HV Battery Shut Off

BazDaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was on a trip from Nottingham to Bolton, and decided to do a top up charge at Birch West services just before J18 on the M62. They had Grid-serve so though I would have no problems. Battery was at 48%, connected the charger and started the process to charge, had trouble pairing, so tried the next charger without moving the vehicle, same problem, so I thought I would move to the third charger, that's when I found out that the HV Battery Shut off warning came on then the warning Vehicle Control System fault. Was unable to put the vehicle into Reverse or Drive. Had to call out Greenflag, They tried the 12V battery disconnect trick, but this did nothing, so had to be transported back home. The car is now with MG Nottingham and waiting for a report and fix. Has anyone else had this problem?. The vehicle is only 2 months old.

Doesn't the car come with AA cover being relatively new? Or is it just they they use GreenFlag in your area?

This may well be worth a read:

Didn't know I have free MG assist, wasn't informed by the Garage when I bought the car
The info is on their site, so you can see whether it should apply to you: Roadside Assistance | My MG

Good to have a read of that as well as what the warranty actually covers - for any car, it's a gamble to rely solely on Sales for info.

Some lease companies will not use MG assist as they have the own contracts like motability use RAC
but if you have bought your car you get free AA cover / MG assist every year as long as you get main dealer service

Others have had this problem and I have had exactly the same problem when using Gridserve at Sedgemoor Services M5 Northbound a few months ago. The AA guy plugged his PC in a reset something and all was well.

I went through a pretty extensive project of trial and error to replicate the fault and haven’t so far. It happened under pretty similar circumstances of plugging in two different fast chargers and a standard 7kW charger in reasonably quick succession and then it ‘bricked’ i.e. it would not go backwards or forwards and the display came up with ‘HV Battery Shut off’.

I contacted MG UK service and they were/are really interested to see if/when it happens again to take it to a dealership and undertake fault diagnosis. You are in exactly that situation and it would be really great if you or the dealership would report the fault found to MG UK service. The e-mail address is:
customer.service ‘at’ mg.co.uk
(Replacing the ‘at’ with @)

I would be interested to follow up with you and try and find a root cause.

You will find other post allude to a software/system update that solves the problem but at least I haven’t found this update and the UK MG service team are not aware of an update. However others in this forum believe there is an update. The evidence some have offered indicates that this update does solve the problem but in my own experience I have charged many times since and haven’t experienced the same problem and I have not had any updates done to my vehicle. The only thing I have done is avoid plugging/unplugging chargers in quick succession.

Edited to correct typos

Last edited:
This happened to me recently, also had car put on a truck and delivered to the closest MG dealer to me. I also had this error yesterday, after switching car on but a shutdown and start again the error went away. If it happens again I will take it to MG dealer.

Just spoken to the garage and all they have done at the moment is clear the fault codes and testing to see if they come back, so far not. They have also sent a query to MG and waiting a reply

Hi all on this post.
some time I think the year on a pod cast this came up about cars bricking after charging, now there where updates to stop this and Miles from the pod cast listed the updates that need to be done and should be done at PDI. From my memory the car that where done have been ok now. There was a list of five update to be done.

hope this is of help.

Someone also posted that it might be preferable to start and stop rapid charging from the vehicle display or the app to avoid the rapid charger unit being in control of the process and potentially not stopping the connection/charging process in a way the car expects. So far, I have only used Osprey rapid chargers (old and new models) through the Bonnet App but I have always used the iSmart app to stop the charge on each occasion and had no issues. I remember the build date on the certification paperwork in the glovebox for my car was sometime in June 2022, so this might also make a difference.

Now found it pod cast before 7 June

I’m pretty sure that Miles stated in the last podcast that AS-22-025 is the update reference for VCU,EVCC,CCU,BMS,TC.
The dealer can claim on AS-22028 for the cost of doing the update.

Update, The garage did an BMS update and now have the car back, only charged at home so far, and unless I travel anywhere with the distance that will require me to charge else where, I won't be testing it on an public charger

Would be better to test it out as if you need to go some where you could get stuck. i think you need to ask the garage to check that the update in my other post have been done and name them as if these have not been done it will happen again.

Update, The garage did an BMS update and now have the car back, only charged at home so far, and unless I travel anywhere with the distance that will require me to charge else where, I won't be testing it on an public charger
On the contrary you should charge on a public charger locally. Better to have a fault locally and easier to recover than when you are far from home. If it all works OK then it will ease your mind for when you do need to use it away from home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom