Interesting test drive video to watch

You can't win them all. I took my test drive and my eyes lit up. I like the things she doesn't like. But if they can afford a Born then they have more options than a lot of people.

I don't understand the problem with the satnav though. I didn't have it for months because my old phone didn't support AA. When I finally got a phone that did the whole thing immediately worked seamlessly without me doing anything more than plugging the phone in, to the point where I was driving around going "I had no idea it could do all this!" Also, all had to do to set a destination was open it in Google maps on my PC and as soon as I plugged the phone in, it offered me that on the car screen. No phone signal required at that point.

Yes I heard her say a few things that were so fixable if someone knowledgable had told her there. As you say if they afford a Born and they did say they only have elec vehicles. You can’t win ‘em all but I’m won over.

She came over as a bit of a curmudgeon. I don't think that video would put anyone off looking at the car because it was all just personal preference. Same with another one I saw with a lurid title about rejecting the car, and it turned out that the wife simply found the seats uncomfortable.

By the look on her face within the 1st 2 mins, she should have just turned around immediately and said no thank you.
If you are so used to a eurobox that looks like an ICE that's just been converted to EV, then a ground up minimalist interior car no matter whether it's an ICE or EV would not do. She wanted all the buttons and a plastic tuner between driver and passenger. Hope she finds a car she likes.

She came over as a bit of a curmudgeon. I don't think that video would put anyone off looking at the car because it was all just personal preference. Same with another one I saw with a lurid title about rejecting the car, and it turned out that the wife simply found the seats uncomfortable.
Agree 👌
Plus one of her gripes was the seats were uncomfortable.
Anyway I posted it for a bit of light humour immediately after she complained about the indicators being too loud , tickled me lol.
Not putting me off because it’s obviously a personal pref. and I’ve never had satnav only ApplePlay so …

My son had a Tesla loan car while his ID3 was being sorted ( Delivery driver caught his car), he didnt like it mainly because on his 95 mile. trips to visit us he got out with back ache, just could not get the seats & steering column sorted despite the micro adjustments he could make, along with the short seat bottom, no support just behind knees.

Yes I heard her say a few things that were so fixable if someone knowledgable had told her there. As you say if they afford a Born and they did say they only have elec vehicles. You can’t win ‘em all but I’m won over.

They were out on their own on the test drive, which is something I've never experienced. One advantage of having the dealer with you is that they can explain if there's a gripe that's easily fixed, like the indicator noise. (At least they can if they're knowledgeable.)

The HVAC controls thing didn't come up with them, but imagine the positive effect of showing someone moaning about that how the right star button works. It immediately suggests that the car is cleverer than you thought and that any niggles will turn out to be fixable once you know how (even if that isn't entirely true!)

I’m tbh I thought he was the dealer at first when he said with a straight face ok so you don’t like the sound the indicators make . I’ve also just watched something by are you aware that pulling down the middle of the menu ,(not left or right) brings down just the AC controls? You’re prob all aware but Justin case.

I really like the minimalist interior and the seats are perfectly comfortable for me. Everyone is different though. No point in a 30-stone man trying to come to terms with a Fiat 500, whereas a five foot nothing woman who weighs eight stones will probably love it.

I’m tbh I thought he was the dealer at first when he said with a straight face ok so you don’t like the sound the indicators make . I’ve also just watched something by are you aware that pulling down the middle of the menu ,(not left or right) brings down just the AC controls? You’re prob all aware but Justin case.

I think a lot of people, especially when they're new to the car, prefer not to touch the central screen at all while driving. If you don't explain the steering wheel buttons to them, you're doing them and the car a disservice.

Absolutely agree . I didn’t know you were allowed out on your own just for a test drive but maybe they buy regular from them idk but it was definitely a disservice because most things iirc could’ve been explained away and made better 🤷‍♀️

I was let loose with no salesman but had looked online at the reviews and also used to driving different cars through 4 years delivering demonstrators and leases for the main Euro companies and apart from one woman who was moving from BMW to Audi no one wanted an explanation of the dials.
The MG4 version they were testing was the cheapest mark1 with old display and the settings should be set before setting off - she knew she would want less regen. The car would have cost at least £10k less than the Cupra (plus the extras). Setting the air con on any Seat or VW does not involve buttons and they are now having to row back from having 'virtual' rotating dials, The pair appear to drive a Mini which is the most ridiculous car in the world with a far worse ride than a 4. Compare the Mini with the Fiat 500 which at least tries to maintain a small car concept; the original round dial in the middle looks ridiculous with a rectangular display; the indicators sit in the same position so you cannot tell by feel if they are on; the mileage in an electric is tragic.
Demented old bat who got in the car determined not to like it = but we are all different :)

The interior doesn't have class ? This is the typical expectation that some have when they haven't bought a new car for years, minimalist is modern. They want Rolls Royce quality from a budget car.
If sat nav is that important they should buy the Trophy, although Android auto is very easy to set up and use if you have a fairly modern phone.

Probably the main thing that sold me on the MG4 was a video where they put the car up against the Born in a head to head (saying that the Born was better than the ID3 and the one to beat). On almost every point the Born just shaded the win. Then at the end they brought up the matter of price. The MG4 was £10,000 cheaper. "Why wouldn't you?" asked the presenter. "The winner is - the MG4!"

I like the MG4's looks better too.

Have a look at their Born test drive. MG4 quieter and with more space; shows her driving over the speed limit - later 'races' an Audi; likes the steering wheel; will not go over £40k for a model because of the extra tax which would be £0; they have just bought an Egolf so debating whether to hang onto it or their Mini; sometimes you have to pay for the premium - still not sure what they are getting for their extra £9k - although the smaller space in the front than the MG feels like quality. No mention of the forward/reverse control being on the right hand which is awkward, the non revolving buttons (brought back on new id3) or that the displays (small driver, large central) are actually the same set up as the MG. They end up with a Kia. No objectivity whatsoever.

Funnily enough, the loud clacky noise of the indicators was the first thing I mentioned when we had our (non-accompanied) test drive in the MG4. ROLFE - 'a gripe that's easily fixed, like the indicator noise.' How do you change that, I didn't know it was possible!

Apart from that one thing, I can't agree with them on anything. They seem like a desperately boring couple :) - wouldn't want to live next door to them.

It's somewhere in the infotainment screen menus under volume. Maybe system volume? It's not a huge difference but it's enough to stop the sound being annoying. And it's still loud enough that you probably won't forget you have the indicator on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back