Infotainment Screen Failure

Good luck with your replacement waiting time. I'm now on the fourteenth week. MG4 Trophy was taken into dealers for the locked door recall issue. Good news is that they fixed this but the bad news is that in doing so they blew the central console. Two weeks ago the parts eventually arrived but as they were damaged in transit they had to be reordered. Was told by the dealer that as MG consider the car roadworthy no replacement vehicle can be offered. Happy days.

Good luck with your replacement waiting time. I'm now on the fourteenth week. MG4 Trophy was taken into dealers for the locked door recall issue. Good news is that they fixed this but the bad news is that in doing so they blew the central console. Two weeks ago the parts eventually arrived but as they were damaged in transit they had to be reordered. Was told by the dealer that as MG consider the car roadworthy no replacement vehicle can be offered. Happy days.
The call should not be if it's roadworthy, rather is it of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose. The car should meet up with the expectations under which it was sold. Dealer has one chance to fix it.

The Infotainment screen is an integral part of the function/operation of the car ... if that fails then the car does not conform to contract.
I agree, you cannot engage fog lights without the infotainment screen - that is a safety issue and MOT failure.

Edit: Oops, @Eber got there first, sorry missed the above message.

Well, it looks like (he said, desperately looking around for a piece of wood) my infotainment screen may be fixed, without having to have a replacement fitted.

As I mentioned before, when I contacted the dealer about it they first had to contact MG for permission to examine the problem :)rolleyes:), then they videoed the problem of the screen flicking back and forth between the home and settings screens.

Whilst waiting for MG's response, during a trip to South Wales, the infotainment screen stopped flicking and displayed the home screen properly. Great, I thought, it's fixed itself. But...no. Unfortunately, the settings screen was now totally inaccessible and neither the radio or Android Auto would work at all.

Then, a few days ago I got the call from the dealer to bring the car in to have the infotainment system reset. I told them I had already reset it etc etc countless times to no avail, but the dealer said that they had been given another reset procedure that had to be followed in a certain sequence.

It sounded a bit odd to me, but hey ho, I took it in anyway. Just 10 minutes later (and no error messages via the app, strangely), the dealer handed the car back to me with a working infotainment system - yaay, I wonder how long that will last I thought.

Well, it's been several days now, and apart from having to re-log onto the car again via the QR code and to redo all my preferences and settings again, all seems well. Well that is apart from the inability to connect using bluetooth and the frequent drop out of the DAB radio, i.e. situation normal for an MG4!

In celebration, I washed the car today...and found my first stone chip. Bitter-sweet eh?šŸ˜¢

Glad you have it fixed finally. I found my first stone chip too the other day, so deflating to find. However I have ordered some touch-up paint from 'PaintNuts' and hopefully I can just carefully dab it into invisibility. šŸ¤ž

Glad you have it fixed finally. I found my first stone chip too the other day, so deflating to find. However I have ordered some touch-up paint from 'PaintNuts' and hopefully I can just carefully dab it into invisibility. šŸ¤ž
Oooops, forgot to actually ask the question :rolleyes:!
Can 'PaintNuts' match the Volcano Orange?

Last edited:
Oooops, forgot to actually ask the question :rolleyes:!
Can 'PaintNuts' match the Volcano Orange?
I believe they can. When I ordered mine they phoned me to verify as it's a new colour for them. I gave the paint colour code in the order (inside drivers door on the frame) and they asked "Is it Dynamic Red?" when they called, i said "yes" and they said "no problem, we'll mix that up for you". Its now winging its way through the post to me.

M.G don't seem to subscribe to the idea that adequate customer service is important. They may be able to get away with this assuming that other manufacturers such as BYG take the same approach.

For info, just received my paint and the colour match looks good.

MGPaint.jpg

Reading this thread - it is apparent that I'm not the only one seeing these issues on the Infotainment screen!
I have had my MG4 Trophy now for 7 weeks since new (in June 23).
For all of that time I have seen no issues whatsoever with this screen.
However on a relatively short journey (35 miles) last Thursday we were nearly at our destination listening to the DAB radio when it went silent.
At first we thought it must be just a bad signal zone, however it did not return and further we could not get any other station and the display did not respond to selecting Pause or Play.
On reaching our destination I tried leaving the car and locking it, then returning.
Then I was alarmed to see exactly the issue described by others in this post i.e. a slightly smaller display with the screen continually shifting between the Home screen and the Car screen and back again, continually cycling every second or so.
At that point I gave up and locked the car.
After an hour or so I returned and the problem seemed to have gone away with the screen performing as it should.
On the way home we were nearly home when the screen suddenly went completely black.
I left it a while to see if it would return but it stayed blank.
I then pressed the Home button on the dash and the screen then returned.
All this has shaken my confidence on this car - so I have now booked the car into the main dealer for investigation - but not for over a week as we will be going on holiday next week (thankfully not in the MG!).
Either this is a hardware issue (the screen driver?) or it could potentially be a software issue, who knows!

Either this is a hardware issue (the screen driver?) or it could potentially be a software issue, who knows!
If it was a hardware issue it would go black and stay that way but as it corrects itself on re-boot it points to it being a software issue.

Reading this thread - it is apparent that I'm not the only one seeing these issues on the Infotainment screen!
I have had my MG4 Trophy now for 7 weeks since new (in June 23).
For all of that time I have seen no issues whatsoever with this screen.
However on a relatively short journey (35 miles) last Thursday we were nearly at our destination listening to the DAB radio when it went silent.
At first we thought it must be just a bad signal zone, however it did not return and further we could not get any other station and the display did not respond to selecting Pause or Play.
On reaching our destination I tried leaving the car and locking it, then returning.
Then I was alarmed to see exactly the issue described by others in this post i.e. a slightly smaller display with the screen continually shifting between the Home screen and the Car screen and back again, continually cycling every second or so.
At that point I gave up and locked the car.
After an hour or so I returned and the problem seemed to have gone away with the screen performing as it should.
On the way home we were nearly home when the screen suddenly went completely black.
I left it a while to see if it would return but it stayed blank.
I then pressed the Home button on the dash and the screen then returned.
All this has shaken my confidence on this car - so I have now booked the car into the main dealer for investigation - but not for over a week as we will be going on holiday next week (thankfully not in the MG!).
This is a well documented software glitch, no point the dealer looking at it as they will say there's nothing wrong with it. Depending on the software version there may be an update available but as yours is a recent registration I expect that you are up to date. It's annoying but nothing to stop you being able to use the car, mine has gone through the screen cycling glitch about 3 times in the last 8 months, you can usually reset it by selecting the radio function. The DAB is a weak point, dropping the signal happens more often but will usually reset next time you get in the car. If it doesn't load on start up select an FM radio station and once that is received switch back to DAB.

It seems to be a Trophy thing, as the SE's infotainment screen doesn't do this, and doesn't keep losing its Bluetooth pairing either. The SE seems to have its catalogue of bugs (about three annoying things that are right on the Trophy, or four if you have R16/21), but it's quite stable apart from that.

Perhaps I will be pushing my luck but I have not suffered the cycling infotainment issues in the 4 months I have had my Trophy. Perhaps it is because I do not connect a mobile to the car except to use the hotspot. (Note I have tested usb audio and video, android auto, iSmart unlocking and starting; all without problems.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back