HV Battery Shutdown

The fault - sudden loss of power and rapid deceleration as you desperately try and get to the hard shoulder. It might coincide with being in cruise and then braking.

Car needs to come to a full stop. Place in park. Foot on brake and car says ready and power is restored

I have had the car for three months. The car had this fault three times in the first two weeks. AA disconnected battery and fault seemed to stop. Happened a fourth time and took it into MG who updated the software. Just happened for a fifth time so it's not fixed.

Very dangerous. Has anyone else had this fault or had it resolved?
The AA are excellent- my zs ev has had this fault countless times. AA fix each time and mg say nothing wrong. I now avoid motorways because this happened to my son on a smart motorway. Very dangerous.

Had similar faults on my zs ev. Rejected it and got money back. MGs are rubbish!
Interesting- I tried like hell to get MG to accept fault but they would not. HV failures and battery capacity. Their diagnostics are really bad.

AA and this forum know more about MGs than MG.

Hi
As the car has had this same fault 3 time I would start looking into having it replaced with a new car. The person work with used to be a BWW sale Manager for some years and this used to be the rule, now I do not know if covers all makes but look in to it.
It's through a lease company. The lease company and broker are taking no responsibility. I don't own the car so can't send it back. Intend on letting MG look at it again next Wednesday. Second time it will have been in. If it happens after that then I will push to have it replaced. Cheers R

Sounds very similar to my experience in terms of issue with the car and the dealerships ability to diagnose & repair. As everything is under warranty it’s “sounds” like the dealers get pretty poor support from MG themselves.

Rusty168 - that sounds horrible. My only “HV Battery Disconnect” warnings have come while public charging on a 350Kw rapid charger. Car failed to connect first time, and then went “oops, don’t like this” when I retried. Wife not happy as we were some way from home in the evening. Called MGAA to recover us. Just as he turned up I tried a further start and this time it worked as advertised, very embarrassing! I then had the Tesla update applied (for £95 - daylight robbery) and charged successfully on Tesla superchargers a couple of times. Next time I used an IONITY 350Khw charger again, and the same thing happened - HV disconnect and total shutdown for about 30 mins. Wife not happy again. I then took the ZS to the dealer for diagnosis and they found a Record of a ‘historic spike’ in the computer indicating the past failure. They wiped this off and I have since had no trouble. Wife still not happy, so we replanned our trip to France by using her smelly ICE car instead! I think the lesson is to only use public chargers of up to 100Kwh : the car only wants to charge at about 60, so there’s no point in using a pokier charger anyway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back