In car acceleration sound

Powerwing

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Any idea if there is a way to add or if MG can add in car acceleration sounds to create drama and the buzz you get from non EV sports cars. It would be nice to able to download your own sounds to allow you to have control over your sport mode driving experience

There is an aftermarket "exhaust" you can buy that has sounds. Or buy an Ioniq 5N. I tried it...not sold. The problem is you get the sounds but not the vibration (unless your X-Power has them 😂) so it's a bit uncanny valley.

There is an aftermarket "exhaust" you can buy that has sounds. Or buy an Ioniq 5N. I tried it...not sold. The problem is you get the sounds but not the vibration (unless your X-Power has them 😂) so it's a bit uncanny valley.
No vibration issues just want more feedback and drama when you put your foot down in sport mode......even if it just sounds like the Jetsons. Happy with smooth quietness when driving most of the time but want more of an adrenaline rush when putting my foot down

Have to admit the silence would appeal to me, not a fan a piped noise. I like the idea of a silent assassin type thing in the X Power. For example leaving someone for dead at the lights in silence, while the other car is making a load of noise but getting nowhere. But each to their own. 🙂👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea if there is a way to add or if MG can add in car acceleration sounds to create drama and the buzz you get from non EV sports cars. It would be nice to able to download your own sounds to allow you to have control over your sport mode driving experience
You could do this?

Have to admit the silence would appeal to me, not a fan a piped noise. I like the idea of a silent assassin type thing in the X Power. For example leaving someone for dead at the lights in silence, while the other car is making a load of noise but getting nowhere. But each to their own. 🙂👍
I love the silence most of the time too, eg. when cruising and normal driving. However on accelerating hard in sport mode there's no drama apart from the effects of g force. It would be good to have the option to mess about with various in car sounds or choose silence

I disabled the "enhanced" sounds through the bodywork in my Golf R as I preferred the natural engine sound (albeit a bit quiter), and told the tuner not to add those artificial overrun pops and bangs that everyone has now. But then sadly I wasn't 20 anymore :(

More cars seem to be adding sound options, new Mini electrics change sounds based on driving modes and the of course there are the Hans Zimmer sounds commissioned by BMW

If you want to geek out and create a universal solution then you could code something for your phone based on the accelerometer, like this person has...

Sad really. The ICE engineers spend thousands of hours to try to make cars quieter then young lads buy 'big box' exhausts and undo all that good work. Personally, I get enough of a 'buzz' flooring the throttle to overtake something.

🙄

Sad really. The ICE engineers spend thousands of hours to try to make cars quieter then young lads buy 'big box' exhausts and undo all that good work. Personally, I get enough of a 'buzz' flooring the throttle to overtake something.
I did too for 5 mins but it soon wears off. I don't always want to maximum floor it forva buzz. It would be nice to have some kind of feedback and involvement on acceleration and deceleration when you want it as we used to with ice cars at lower speeds. Would make it more of a "drivers car". Obviously it would have an on/off switch so you can choose silence if that's your thing

I thought it was only the Xpower that suffered with that?

Silence is golden for me. I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for this but I don't really consider the XP a young folks car because it's too "civilised and serene" I'm pretty good at taking on perspectives and mulling over past times when I craved for a rip roaring exhaust, stick shifter and fighting with the wheel to get the damn torque steering thing around the bends (which is probably the definition of the so called Hot Hatch) but now I truly believe that most us older folk prefer to just quietly blow them all away and gap just about anything - if we can be bothered and still awake. For me my "White Hot Hatch" is the ultimate dream car to own, now we're in 2024.

I agree. My FWD Focus ST is such a pain to drive sometimes. It's built down to a price unfortunately and lacks the ability to put the power down properly, even in stock trim. Ford's excuse for a control system to keep the torque steer in check just makes things worse. It's easier and safer to drive with the 'stability control' turned off. And it has fake 'engine noise' pumped into the car through the speakers - bloody awful system, no better than the original which used actual engine noise piped in from the intake through physical pipework - why???
It's completely stock and a nice stealthy grey but it seems to attract a lot of attention from the police - I've been followed quite a few times, presumably while they're carrying out whatever checks they do. Guess they're disappointed when their 'boy racer' turns out to be twice their age :rolleyes:

As far as the X-Power goes, when I get one I'm going to ditch the orange caliper covers. Horrible colour for any car that isn't orange or green in my opinion. Can't make up my mind whether to paint them black or red. Hopefully, by the time I get one. I'll have made a decision...

Last edited:
More cars seem to be adding sound options, new Mini electrics change sounds based on driving modes and the of course there are the Hans Zimmer sounds commissioned by BMW

If you want to geek out and create a universal solution then you could code something for your phone based on the accelerometer, like this person has...

neighbour bought new Megane EV and said it comes with different sound options (one actually sounds like a spaceship) - he didnt like them so turned them off lol

Yes and does it sound authentic going up and down the gears like an actual gearbox - probably not. The thing is, EVs don't need a gearbox, they just get on with it. So at the end of the day what is the point of sounding like one! It's a mystery to me.

Silence is golden for me. I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for this but I don't really consider the XP a young folks car because it's too "civilised and serene" I'm pretty good at taking on perspectives and mulling over past times when I craved for a rip roaring exhaust, stick shifter and fighting with the wheel to get the damn torque steering thing around the bends (which is probably the definition of the so called Hot Hatch) but now I truly believe that most us older folk prefer to just quietly blow them all away and gap just about anything - if we can be bothered and still awake. For me my "White Hot Hatch" is the ultimate dream car to own, now we're in 2024.
You may not realise it but u leave a sonic boom behind u for ice people to complain about. If only.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom