Inflating tyres and wheel trims

The reported tyre 🛞 pressures do fluctuate around a bit ( as I have said before ) on a day to day basis.
Temperature changes are particularly responsible I think
I spent a while checking and double checking mine, only a few weeks ago.
Used three different tyre pressure gauges to ensure they are all set at the correct pressures of 2.8 bar.
I have just checked the readings reported on the App and I will include a photo.
As you can see, they do differ a little, from the 2.8 bar I set them at.
Pretty cold here this morning 🥶.
I thin film of ice on the car, so the preheating function of the cabin from the App is brilliant before the school run !.

1D579CC0-F62C-40FC-AECF-59F7AC0B1DED.jpeg

Year mine was thick with ice this morning I ran the heating 2 times was quite cool checking the CCTV and seeing the roof go clear as for tyres they dropped down to 2.7 expected with the cold temperatures after a bit of driving back to 2.8 it's normal

The reported tyre 🛞 pressures do fluctuate around a bit ( as I have said before ) on a day to day basis.
Temperature changes are particularly responsible I think
I spent a while checking and double checking mine, only a few weeks ago.
Used three different tyre pressure gauges to ensure they are all set at the correct pressures of 2.8 bar.
I have just checked the readings reported on the App and I will include a photo.
As you can see, they do differ a little, from the 2.8 bar I set them at.
Pretty cold here this morning 🥶.
I thin film of ice on the car, so the preheating function of the cabin from the App is brilliant before the school run !.

View attachment 13443
Just to reinforce my point, the car has not moved an inch after my last point today and here is what the TPMS is now reporting from the App !.
We are now displaying the 2.8 bar setting on ALL four tyres, that I know the pressures were set correctly by myself, less ok than two weeks ago.

B3F1A37F-9111-4053-B308-082AE7B0D992.jpeg

I've replaced my stock dust caps with longer ones with deeper grooves, bought from eBay. New one on the left, compared with the supplied one on the right. They protrude further from the slot in the trim and are easier to get hold of, particularly with cold fingers.

20221213_125703-01.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumped my tyres up.last week and it was a nightmare!!
Lost 2 tyre caps as it could hardly get my fingers in the gaps.
Getting the inflator on and off was terrible, almost ended up with a flat tyre as the inflator got jammed on one of the tyres. It took several minutes per tyre to get each cap off and the tyre inflated.
Ended up buying 50 caps and I'm dreading having to do it again.
Terrible design for a wheel trim

Pumped my tyres up.last week and it was a nightmare!!
Lost 2 tyre caps as it could hardly get my fingers in the gaps.
Getting the inflator on and off was terrible, almost ended up with a flat tyre as the inflator got jammed on one of the tyres. It took several minutes per tyre to get each cap off and the tyre inflated.
Ended up buying 50 caps and I'm dreading having to do it again.
Terrible design for a wheel trim
You can just take the trim off if it's in the way

You can just take the trim off if it's in the way
Yes, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Just double the gap size around the valve so all sizes of fingers and standard inflators can fit.
I was also doing it on a freezing night whilst pouring with rain, so having what should be a 30 second job per.tyre turned into a horrendous experience.
Figuring out how to remove the trims would have turned into a Hulk moment for those that remember the original series.

Probably best to figure stuff out when the weather's nice then you know what to expect when you need to use in anger

Just double the gap size around the valve so all sizes of fingers and standard inflators can fit.
I was also doing it on a freezing night whilst pouring with rain, so having what should be a 30 second job per.tyre turned into a horrendous experience.
Your right, it is a poor design TBH.
It could be improved a lot by removing the trims and increasing the clearance around the valve stem, for anybody who is willing to take it on !.
Once done, it will solve the access problem alright.
A quick and easy fix, is to fit the longer plastic valve caps kindly suggested by @moosetication in post 75 above.
The slight increase in the length of the plastic cap, just gives you something to get your fingers around and then makes their removal much easier.
Cheap enough fix (y).

I constantly have tyre pressure warning lights on the dash and have found it impossible to fit a pump to the valve with the plastic trims on.
I've removed trims permanently & can now access valves easily. However, no matter how many times I adjust the actual pressures, the warning lights never go off so I just live with it.

I constantly have tyre pressure warning lights on the dash and have found it impossible to fit a pump to the valve with the plastic trims on.
I've removed trims permanently & can now access valves easily. However, no matter how many times I adjust the actual pressures, the warning lights never go off so I just live with it.
Just checking you pump up to 2.8bar(41psi)
If you are you need to check the valve core for leaks very easy to do

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom