (GOM) it's probably because of your recent journeys getting such low miles per KW/h if you reset the trip computer it will probably revert to normal. (Which doesn't actually mean anything other than the car thinks it can go further than it can).

Edit:

If it does turn out to be the OBC playing up you might be able to get some charge using a rapid charger as those do the AC > DC conversion in the charger rather than using the OBC in the car.

Edit2: Also worth looking at the connectors on the cable and charger/car I think someone recently posted that they had problems charging and it turned out an insect had crawled into one of the plugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's going to be my next step - have read that other EV's have had a similar issue and disconnecting the 12v resets the software, trips etc. Will attempt later and see how this goes and report back.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom