In the words of Clarkson “I did a thing”

I think your predictive savings are a little optimistic, but not by much with todays prices. In 2020, I logged all my usage, solar production and battery storage (8 kWh with 3kWh inverter). My electricity would have cost £959 for the year. With solar alone it would have cost £579, but with the battery as well, my bill for 2020 was £390.

There's no way I'd get that return on a savings account. :)
As I said, more than happy to be proved wrong. Basically I’m working off a saving of 3000kwh*28p = £840 (variable) - 3000kwh*8.5= £255 (battery storage at 7.5p, but extra added for round trip loss etc - as well as loadshifting washing machine and dishwasher etc). So rough saving of £585 per year (as things stand now compared to variable rates - more saving if compared to octopus go day rate which at the moment is 35p/kWh so maybe an extra £150-£210 saved). Obviously not included the standing charge which would add roughly £182.50 to the final figures.

I’m also trying to look into the future somewhat, as if the variable goes up/ or normal day usage tariff goes up the savings will be greater, obviously if it comes down, the savings won’t be as great - but I can’t really see that happening in the near future, can you?

With the car charging, I’m looking at about again, 3500kwh to charge up at 7.5p (if I can stick to just night time charging during the cheap time) coming to 3500kwh*7.5p = £262.5 For the year. We tend to not travel too far and it’s mainly for my wife to commute 40 miles a day. Recently filled the car up these past 2 weeks - £80 last week and £90 this week! GOM reads roughly 400 miles on a full tank! 😱😱😱

Figures may be a tad Optimistic, but i’m an optimistic kinda guy…sometimes, when I’m feeling happy - otherwise I’m a bit pessimistic! Haha! :) but as I said, more than happy to be proven wrong :)

Last edited:
I think your predictive savings are a little optimistic, but not by much with todays prices. In 2020, I logged all my usage, solar production and battery storage (8 kWh with 3kWh inverter). My electricity would have cost £959 for the year. With solar alone it would have cost £579, but with the battery as well, my bill for 2020 was £390.

There's no way I'd get that return on a savings account. :)
Just looking back on this - are you on a time of day tariff? Or standard flat rate?

Ah ok! What was the difference between night and day rate? And rough usage. Just so I can compare :) and see if my maths is correct :)
This was the rate in 2020. Daytime = 20.5p. Nighttime = 7.61p.

Yearly solar generation (kWh) = 4421.5
Yearly grid import day (kWh) = 350.95
Yearly grid import night (kWh) = 5892.68
Yearly battery discharge (kWh) = 2072.3

As you can see, charging the battery overnight in the winter meant that we only used 350.95 kWh of expensive daytime electricity.

Hope this helps.

Alan. :)

I think you might be looking for something slightly more complex than a basic battery system. I believe if you want to run a system off grid then you need to apply to the local DNO for an agreement and put in an earth rod (something to do with ensuring that your system doesn't create a risk to people working on the grid in the event of a power cut) which may involve increased costs and therefore may not be financially viable.

I've seen a fag packet quote of 2 grand for a 3kw battery which you can charge on the overnight rate. Pylon batteries are modular so you can daisy chain a few together to meet your capacity requirement and I guess you'd need a battery management system of some sort... It would still take a while to pay for itself however there are environmental benefits too...

It would be connected to the grid but able to run offline, the Tesla Powerwall has it as standard from what I've looked at but at £10k it's not the most affordable.

So - I’m using slightly skewed data, as Im going to get batteries and my EV at the same time, and I’m lumping in all my savings together - so the figures may not be replicated elsewhere for others.

Basically - at the moment, we’re paying £475 a month for our ICE vehicle (all finance, car tax, Mot, insurance fuel etc etc) when we switch to MG, we will be paying about £375 for the equivalent- basically the car costs more, but the fuel costs a lot less!

So - already we have a ‘saving’ of £1200 a year.

The battery storage using octopus go to charge up overnight, will take our average cost per KWH down to about 8-9p as opposed to the roughly 22p we pay now. I’ve done some back of fag paper calculations using octopus compare - but roughly average savings (at todays prices and our usage - approx 3000kwh - not including car charging) will be between 450-550 in the first year. If the day rate goes up over the course of the next year (which it already has) the savings made will be greater.

So - that’s about £1700 ‘saved’ in the first year, if you apply the logic that day rate will increase year on year - it might be a larger saving if £1800 in year 2 & maybe £1900 in year 3.

Currently looking at a Givenergy system 8.2kwh, 3.0 kw inverter and total cost inclusive of fitting should be circa £5000 - that’s purchasing batteries myself and getting my standard sparky to fit the batteries (he is a qualified Givenergy installer - or will be very soon!). So…roughly payback time of 2.5 years as we stand now.

BUT. If you look at it from another point of view - ie. If you were to invest £5000 in a bank account what would your return be in 3 or even 4 years? Even at 3% you’d be looking at about £400 in 3 years and £600 in 4. With a battery system, I’ll be looking at saving maybe £850 in year 3, or say £2750 in year 4, so theoretically a better ROI.

Obviously I’m not a financial advisor and this is just my calculations based on my findings - I’m not saying I’m 100% right, but I’m pretty sure I’m not wrong - If I am, I’m more than happy to be proven wrong so I don’t make a mistake :) but I’m pretty confident in my figures. Obviously my figures are taking into account savings based on a car and battery system simultaneously- obviously with just a battery system, the payback period would be longer - but again, is it better than money earning interest in the bank (if you look at it in terms of a Laing term investment?).

Obviously you also need to be on a cheap night time tariff for this to work with my figures, such as octopus go/intelligent or EDF go electric. Theoretically they could take this type of tariff away, but I can’t see that happening as electric is cheap at night - I think worst case scenario Is that it just gets more expensive at night, but still cheaper than the standard day tariff.
Anyone who has stuck with this post and is still reading and If you’re not on a time of day tariff such as octopus go, and you’re thinking of switching, you can always use my referral code below (or you could use anyone else’s instead) and that’ll give you (& me) £50 credit to your bill. It’ll also help people who are on a variable with another supplier during this cost of living crisis as everyone is charging the same amount if you’re on a variable and this will save you £50 on your bill. You can switch to octopus and ask to be put on the variable. At the moment you can only switch on the phone, and my referral code is gray-fern-7875 - obviously what you can do in the future when you are a customer, is refer your family and friends, save them £50 off their bill and you save £50 for each too - so you could basically get a year free energy.

But in the future I’m sure you’ll be able to switch by clicking this link:

Obviously I’m not a financial advisor, so don’t take my advice as gospel, but it’s the way that I’m going to proceed and hopefully I’m right!! :)
Brilliant :) That's really helpful, gives me something to compare my workings to as well.

Thank you!!

It would be connected to the grid but able to run offline, the Tesla Powerwall has it as standard from what I've looked at but at £10k it's not the most affordable.
Givenergy System can do this as well…that was something I was looking into which was of interest - however the tesla power wall can open up some interesting tariffs from octopus - ie the tesla power wall tariff - which is a flat rate 11p tariff. At peak times it can take energy out of your power wall and they pay you 11p per kWh for (if there’s an increased demand). If you generate power seems a pretty good option!

Brilliant :) That's really helpful, gives me something to compare my workings to as well.

Thank you!!
Glad to hear it may be helpful! Let me know what you find! As I said, they are my workings out and way of looking at it, but I’m pretty confident it’s correct. But happy to be proved wrong if I’m not :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom