Interior heating

SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
A question that occurred to me today.... Is the MG4 interior heating only electrical or is there any use of the battery/motor cooling systems to provide heat to the interior?

Is there anyone here that works for MG or a dealership that can shed any light?

You could download the service manual (it’s in a post somewhere on this forum) which will explain that the cabin heater and the battery heater are separate systems.
The cabin sits on top of the battery so you could say the battery might provide some heat and insulation but not that much.

The cabin heater in the UK models is a PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heating element. It doesn't use the battery heating in any way (as far as I know).

I wasn't asking about the battery heater. I was asking about the battery and/or Motor cooling systems. If they are putting that through a radiator (I presume that is what is behind the cooling vents) them they might have included a radiator for the heating system too. It work fine on a 1950's Mini.

It is solely an electrical heater.

Tesla has a patent for using waste motor heat to heat the battery pack up and cabin.

Motor when we had -6C other day got upto 15C on our MG ZS EV MK1, MG4 doesn't seem to report motor temp via OBD2 as the PIDs haven't been decoded

I'm guessing the battery heating/cooling system uses the HV battery to heat up so putting the coolant through the cabin heater via a small radiator core would probably be less efficient than just using the PTC heater.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back