Hypervolt charging an MG5LR

Reaction score
Driving
Does anyone have a Hypervolt Home Charger for their MG5LR? If so, have you tried a Balancing Charge yet? It's a bit too early for mine as I've only done 700 miles but, on the two occasions that I have done a 100% charge, the Hypervolt has stopped correctly at 100% but then showed no sign of balancing when left on. Is it because my car is too new and will the charger come on again when the car is older and needs a balance? Or, do I have to do something different to ensure that it does balance? In all other respects the Hypervolt and car seem totally suited to each other and the App (for the charger) is a doddle to use.

How do you know the charging has stopped?
The car (rather deceptively) says "100% finished" while balancing and "Connected, uncharged" when it is in fact full charged.

How do you know the charging has stopped?
The car (rather deceptively) says "100% finished" while balancing and "Connected, uncharged" when it is in fact full charged.
Exactly the question that I was going to ask! Leaving it on the charger long, long after it is at 100% gives the same, non-committal response from the screen. When has my MG5LR balanced?

"How do you know the charging has stopped?
The car (rather deceptively) says "100% finished" while balancing and "Connected, uncharged" when it is in fact full charged."

Because there's no activity showing on the Hypervolt app.

Last edited:
Use your IHD, check what your background usage is then see what it shows during a charge and what it drops to during a balance, something like about 300-500w

You don't really need to do that as you can check charging current directly on the HyperVolt App.
I posted details on a balance charge here:

Does anyone have a Hypervolt Home Charger for their MG5LR? If so, have you tried a Balancing Charge yet? It's a bit too early for mine as I've only done 700 miles but, on the two occasions that I have done a 100% charge, the Hypervolt has stopped correctly at 100% but then showed no sign of balancing when left on. Is it because my car is too new and will the charger come on again when the car is older and needs a balance? Or, do I have to do something different to ensure that it does balance? In all other respects the Hypervolt and car seem totally suited to each other and the App (for the charger) is a doddle to use.
I have a 5LR and a hypervolt. I believe the car tells the charger how much power to provide, not the other way round.

I haven't really seen it obviously spend time doing a balance charge (other than the rate dropping for the last 15 nimute slot). I haven't sat and watched the display either. I tend to keep it between 40% - 80% and only push it to 100% if I have a long trip. I almost never use rapids either, so I'm assuming that the times it has been taken up to 100% it hasn't been that far out of balance anyway so took very little time to sort it out.

Reading between the lines on the forums here (and especially the ZS one with the dodgy BMS they had) I'm assuming that you can more or less tell if a battery is balanced by the voltage in the HV battery (immediately after charging, but before taking the car to 'ready' mode - press the start button twice without pressing the brake).

I think a 100% charged and balanced battery in a 5LR should read 406v.

Feel free to correct if that assumption is pants though....

You don't really need to do that as you can check charging current directly on the HyperVolt App.
I posted details on a balance charge here:
Aha! Thanks for that. Looking at your post, it certainly looks like it's doing some balancing. Maybe the rest in between did it good ;) I will give this a go next time but, as I said, mine may be a bit too new to need a balance so far. But thanks again!

I have a 5LR and a hypervolt. I believe the car tells the charger how much power to provide, not the other way round.

I haven't really seen it obviously spend time doing a balance charge (other than the rate dropping for the last 15 nimute slot). I haven't sat and watched the display either. I tend to keep it between 40% - 80% and only push it to 100% if I have a long trip. I almost never use rapids either, so I'm assuming that the times it has been taken up to 100% it hasn't been that far out of balance anyway so took very little time to sort it out.

Reading between the lines on the forums here (and especially the ZS one with the dodgy BMS they had) I'm assuming that you can more or less tell if a battery is balanced by the voltage in the HV battery (immediately after charging, but before taking the car to 'ready' mode - press the start button twice without pressing the brake).

I think a 100% charged and balanced battery in a 5LR should read 406v.

Feel free to correct if that assumption is pants though....
Thanks, I'll try that next time I go to 100%. I've only done one partial Rapid charge (Instavolt), just to see what it's like............easy with Instavolt at least! So, yes, all my charging so far is at home and normally to around 80%. The first 100% charge was to see how it went and the second was to start a period to measure consumption against the car's estimate. Although I suspect that the car will be more accurate!

Unless I am doing a long journey, I tend to use the free local DC Rapid chargers to around 80% or less, or occasionally AC chargers, at the local train station, etc. This only happens around once a fortnight.

But if I know I'm doing a long journey the next day, I will charge to 100% at home using my Hypervolt - being on a single rate (18.550p per kWh - don't think the Hypervolt calculates cost correctly?) I pop the car on whenever I get home and leave for 16+ hours - can't say I've noticed it balancing in the past 2.5k miles. I'm sure it's happened if it's needed to - I generally don't give it much thought 🤷‍♂️

Honestly not sure if this indicates balancing or not - it just does it's thing.

1644423999588.png

Unless I am doing a long journey, I tend to use the free local DC Rapid chargers to around 80% or less, or occasionally AC chargers, at the local train station, etc. This only happens around once a fortnight.

But if I know I'm doing a long journey the next day, I will charge to 100% at home using my Hypervolt - being on a single rate (18.550p per kWh - don't think the Hypervolt calculates cost correctly?) I pop the car on whenever I get home and leave for 16+ hours - can't say I've noticed it balancing in the past 2.5k miles. I'm sure it's happened if it's needed to - I generally don't give it much thought 🤷‍♂️

Honestly not sure if this indicates balancing or not - it just does it's thing.

View attachment 6882
Certainly the Hypervolt doesn't calculate cost at the moment, it is just using a pre-fixed rate. But they are currently trying out a Beta version that does allow the input of the correct rate. As for the graph? It's either the normal fall off as it reaches 100% or, maybe, it's balancing over a half hour period?

Certainly the Hypervolt doesn't calculate cost at the moment, it is just using a pre-fixed rate. But they are currently trying out a Beta version that does allow the input of the correct rate. As for the graph? It's either the normal fall off as it reaches 100% or, maybe, it's balancing over a half hour period?
You can already input rate - just doesn’t seem to use the value correctly

BF630097-4B94-4B90-8F9A-0D28055101E1.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom