Interesting/worrying story from Scotland - ZS with no brakes.

Without the power assistance the foot brake is pretty ineffective.

In the MG4 you can use the EPB as an emergency brake in this situation by holding the EPB button up - not releasing it like you would do normally. Not sure if the ZS had this as well.

There would not be much damage if the ZS and the van were doing the same speed then the van slowed after contact was made.

Without the power assistance the foot brake is pretty ineffective.
The pedal would be heavier but it would still work.

In the MG4 you can use the EPB as an emergency brake in this situation by holding the EPB button up - not releasing it like you would do normally. Not sure if the ZS had this as well.
I'm fairly sure thats standard with all electric handbrakes.

There would not be much damage if the ZS and the van were doing the same speed then the van slowed after contact was made.
Probably true BUT in the case the vehicle continued to try and go, I'm sure there would be damage if you nosed up to a wall and then kept going. The initial story made it sound like he was doing an excessive speed, later reports are saying 15mph. If it is low speed why on earth did he not simply go round a roundabout or plant it into a wall/tree/lamppost?

Maybe just me but, having been in a scare like that which impacted on my health, I would opt for a secure support system before trundling my story out to the Sun/Mailonline etc?

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity
In the age of social media and sensationalised stories in the media why would you be surprised that people would question this? It would be ridiculous and a little daft to believe everything you read on Facebook and if I posted a story like that I would be very surprised if people didn't question it.

With regards to your story I like many others would be very interested to know what happened when you applied the hydraulic brakes, were they impacted by the 'event'?

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity
The story first came to light for us here on the forum from social media, well known for its honesty and accuracy (not), and from the Sun Newspaper, a publication known for sensationalism, EV bashing and poor journalism.

Had you posted on here first, you may have got a more sympathetic reaction.

It is because the car is BLUE lol watch out Gadget Geek
On My Way Goodbye GIF by Bubble Punk

Sorry to hear that Brian.

The scepticism is only natural considering the press coverage and the nature of your digital promo background.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about why you think this may have been a fault with the car?

Sounds like an extract from TV's 'Would I Lie to you?' Truth is always 100%
?'
'How dare'.. doesn't sound like the comment that would be made by some who has been in such a RTI to me.
Why post here then ?
When something seems to be unbelievable, it is human nature to question. Do you have photos showing the cars damage?

Truth or not, can brakes can fail, no matter how the car is fuelled.

I see Brian has still only made that single, somewhat unconvincing, post. Until he comes back with better and more plausible detail, and preferably we have a mechanic's report explaining how this happened or even could happen, I'm going for "faked up for the notoriety".

Happy to be proved wrong.

I see Brian has still only made that single, somewhat unconvincing, post. Until he comes back with better and more plausible detail, and preferably we have a mechanic's report explaining how this happened or even could happen, I'm going for "faked up for the notoriety".

Happy to be proved wrong.

I think the very best interpretation is that this was one of them 'unintended acceleration' incidents that were popular with Prius drivers some time ago. Most of them turned out to be driver error.

The worst is that this is some digital PR based hit job paid for by someone with 'other' motives.

After reading the story kindly posted by @N2STY.
It appears that Brian had only had his EV for a short while, was this Brians first EV ?.
Was it possible that the adaptive cruise control / pro pilot had been engaged inadvertently ???.
This would account for the car maintaining its steady speed, but does not answer the question why it did not disengage when the foot brake was pressed ?.
Had the floor carpet rode up over pedals ?.
What did the police officer simply do, to turn off the car when they brought it to a total stop ✋??.
It’s strange one alright !.
I am sure many other owners will be eagerly awaiting both the insurance and MG’s evaluation / investigation into the cause of this incident.
Regardless if it is “man or machine” at fault here, it really is not something anybody would willingly want to be subjected to or happen again on another vehicle.
I am sure other motoring authorities like the DOT and the MAA will be monitoring the progress on this story.
It really goes without saying that this requires very urgent attention now, in order to establish the true cause of this serious incident.
I expect that both the MG CS switch board and the MG dealers switchboards, will be bombarded with calls over the next few days. Owners wanting some concrete reassurances that their cars are still safe to be used !.
Of course the anti EV lobbyists will jump right onto top of this story, but it fairness it would be the same if it was an ICE car.
I clearly remember an MG owner on this forum, that suffered from a complete brake failure when his wife was driving with their child onboard.
Luckily nobody was injured and no damage was sustained to the car.
A very new car that suddenly lost all of its brake fluid.
The cause of the problem was quickly identified as a flexible rear brake hose that had been incorrectly routed and unsecured by a simple metal clip at the bodyshell.
This caused the rim of the road wheel to come into contact with the rubber flexible brake hose and slowly it cut right through the pipe.
All of the brake fluid was lost and therefore the brakes failed 😞.
Phantom braking is not a nice thing to endure but this is the complete opposite and must have been a terrible thing to be put through.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom