Interesting/worrying story from Scotland - ZS with no brakes.

Still nothing in the media about this guys 'horrendous ordeal' with loss of brakes and car not stopping.............. Somewhat suspicious I'd say.
I was wondering about this story, a couple of days ago. Slightly disappointed that there is no new information but it does seem to confirm over-active imagination/driver error as the most likely explanation.

Dear Bryan,
I am not calling you a liar, (I'm not in a position to make that judgement) but I am really puzzled. So many questions for us MG owners... What caused the problem; why wouldn't the hydraulic brakes work; why didn't the lack of a key stop the car; once brought to a halt why didn't the motor, or the tyres, catch fire; how did two crashes leave your car unmarked; how was your partner able to catch up with you; most importantly, how do I learn to be so cool that, while terrified, I dream up humorous names for my predicament......
Please, Bryan, answer some of these really urgent questions.

I imagine, if there was a real problem with the car, there would have been a recall by now.
I'm not so sure about that, theres a problem currently with the L405 model of Range Rover, the suspension knuckles shear off allowing the front wheel to collapse and throw itself under the car. Luckily as far as everyone on the forum knows, this has only happened at low speed. It's taken JLR months to accept a recall is needed even though there were many reported cases. Eventually they relented and did a recall in USA, when UK owners contacted JLR they claimed there wasnt an issue and denied the recall in USA. Eventually they have now done a recall in the UK within specific VIN ranges, JLR are not absolutely sure when the suspect parts / assembly technique was used, owners that have a failure outside the VIN range have a right battle with JLR to get any repairs done under warranty and beyond warranty, it really is a serious defect. All this on a £100k plus car and owners still keep going back for more.

Exactly how it needs to be from a safety perspective.
Hi John, this is a genuine question but why would you want to be able to drive the car without the key present? Surely that just makes nicking them even easier?

Cheers,

Sam

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity
Brian I did read a article in the South Wales press not long ago with the police having to do exactly the same.It was the same model as yours so I sure your telling the truth.
Did you find out the problem??

Hi John, this is a genuine question but why would you want to be able to drive the car without the key present? Surely that just makes nicking them even easier?

Cheers,

Sam

I'm guessing that the idea is that once the car's moving it could be dangerous if the power suddenly cut off because (say) the battery in the key fob chose that moment to go flat.

Brian I did read a article in the South Wales press not long ago with the police having to do exactly the same.It was the same model as yours so I sure your telling the truth.
Did you find out the problem??

Do you have a link to the article you saw?

Cheers,

Sam
Hi Sam,
The danger would be if the car lost communication with the key and it stopping, it wouldnt be a good situation in the outside lane of a busy motorway or many other scenario's.

Hi Sam,
The danger would be if the car lost communication with the key and it stopping, it wouldnt be a good situation in the outside lane of a busy motorway or many other scenario's.
Yeah, that makes sense, thanks

In my opinion it all a bit far fetched, surely in the UK you would have a police/gov vehicle inspector to do some investigation as to the reason why such a serious problem would happen. This would surely warrant a recall and was it on the news via police media?

In my opinion it all a bit far fetched, surely in the UK you would have a police/gov vehicle inspector to do some investigation as to the reason why such a serious problem would happen. This would surely warrant a recall and was it on the news via police media?
Theres a number of items that sound impossible / unlikely.

1) Brake failure of dual circuit brakes highly unlikely.
2) If stopped by crashing into the back of a police vehicle, the motor would have tried to keep on going (it was allegedly out of control and could not be stopped), a motor in this condition would overheat and burn out / cause a fire.
3) He phoned his wife to keep people out of the way and she got there to help
4) No apparent damage to the font of his vehicle / back of the police vehicle.
5) Surely if you found yourself in this situation it would be simple to drive round a roundabout continuously until the battery was flat or crash into a hedgerow in a controlled manner.

There hasnt to my knowledge been any responses from MG, the Police or DVSA on this matter. IMHO it's complete and utter male cow manure.

I'm not so sure about that, theres a problem currently with the L405 model of Range Rover, the suspension knuckles shear off allowing the front wheel to collapse and throw itself under the car. Luckily as far as everyone on the forum knows, this has only happened at low speed. It's taken JLR months to accept a recall is needed even though there were many reported cases. Eventually they relented and did a recall in USA, when UK owners contacted JLR they claimed there wasnt an issue and denied the recall in USA. Eventually they have now done a recall in the UK within specific VIN ranges, JLR are not absolutely sure when the suspect parts / assembly technique was used, owners that have a failure outside the VIN range have a right battle with JLR to get any repairs done under warranty and beyond warranty, it really is a serious defect. All this on a £100k plus car and owners still keep going back for more.
That sounds so similar to the old Morris Minor front suspension threaded swivel kingpin and trunnion trouble. If they weren’t greased as required the threads wore down and pulled through and collapsed the suspension.
It happened at low speed too when there was most tension on the parts due to the car’s weight.
Real fun in rush hour traffic waiting to turn right at traffic lights - I know 😱

If I recall, the Morris Minor problem only occurred at low speed because the steering would be on a greater lock than at higher speed. At greater lock the trunnion had less thread engaged. The failure at low speed on tighter turns meant there were probably fewer more dangerous accidents.

This is a long way from the MG EV situation, but the lack of follow-up information is unsatisfactory.

If I recall, the Morris Minor problem only occurred at low speed because the steering would be on a greater lock than at higher speed. At greater lock the trunnion had less thread engaged. The failure at low speed on tighter turns meant there were probably fewer more dangerous accidents.

This is a long way from the MG EV situation, but the lack of follow-up information is unsatisfactory.
So was the Land Rover story then but my apologies.

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity
Interesting, but why does your profile picture look nothing like the picture of you in the media?

Just makes us all suspicious of the story. Maybe provide an update, how's the car driving now?

Interesting, but why does your profile picture look nothing like the picture of you in the media?

Just makes us all suspicious of the story. Maybe provide an update, how's the car driving now?

I've been searching online for any updates about this story for ages without any luck, It's annoying to say the least that there is no news about this case from the person involved, the police or MG Motors. 😒

I've been searching online for any updates about this story for ages without any luck, It's annoying to say the least that there is no news about this case from the person involved, the police or MG Motors. 😒
Perhaps he should provide a police incident number or it’s fake news .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom