baader

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
You want to hear a funny thing? Or rather, to cry...

I bought a used MG4 Luxury. It still had the protective film on the screen from the factory. I bought a tempered glass screen protector, thinking it would protect my chapel from the driver. I use a micro wipe to wipe the dust off the display and its edges, peel off the protective film and stick the tempered glass on the display. When aligning the tempered glass I notice that the horn is broken off, see photo. It took me a few minutes to recover... To this day I don't understand how the plastic could have broken off.

I suppose I'm the only one it happened to.

Attachments

• _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707912302928.jpg
    _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707912302928.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 273
Its a used car.
Someone has used and abused it.
Thats the sort of tiny thing you would really struggle to spot when appraising it before purchase.

Trouble is, that now you have seen it, I bet you keep looking at it! ☹️

Yes, you're not touching that screen. But dusting can scratch the screen over a period of time.

However, the broken horn would have fallen off without the application of tempered glass.

I don't know if the first owner somehow broke it off and glued it back on. But I have pictures of the discoloration and it doesn't look like it's stuck. I really don't understand and I don't understand how it could break off.

I've never applied screen protection.
More trouble than it's worth IMO.

Autoglym Fast Glass (safe on plastics and perspex) is all you need.

Technique is everything.

If you are now sucking eggs?
Look away now.

One microfibre cloth which you only use for your touchscreens and nothing else.

One or two quick squirts on the screen or on the cloth, as you wish.

Immediately wipe from right to left (or left to right!)

Once.

And I mean once!

Fold cloth in half and repeat.

The idea is that the piece of cloth you have just used, is folded into the middle and not used again.
(See, egg sucking for some)

Then in half once more for one last pass.

DO NOT use a circular motion.

Wash that cloth.

Never use a cloth on your screen that you have used elsewhere.

That's a sure fire way to bring grit into the equation.

These are cheap as chips and last for years.

MR.SIGA Microfibre Cleaning Cloth, Pack of 24, Size:12.6" x 12.6" https://amzn.eu/d/72MHYzL

Screenshot_20240214_191858_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I fitted a matt screen protector on my infotainment screen, mainly because a) the matt finish improves visibility in bright lighting, and b) it doesn't show fingerprints to any real extent. :)

I understand you all.
The point of this post was that the corner of the frame broke off and I have no idea how that could happen...

I understand you all.
The point of this post was that the corner of the frame broke off and I have no idea how that could happen...
They could have reached forward to wipe the windscreen and their sleeve caught the corner?

If you've got the missing bit it should glue back on.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the broken piece anywhere. This hasn't even happened to me on a 15-year-old car. I'm even more shocked that this would happen to a car that's 1 year old. I don't know if it was a surprise from the first owner who somehow managed to break it off and glued it back on. But looking at the before photos I took, I don't see any joint there...

The other thing that bothers me is how much the tail lights fog up. I've never seen that before either. Another problem with the dash inflation - bubbles. On top of that, still having problems with the vehicle heating. Sometimes the heater just won't start and only blows icy air. This prevents normal use of the vehicle when we have weather around 0°C here. In general, I am quite disappointed with the quality. I have an appointment for service on 28.2.2024. I guess the attitude of the service department is: nobody knows this car and we don't know what to do about it...

Honestly, I need a car to use and not to constantly drive it to the workshop to solve problems and then be without a vehicle...

Attachments

• _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260180.jpg
    _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260180.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 132
  • _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260264.jpg
    _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260264.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 99
  • _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260422.jpg
    _storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_security_files_1707981260422.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 101
  • stažený soubor (1) (1).jpeg
    stažený soubor (1) (1).jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 138
The bubbling definitely requires a new dash
The condensation requires you to either park the car somewhere for it to properly dry off or you could remove the tail lights and put them indoors for a bit with some dehumidifying product.

I suspect the corner was broken already when you got it and glued back on or maybe you didn't notice it before you came to clean the screen.
Either way I would try the dealers and say you just noticed it when you came to clean it.

As others say above, the dash needs replacing, clearly it is missing adhesive.

Fogging tail lights are common on many cars and worse with the MG4 due to the massive size of the rear lights (large volume in which for condensation to occur). There is no practical fix for this.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back