Insurance Question

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
A question for those who have been lucky enough to have been promised a car from this month's initial delivery - what, if anything, have you been able to do about arranging insurance? I'm led to believe that the insurance companies are holding fire until the result of the NCAP safety tests, any day now, before allocating an insurance rating.
Has anyone been given any hints?
I'm trying to calculate two financial unknowns, PCP or leasing costs, and insurance to see if I can actually afford my commitments!!

Insurance companies usually only update their data base services with new vehicles and policy prices, once a month.
When I was looking to insure our ( then new ) ZS EV in 2019 for collection in the first week of 2020 my then current insurance company had nothing showing on the system for that type of model.
And therefore could not offer a price or a policy.
I had to ring around until I found somebody who DID have it showing on their system.
Which was LV insurance, who do like to be ahead of the game, when it comes to insuring EV’s.
Then had to cancel my old policy with my previous insurance company and then move across to L.V.
I would try an EV friendly company if I was you.

We had a hell of a job getting it sorted, trying to do it on 30th and 31st when the car is registered on 1st Sept.... Also the insurance company looking under MG, NOT MG Motor UK. lastly calling it an estate rather than a 5 door SUV. The Meerkats seem to have it right and GoCompare

A question for those who have been lucky enough to have been promised a car from this month's initial delivery - what, if anything, have you been able to do about arranging insurance? I'm led to believe that the insurance companies are holding fire until the result of the NCAP safety tests, any day now, before allocating an insurance rating.
Has anyone been given any hints?
I'm trying to calculate two financial unknowns, PCP or leasing costs, and insurance to see if I can actually afford my commitments!!
Miles posted Chorley Group's PCP numbers in another thread

I'll worry about insurance once I get a number plate!

It'll be interesting to see if the added safety kit of the Trophy effects the insurance group?

It'll be interesting to see if the added safety kit of the Trophy effects the insurance group?

Up or down? 😜

The two SRs are interesting as well given the different power ratings.
The SR LR lacks BSD, LCA, RCTA, and DOW compared to the Trophy.

Not sure if it is just my dealership, or if it is MG Motor UK, but in any event, the 7 days free insurance has now ceased (for me at least).

It is a good question by OP, and as I am coming off a company lease deal (under the firm insurance), together with Having a separate insurance on my Z3, i really am at a loss on what to do when I pick the car up at the end of the month.

May try my current Z3 insurance broker, and see what they say.

Euro NCAP have released the quarterly results but no MG4. Ora cat gets 5 stars.

Without an NCAP rating, then I won't be pressing go on my order.
I think MG has missed the September results window, so not sure when this info will be released.

It may be relevant from an insurance perspective as well, as Insurance companies won't have key details upon which to base the premium. Meaning we may find MG4 insurance rates are higher initially until the industry sorts itself out.

I thought NCAP did results once a quarter but bundled them into their annual lists.
I've asked my dealer, so will wait to hear what they say on this matter.

Last edited:
1662553949096.png

...After entering the reg of one of the demonstrator vehicles on compare the market.

MG can provide 5-day driveaway insurance. I've just used it when collecting my new ZS. They will also quote for a full year but I found the quote to be expensive.

Telephone Number to arrange cover is: 0800 980 1694

Last edited:
Whilst I accept that NCAP is an independent company and it's an "opt-in" for them to test cars, it is a baseline upon which to compare vehicles. Especially in areas around driver and occupancy/family safety.

The MG5 has never been submitted for NCAP. The MG4 has apparently not been submitted for an NCAP review.

So for me, my MG4 journey is over. I've cancelled my deposit and released my place in the queue with my dealer.

Some may say that's an overreaction. But for me, it's a line I won't cross. It's the baseline for assurance the platform and car do what the industry and customers expect of it.

Last edited:
A test car from another video, when checked on Compare The Market, says:

2022 MG ZR TROPHY R

LA22WNO

1796cc Petrol, 5DR Hatchback, Automatic

And the moustachioed singer says:

LA22 WNO
MG ZR TROPHY R
2001-2004, 1796cc, 5 door hatchback, Automatic, Petrol

😲🤷‍♂️

Whilst I accept that NCAP is an independent company and it's an "opt-in" for them to test cars, it is a baseline upon which to compare vehicles. Especially in areas around driver and occupancy/family safety.

The MG5 has never been submitted for NCAP. The MG4 has apparently not been submitted for an NCAP review.

So for me, my MG4 journey is over. I've cancelled my deposit and released my place in the queue with my dealer.

Some may say that's an overreaction. But for me, it's a line I won't cross. It's the baseline for assurance the platform and car do what the industry and customers expect of it.
I think it's a bit extreme. Euro NCAP don't just require a single car for testing, they reserve up to 9 vehicles when testing a single model.

To jump the gun and say that it hasn't been submitted "apparently" is an overreaction - when it could just be that the stock is required to submit enough vehicles for all of the tests.

The vehicles that have been shipped here have all been reserved as customer vehicles, I think it's more likely that the vehicles just haven't reached them for testing yet, due to the testing regime and the stock required. It's also worth noting that whilst the UK has received 1000 vehicles already, the cars tested at Euro NCAP are near enough always LHD.

All I can say is my dealer stated the MG4 has not been submitted. But perhaps he meant not yet.
And for me, no NCAP means no purchase.

If they do get NCAP, and I'm still in the market for a car by then, of course I'll be happy to test drive the MG4 and place an order. Knowing it might by then have a long-ish delay between order and delivery.

But I wanted to support other customers in the queue now, so those that want an MG4 can all move up 1 space in the queue.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel