Is MG ZS EV timed charging now working 100%? And are Andersen chargers ok?

Graham

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is my first post so Hi to everyone. I have just ordered an MG ZS EV which the dealer is getting in March as he already had that particular car/colour on order without a sale. I am changing to Octopus Go electricity tariff for the low tariff between 12.30 - 4.30am. After looking online I realised there was a problem with charging the car on a timer. MG now promote Rolec Wallpod charge points so I phoned them and they said MG were working on a fix but until then you could trickle charge to keep the car "awake" and fully charge when the cheap tariff started (they didn't explain how you did this though and although it sounds good I'm not sure how you achieve this in practice).

Then I phone MG and they said there had been a software fix and to make sure the dealer installed all updates before delivery (I'll check but I would have thought they would anyway).

I noticed from previous posts that after the fix there were still problems - does anyone else currently charge on a delayed timer and after the fix find it now works OK?

Also I'm thinking of getting an Andersen charge point, they're expensive but tidy. Has anyone any experience of the charge point or company?

Mine (with Zappi charger) works fine 9 times out of 10 but, to be safe, I suggest you charge the day before you need it so you have a second bite at the cherry if it doesn't or, if essential, put it on trickle with an overnight boost.

I guess not 100% reliable yet - sometimes doesn't wake up for a top-up from my PV surplus via Zappi either. Not sure what the most recent (Jan) software update included but haven't had that done.

Screenshot_20200128-132636_Facebook.jpg

If you need to charge every night without fail, then yes but not everyone does and the trickle option is an effective work-around when necessary at minimal extra cost.

I had issues with starting the car due to ambiguous info and returned to the dealer to clarify the conflicting misinformation. Fortunately the guy was pretty clued up and sorted things out for me.

Whilst I was there I questioned him on the 'deferred or delay charging' which he was totally unaware of. I mentioned that his sales team had informed me the software update had either been added by MG at the import holding area otherwise would have received the MG Cars software update at their dealership which he said he knew nothing about and certainly hadn't carried out any updates on their delivered cars.

He had no idea what to look for, couldn't show me how it worked and said maybe MG update directly to the car which baffled me a little.

Fortunately I do not need to charge at a reduced electricity rate at present but hope things will be sorted by the time It's required. If anyone can advise where to look or how to delay charging I'm sure it would be helpful to others too.

He had no idea what to look for, couldn't show me how it worked and said maybe MG update directly to the car which baffled me a little.
Teslas update their software 'over the air' when a new software release is pushed out. Meaning their firmware updates are downloaded by the car when they connect to the Testla server via Wi-Fi and then update in the car.
The MG dealer was probably thinking of that, but I doubt that happens as I've not heard of it as a feature of the MG ZS EV.

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread existed when I posted my version of this ongoing problem. It's almost comforting to know I'm not alone!

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread existed when I posted my version of this ongoing problem. It's almost comforting to know I'm not alone!
Yes timed charging works if you set it to trickle with a cheap-rate boost. If you want a stand-alone cheap-rate charge it seems to depend on the charger, the version of the car BMS software and how long it is between plugging in and locking the car and the charge starting.

Ohme have implemented a fix in their charger software, specifically for the MG. They also fully support Agile Octopus (they pick out each 30 minute period overnight, to give you the very cheapest charge). I've been using the updated code (it was developed partly using my charger) now for nearly two months, with complete reliability. The cost saving we've made by moving to Agile Octopus tariff and the Ohme intellegent charge are amazing!!

the issue with the "trickle charge" work-around used by some other charger vendors is that "trickle" is actually 1.7kw (6A), so not such a "trickle" after all - can significantly impact charging costs.....

The average UK driver drives about 9,000 miles a year. If we assume the ZS EV averages 3.5 miles/kWh over a 12 month period then the car consumes about 2,500kWh of electricity per year

If you are charging at a normal daytime rate of around 14p/kWh, that's works out at around £360.00 "fuel cost" for the year. So even if you charged only at night, and that night time electric was free, your savings are not going to be "Amazing".

You might save around £250 year, which is good, but not "Amazing".

Ohme have implemented a fix in their charger software, specifically for the MG. They also fully support Agile Octopus (they pick out each 30 minute period overnight, to give you the very cheapest charge). I've been using the updated code (it was developed partly using my charger) now for nearly two months, with complete reliability. The cost saving we've made by moving to Agile Octopus tariff and the Ohme intellegent charge are amazing!!

the issue with the "trickle charge" work-around used by some other charger vendors is that "trickle" is actually 1.7kw (6A), so not such a "trickle" after all - can significantly impact charging costs.....
So about 5kWh at 14p instead of 9p = 25p? Likely to be even less on Agile and then only on days when a full overnight charge is essential.

Folks, please allow me to correct your maths based on my experience. Before I moved over to Agile Octopus, I was paying 7.2p per unit overnight, so the car would never have been charged at anything more than this. The previous car (which the MG replaced) was averaging 12,000 miles per year (the MG is doing a lot more than that, as we're both using it as much as we can, rather than the second car - but for the sake of this argument I'll stick to the 12,000 miles). So before Octopus, we were paying 7.2/3.5=2.1 pence per mile. We quickly changed to Octopus, then to Agile tariff after taking delivery of the car. Since January I estimate the amount we've paid for electricity (remember that the Ohme charger picks only the cheapest 30 minute slots when charging) is about 4p per unit (that's conservative - sometimes it's been NEGATIVE!). So we're now paying 4/3.5=1.1p per mile. Over 12000 miles that's £132. The previous car (an old Skoda Fabia) was averaging 43mpg (measured) at approx 125p per litre average, which over the 12000 miles is £1,587. So we're saving 1587 - 132 = £1,455 per year, or £121.25 per month! that's a massive saving in my book as it's paying for half the car repayments! (the other half are being paid for by lack of garage costs, mot, servicing and car tax). So replacing the Skoda with the MG was a TOTAL no-brainer!!

This is absolutely true, I’m using my MG now as a company car and therefore get an car allowance and mileage allowance, which I’m hoping will pay for the car in full because my fuel saving alone of about £150 per month is paying for half the car already, but as your said hopefully no additional cost other than wear and tear...
In addition to this I have been finding the Pod-Point chargers great as they are free at most locations and therefore whilst out and about I pull over plug in and do some work in the car, telephone calls and emails whilst having a cheeky top up it’s all about changing routines. I’m sure I will be seeing the positive increase in cash flow soon.

Interesting that Podpoint chargers are free - I found one free one at a supermarket, and another at the John Lewis car park in Solihull (whilst collecting my son-in-law's Tesla model 3 - lucky git :)) but I've not seen many more... I'll need to look for them more carefully. I presume they're all fast chargers, rather than rapid?

There are quiet a few, are you using Zap-Map? If not down load the app it’s really good and you will be able to see where they all are...good hunting.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Yes, I have Zap-map (and a few others :) - although Zap-Map is the one I use regularly) but I haven't specifically filtered on PodPoint chargers before now, as I've been focussed on rapids. Maybe I'll be a bit more patient and introduce some free fast-charging into my travel plans....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom