Insurance Question

The MG4 (like the Ora Cat) has been designed to get a 5 star NCAP rating. That's been mentioned in the Chinese press releases.
Manufacturers know the NCAP requirements pretty well and are able to engineer the vehicles to meet them.
MG will most certainly get the MG4 NCAP certified sometime in the future as they feel confident with their product and it will be a great advertising win. I predict 5 stars.

I think there is a bit of confusion as to how Euro NCAP works....

There are three ways in which cars are selected:

1) A manufacturer provides vehicles, at their cost, to Euro NCAP for testing - this is how ORA Funky Pussy was tested

2) An affiliate, such as Thatcham Research pays to have a model tested - often this will happen when there are concerns over the RHD conversion

3) Euro NCAP buys the cars themselves - this tends to happen when manufacturers fail to submit a car that sells in high numbers!

Covid caused a massive backlog of cars to be tested - I think 4 cars were tested in 2020! The MG5 would have been caught up in this backlog and would not fall under number 3 as it doesn't sell in massive numbers. Needless to say, crash testing cars is a massive undertaking!

The MG4 will be tested by the virtue that it will appear in the top 10 selling lists around Europe.

The next set of results are the 10th October, if MG haven't submitted cars then it won't appear in that set of results.

Lack of an NCAP rating is annoying and could well affect insurance availability and cost.
I’ll be moving from a 10 year old car with no driver safety aids so the MG4 will be safer for me for day to day use. But it would be good to know how safe it is in a serious collision.

Not all cars get tested prior to their on sale date, it seems a bit strange to expect that to happen!

The testing of the Tesla Model Y took place during June/July - the car has been available to the public since March/April....

This Chinese video review from 17 June says the Mulan has Euro NCAP 5 star rating. Interesting if true.

I suspect this means “designed to” Euro NCAP 5. They will likely know that it meets the standard from their own testing but that doesn’t mean it has been awarded it.

You people moaning about lack of NCAP test, and then cancelling your order. You are being totally unreasonable expecting a car to be tested before first cars are delivered to customers.
For example, if you look at the latest round of tests, how many of those were for cars that are not even with the first customer deliveries around the world?
How many were for cars that have been available for a considerable amount of time?
The Ora Cat for example was launched in 2018 in China, and was originally supposed to arrive in the UK in December last year.
The Tesla model Y was first delivered to customers in the USA in March 2020.
The Kia’s tested in this round are all with customers, as are the BMWs and Toyota Aygo X.

Great that you cancel, you give others that chance to receive an MG4, but don’t act like it’s unusual for a launch. Just take a step back, admire the first batches of cars that get delivered, and then get in the queue if you still want one.
It is like the people who bleat about bugs in the app or operating system. In my mind, us pioneers have a duty to test and report back faults so that the people who come after have a better experience. If you don’t want to do that, I suggest you shouldn’t be having a launch car. Take a step back and wait for us to contribute to the optimisation of the customer experience.

Not sure if it is just my dealership, or if it is MG Motor UK, but in any event, the 7 days free insurance has now ceased (for me at least).

It is a good question by OP, and as I am coming off a company lease deal (under the firm insurance), together with Having a separate insurance on my Z3, i really am at a loss on what to do when I pick the car up at the end of the month.

May try my current Z3 insurance broker, and see what they say.
Just check the difference between normal (ICE) and EV insuranc.

Am anxious to get an indication of how much insurance will cost so I used the number plate of one of the press launch vehicles on an insurance website. It said it was unable to quote.
For those who do not yet know, the Trophy is in Group 29 for insurance.

Am anxious to get an indication of how much insurance will cost so I used the number plate of one of the press launch vehicles on an insurance website. It said it was unable to quote.
For those who do not yet know, the Trophy is in Group 29 for insurance.
Is that good or bad ?

Bar my weekend toy car, not paid for insurance in over 11 years

the Trophy is in Group 29 for insurance

Is that good or bad ?

It's very high - the ID.3 is between 18 and 26 depending on spec.

It'll mainly be a "Chinese" thing relating to the cost and difficulty of getting parts rather than the car "being dangerous".

Bar my weekend toy car, not paid for insurance in over 11 years

Hmm, take care as you can only normally have an NCB applied to one car. If your "toy" cannot get onto "classic" insurance it may work out expensive.

It'll mainly be a "Chinese" thing relating to the cost and difficulty of getting parts rather than the car "being dangerous".

Hmm, take care as you can only normally have an NCB applied to one car. If your "toy" cannot get onto "classic" insurance it may work out expensive.
Thank you for this. I am thinking that I may need to revert my toy car to classic (had to increase it to include business miles, justa in case I was left without a car when my lease car goes back and MG let me down re: delivery of the MG4).

Quite a stressful time actually 🤣. Could do with out all this, but know it only has to be done once.

Tesla Model 3 is 50. That’s “very high”. Trophy at 29 is a little high for sure but not “very”

confused.com now gives quotes for MG4 - I was surprised how good my quotes were, fully comp from £201 annually for me and my wife both with 9 years NCD, that's a lot cheaper than for my BMW i3

EDIT - and compare the meerkat now giving quotes which it didn't last week

Last edited:
Do MG still do drive away cover? I've been holding off doing anything until I've a firm(ish) date and a reg allocated. I haven't even put my own plate on retention yet. My s.o.p is an absolute last minute rush....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back