• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Inflating tyres and wheel trims

pgh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Today I decided to try and manually check the tyre pressures. The TPMS has been reporting one tyre with a pressure consistently higher than the others. Simple, I thought. I have a pump with a digital pressure gauge so I'll hook it up to the one tyre and adjust the pressure.

However I found it impossible to screw the pump adaptor onto the tyre as the gap in the wheel trim was too small to get my fingers in to tighten it properly. I gave up trying to pull it off as it wouldn't budge. Fortunately this was at home with no urgency but what if I was on the road and needed to inflate a tyre?

Does anyone have any tips to do what should be a simple job?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't recommend metal extensions. The different metals of the extension and the valve stem will react and corrode eventually they'll be impossible to remore.

I use one of these on my inflator and don't have a problem.

when i use my halo bolt air i use one of these extension's works a treat it just clips on..

It seems a bit of a design fault that such a basic function should be so difficult. I'm just glad I found out now.

It seems a bit of a design fault that such a basic function should be so difficult. I'm just glad I found out now.
It isn't difficult.

Take the trims off when you check the tyres (or leave them off to keep the pristine for resale).
It's probably good practice to take them off now and again anyway to clean the wheels. :)
I do like the extenders @moosetication suggests though. (y)

Take the trims off when you check the tyres (or leave them off to keep the pristine for resale).
It's probably good practice to take them off now and again anyway to clean the wheels. :)
I do like the extenders @moosetication suggests though. (y)
Removing the aero trims is a great idea, but you have to be very careful in the process that you use to remove them.
There has been a few incidents where owners have pulled hard in one position and the trim has split.
Somebody had said that a single replacement new trim is £50 ( if you can get one ).
The tyre valve is a little too short and the side of the valve fouls hard on one side of the wheel trim.
I have two battery booster / inflation pump combinations ( one in each car ) and they both came with the "clip on" tyre inflation nozzles.
Even getting in a good quality tyre pressure gauge, leaves you a bit tight on space. let's say.

I don't recommend metal extensions. The different metals of the extension and the valve stem will react and corrode eventually they'll be impossible to remore.

I use one of these on my inflator and don't have a problem.

Agreed about the metal to metal problem. I found out when I fitted metal valve caps.

I’ve bought a couple of extenders from Ali express and will only put them on the valves when I need them, so I don’t have to worry about corrosion if I leave them on permanently.

Whilst on the subject of pumping up tyres my MG ZS EV also reported that one of the rear needed topping up so went to local garage and sorted.
My question is guys, how do you now reset the TPMS please as had conflicting suggestions on good ole Google?
Thanks

It self resets after a drive
Hi thats what i read but after 3 trips one being over 100 miles its still showing fault even tho all pressures are the same its just shows one rear tyre incorrect?
Any other suggestions before i pop into my local MG garage please?

Today I decided to try and manually check the tyre pressures. The TPMS has been reporting one tyre with a pressure consistently higher than the others. Simple, I thought. I have a pump with a digital pressure gauge so I'll hook it up to the one tyre and adjust the pressure.

However I found it impossible to screw the pump adaptor onto the tyre as the gap in the wheel trim was too small to get my fingers in to tighten it properly. I gave up trying to pull it off as it wouldn't budge. Fortunately this was at home with no urgency but what if I was on the road and needed to inflate a tyre?

Does anyone have any tips to do what should be a simple job?
Had the same problem. I partially removed the wheel trim to get access. I think you can just pull them but they are tight so I used a screwdriver as a lever.

Hi thats what i read but after 3 trips one being over 100 miles its still showing fault even tho all pressures are the same its just shows one rear tyre incorrect?
Any other suggestions before i pop into my local MG garage please?
It has to be at 2.8 to reset it says 10 minutes over 20mph

I had this problem as well, the wheel trims are very tight to get off but they are very playable and will come off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom