Insurance

Davecut1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there guys and gals. I just had my insurance renewal through, and they want £560 to insure my car this is £200 more than last year, seems a bit excessive any ideas where I can get a reasonable quote. Dave.

The usual comparison sites got me the best deals. They were pretty consistent in that the top 5 (cheapest) companies kept appearing in all. ComparetheMarket, Moneysupermarket, Confused.

Another extra cost for us all to bear. Disappointed but not surprised that I couldn’t get a quote below £500 for my new extended version - and the sub £550 figure from LV was, they said, only because I am an existing customer.

My Hastings direct will not renew me anymore how.about that .but when I go on go.compare Hastings are giving me price to insure my car is this a joke? So shall we all get big suvs and damage the planet?

This is down to poor governance (in this case FCA), in that as they have outlawed cross-subsidies, different prices to new customers, compared to existing ones, so all that the insurances companies have done is FEC (full economic costing), and zero competition. The same happened 3-4 years ago with overdraft fees at banks, in that those idiots who couldn't manage their money (same ones who got PPI, and drive through floods etc.) complained that they were being charged excessive fees, and the FCA banned the banks doing this, but resulted in all of us being charged at 40%. Same with PPI payouts & gas / electricity / water / rail / bus fares & supercharger prices etc......

Car insurance has been hit on all sides this year :-
  • inflation on parts
  • longer delivery times of parts
  • resulting in longer courtesy car hire times
  • Clogged up repair units waiting
  • more uninsured drivers
  • recovery since COVID resulting in low margins
  • salary inflation of repair staff
  • high energy costs of repair units
  • the change in rules to equalise new/loyal customers means new customer quotes have gone up.
  • etc etc.

Last edited:
Car insurance has been hit on all sides this year :-
  • inflation on parts
  • longer delivery times of parts
  • resulting in longer courtesy car hire times
  • Clogged up repair units waiting
  • more uninsured drivers
  • recovery since COVID resulting in low margins
  • salary inflation of repair staff
  • high energy costs of repair units
  • the change in rules to equalise new/loyal customers means new customer quotes have gone up.
  • etc etc.
Not helped by the loss/damage of 1400 cars in the Luton airport car park fire. 1400 x say average claim for each car of £10k = £14million. Could be a lot more if course. Not sure if owners will claim against their car insurance or the airport’s insurance.

Not helped by the loss/damage of 1400 cars in the Luton airport car park fire. 1400 x say average claim for each car of £10k = £14million. Could be a lot more if course. Not sure if owners will claim against their car insurance or the airport’s insurance.
Doubt they can claim against the Airports insurance, the will no doubt be a disclaimer in their parking terms that "you park at your own risk" most car parks are like this.

Yeah, the airport were'nt responsible and you would have to prove negligence on their part to win any claim. The cause seems to be a Range Rover catching fire. If that can be proved, its possible thier insurer may have to cough up ! But initially everone will claim from their own insurance.

What a ball ache, coming back off your hols and finding your car burnt to a crisp.
Not that I fly anywhere anymore, but that's just me.

With reference to the Luton Airport fire although the Range Rover seemed to be the initial cause of the fire the car park did not have a fire protection system fitted so the Insurance company of the Range Rover Driver could argue the case that the area wasnt suitably covered for fire risk.

Maybe not the right thread for this direction of discussion, but ... I believe the car park complied with relevant fire codes at the time of build, so any such avenue of apportioning blame is likely doomed to fail.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back