IPhones and Carplay

Jayarfer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Having had so many problems with USB connection of various Android phones for Android Auto I have read a number of commentators who have said that the interface is flaky and highly dependent on the model of phone connected. There also seems to be a problem whereby Android phones will disconnect when they reach full charge via the USB and then no Android Auto is available. As I have previously said, I have the car in at the dealer on 4th October as they say there is a software update. I am somewhat sceptical as it is a brand new ZS EV and there are so many other reports of problems from other owners with new ZS EV's. I will wait and see, but meanwhile I think I would prefer to go down the Apple route for USB connection as there have been very few issues reported and IOS also doesn't disconnect when full charge reached. My question is, has anyone successfully connection an Apple 8 via USB and is using Carplay without any problems? Does anyone know what is the lowest version of IOS that is compatible with the MG ZS EV? Thanks if anyone can help.

I've not had any problem with an Android phone disconnecting when fully charged. Though that wasn't on an EV, but I cannot think the phone knows that !

Using iOS has been ok for me but I do use a newer iPhone (12). The one big issue that you can have is sensitivity to the cable used. I tried several and had issues with intermittent disconnecting. The apple cable and Anker cable seem to work best for me anyway.

I have an old iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4 on it - the most recent version you can get on that device - and that supports CarPlay. I think from the 6S onwards you get the latest version of iOS so an iPhone 8 will be fine in that respect. CarPlay is hit and miss for me regardless of the cable type and I've tried several including different Apple cables from other devices. My issue is it drops out from time-to-time, and more often than not I don't notice if I'm not using a CarPlay compatible app. This results in missed calls! For this reason I tend to use Bluetooth. You may have more success with a never phone.

I have an old iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4 on it - the most recent version you can get on that device - and that supports CarPlay. I think from the 6S onwards you get the latest version of iOS so an iPhone 8 will be fine in that respect. CarPlay is hit and miss for me regardless of the cable type and I've tried several including different Apple cables from other devices. My issue is it drops out from time-to-time, and more often than not I don't notice if I'm not using a CarPlay compatible app. This results in missed calls! For this reason I tend to use Bluetooth. You may have more success with a never phone.
Thanks (everyone). I will use my Android phone for calls via Bluetooth so the iPhone is only for CarPlay so hopefully I won't have some of the dropping out problems with the iPhone 8. As with Android the view seems to be that the right cable is crucial, but I have tried about 10 different ones, official Samsung and Anker but Android Auto just doesn't seem to work via USB hence I will try the Apple solution.I will let you know (and if the dealer can fix on October 4th!)

I use one of these amazon premium apple certified cables, very good quality and a good length for our use, work perfect for apple car play.
I ended up buying a box of them and have put the rest I didn't want on ebay.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one of these amazon premium apple certified cables, very good quality and a good length for our use, work perfect for apple car play.
I ended up buying a box of them and have put the rest I didn't want on ebay.
Thanks, I will buy from your ebay listing (unable to checkout at the mo' as says your on hols). Thanks for the heads up.

I bought 2 short cables off of eBay for 2 quid, no worse than any other cable on my old phone, sometimes worked sometimes didn't, but work perfectly on my new phone.

I have a CarPlay wireless adaptor which works fine in the ZS. No issues at all. I use a iPhone 8 and the other half uses a iPhone 7 Plus, both work fine.

Last edited:
I have the latest Google Pixel phone and I still can't get calls to come through Android Auto. Every time I get a call and answer it it gets routed to my phone. If I click to send it to Bluetooth it sends it to my smart watch instead!
Happens on every Android I've had in the past 4 years and in every car with Android Auto.
I'm beyond annoyed with it.

Like most of the electronics' on the ZS, which is a miss mash of cockeyed idea's, which don't enhance the driving experience one bit. I've given up with Android Auto which is another hit or miss item. I really do believe that MG should have stuck to the basics if they wanted sell their cars cheaper than their competitors.
MG will never compete with the Tesla's of this world and keep their prices low, so why even try. The ZS Forum is filled with moans and groans, which only proves that they've got it wrong somewhere?

Like most of the electronics' on the ZS, which is a miss mash of cockeyed idea's, which don't enhance the driving experience one bit. ......
. The ZS Forum is filled with moans and groans, which only proves that they've got it wrong somewhere?
My driving experience is fine, forums is where you find moans and questions. You will find all owners forums to be the same.
Would be a pretty boring forum if the vast majority of owners that are satisfied people came on and said I'm happy, are you happy, yes I'm happy are you......etc etc
To misquote a well known saying, good news is no news.

Latest update. I invested in an iPhone 8 and the g
Thanks, I will buy from your ebay listing (unable to checkout at the mo' as says your on hols). Thanks for the heads up.

Got the lead thanks, and bought an iPhone 8 to try. I am throwing money at this what with a new Samsung phone, the Apple and all the leads I have bought!

Guess what, Apple Carplay doesn't work in my MG ZS EV either. Thanks anyway. I am guessing it must be the MG Head Unit at fault, or the USB connector. All I can do now is wait on the MG dealer to fix on 4th October.

Got the lead thanks, and bought an iPhone 8 to try. I am throwing money at this what with a new Samsung phone, the Apple and all the leads I have bought!

Guess what, Apple Carplay doesn't work in my MG ZS EV either. Thanks anyway. I am guessing it must be the MG Head Unit at fault, or the USB connector. All I can do now is wait on the MG dealer to fix on 4th October.
That’s very annoying.
Have you tried giving the head unit a “reset”, hold the power button down for about 30 secs.

If you get chance try your phone in another ZS - one at the dealer maybe? It will eliminate your phone as the issue if it works.

That’s very annoying.
Have you tried giving the head unit a “reset”, hold the power button down for about 30 secs.
Yes, just did that again thanks. I am and IT tech with some 30 years experience so these things don't usually defeat me, but this time........wow. I tried the Apple route as a lot of the Android solutions seemed to involve faffing about with developer options, maintaining a precise order of connecting things, special cables and really, something this fundamental to a brand new car should work plug and play. Again, thanks for any help offered and any more suggestions welcome!

Yes, just did that again thanks. I am and IT tech with some 30 years experience so these things don't usually defeat me, but this time........wow. I tried the Apple route as a lot of the Android solutions seemed to involve faffing about with developer options, maintaining a precise order of connecting things, special cables and really, something this fundamental to a brand new car should work plug and play. Again, thanks for any help offered and any more suggestions welcome!
I wonder if the USB port hasn’t been connected/plugged in to the head unit.
I think it’s been said before, only 1 USB port is android auto/car play enabled; the other is still connected to the head unit though as I think you can do media via it.
I always find things are rarely “real” hardware faults, almost always software, occasionally a bad connection.

If your iPhone is up to date with the latest updates, and you’re plugging into the driver-side USB port, it should work fine. On my ‘21 ZS EV I have seen it sometimes take a moment for the CarPlay icon to turn green on the head unit, but if you’re not seeing that, then it’s likely the head unit.

One other thing you can check is that when you plug the iPhone in, you should see that it’s charging. If that’s not happening, then the fault could be with the cable or USB port itself.

Of course, if the iPhone is otherwise working (charging elsewhere) and up to date, you can be sure the issue is not with that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom