Is The MG4 The Most Enjoyable Car To Drive That You Have Owned.

Yeah I have Goodyear vectors on our other car and they are really decent in the winter

I’ve had Michelins and Goodyears on several cars, they’re pretty much inseparable in terms of performance, so it just comes down to price.

I have recently fitted Kumho Solus all season to our evoque and to say I’m impressed with them so far is an understatement.
Great in the dry, sharpening up the steering quite noticeably (nicer turn in compared with the Michelins before.
Absolutely superb in the wet, and all while being considerably cheaper than Michelin and Goodyear.
Snow will be the real test of course, time will tell there.

In terms of driving enjoyment, I’ve had scores of cars (I’ve literally changed cars within days before) and I’ve probably forgotten quite a few.
But stands out that stick with me are my RS2000 custom (the one with the tennis racket headrests) , my Alpina BMW, my Mini dooper (not a spelling error) and my first EV (a Leaf 24kw).
EVs were a novelty back in 2015 and the sheer disbelief and annoyance from other drivers when I overtook them or even kept up with them was a proper giggle.

Many moons ago, I reckon it was in the 1990s or possibly early 2000s, I was driving along the M4 at a pretty decent speed. I was either in the XR2 or the Peugeot GTi and although I wasn't flying, I wasn't dawdling either. Something came up behind me and passed me quite easily, all painted up in advertising slogans to inform the world that it was an electric car.

Oh. Right.

Well, of my current cars I enjoy the experience driving it but it's not a "drivers car" my 13yr old 1.2 Fiat Punto, although a lot slower can be thrown into most curves flat out and just drifts 😄
I'm still building confidence with the MG....
My current cars include a 1989 Porsche 964. a 924s, a 1973 Porsche 914, Jaguar F-Type, Xf, P38 4.6l Range Rover, mk1 discovery....

I'm doing 90% of my driving electrically though...

Favourite of all time...? 205 1.9 GTI or the Subaru P1 wish I kept them 😒

Fingers crossed the Cybertruck I ordered during the announcement might arrive late 24 early 25 😎

my 13yr old 1.2 Fiat Punto, although a lot slower can be thrown into most curves flat out and just drifts

Really?

I had one as a courtesy car to get me home a couple of months ago (2016 registration), when my motorhome (Fiat Ducati) was in the dealer's having its 5 year cam belt change, service and MOT. I had never driven a Punto before, but I thought it was the most boring vehicle I have ever driven (perhaps on par with my father's old Lada and Moskvitch in the 1970's and 80's). It never got used while I had it, other than the journey home, and back to the dealer's premises to pick up my van.

Have to admit that I don't quite get all the chatter about tyres and in particular changing the factory fitted tyres.
I don't see any problems with these. So I must be missing something I guess.

Have to admit that I don't quite get all the chatter about tyres and in particular changing the factory fitted tyres.

Some people manage fine on budget tyres, which the OE tyres are.
Drive moderately and you’ll likely be fine.
Push them a bit and they do the usual budget tyre thing of lack of grip and, most importantly, a complete lack of feel.
Again, some people don’t mind not knowing/feeling what their tyres are up to.

It's when tyres are half way through their tread wear that the differences show up between budget and quality tyres but in my opinion as long as you go with one of the premium brands you won't go far wrong.

Well, we used to own a Range Rover (classic - the good ones!) and that was pretty fabulous. And at the time we could afford the 18.5mpg that it consumed. But yes, you are right. The MG4 is an utter joy. On our narrow twisty single-track roads it's utterly glued to the road. The only thing that concerns me a little is the standard tyres, which I think we may change before winter. I also drive hardly touching the brakes, enjoying the new skill of trying to judge slowing down just right.
(Full disclosure: I'm also reluctant to discuss my age. But my first car was also an old Mini, of which we eventually had 3)
I second this, had a P38 range rover 2.5d for a while and it was an joy to drive. Though it was in the garage more than on the road due to an unscrupulous previous owner bodging everything.

I love the MG4 though, only complaint would be more boot space, but I am used to large SUVs

It's when tyres are half way through their tread wear that the differences show up between budget and quality tyres but in my opinion as long as you go with one of the premium brands you won't go far wrong.

I’d usually agree, but the continentals on the 4 show even premium brands get it wrong.
Continental do (or used to have) a good name.
I wouldn’t normally put them in the same part of a Venn diagram as ‘Sunny’ or ‘Landsail’

Some people manage fine on budget tyres, which the OE tyres are.
Drive moderately and you’ll likely be fine.
Push them a bit and they do the usual budget tyre thing of lack of grip and, most importantly, a complete lack of feel.
Again, some people don’t mind not knowing/feeling what their tyres are up to.
I would not call the continental tyres budget even if they are manufactured in China. But hey ho.

I would not call the continental tyres budget even if they are manufactured in China. But hey ho.
The Chinese spec continentals are not quite up to the spec of European continentals, it's not where they are made it's the market they are made for

I
I'm sure the tyres are just fine, and I can't speak for all those talking about tyres, but we live in the far north west of Scotland, and have learnt that tyres suitable for winter conditions tend to be safer than harder-wearing summer-style tyres. Also generally, tread patterns on winter/all-season tyres tend to be a little more aggressive in terms of snow grip. The "straight line" tyres that are standard are really no comparison. For us to get to the nearest village in requires ascending and descending a hill that requires 40-50% power at about 35-40 mph to ascend, and regens at 12% or more down the other side. Even the slightest dusting of snow has an inappropriately shod car sliding and unable to get up that hill (Sròn and Cnoc a' Bhainne, for those who know). We've seen other cars absolutely stuck, or slid off the road, on even the gentler parts of such hills, of which there are quite a few, the two I mentioned just being the worst.

I suppose could take our chances with the factory tyres and see how things go this winter, but why risk it? But again, there's nothing wrong with the factory tyres, I don't think, right up to the first snowfall.

I'm sure the tyres are just fine, and I can't speak for all those talking about tyres, but we live in the far north west of Scotland, and have learnt that tyres suitable for winter conditions tend to be safer than harder-wearing summer-style tyres. Also generally, tread patterns on winter/all-season tyres tend to be a little more aggressive in terms of snow grip. The "straight line" tyres that are standard are really no comparison. For us to get to the nearest village in requires ascending and descending a hill that requires 40-50% power at about 35-40 mph to ascend, and regens at 12% or more down the other side. Even the slightest dusting of snow has an inappropriately shod car sliding and unable to get up that hill (Sròn and Cnoc a' Bhainne, for those who know). We've seen other cars absolutely stuck, or slid off the road, on even the gentler parts of such hills, of which there are quite a few, the two I mentioned just being the worst.

I suppose could take our chances with the factory tyres and see how things go this winter, but why risk it? But again, there's nothing wrong with the factory tyres, I don't think, right up to the first snowfall.

Oh. Bloody hell, in fact. Actually, I didn't negotiate that lot when I was up your way, because we took the ponies along the path through Achmelvich. I think it's not so steep! I hadn't realised the actual road was quite so... well... interesting.

I just tabbed along it on Google streetview. Do not under any circumstances even contemplate trying that with the factory tyres, you'll be off the road. And tell me which winter tyres you find best and I'll be ordering some too. Because that road looks unsafe for anything less than a half-track if there's snow lying.

I did some roads that weren't too dissimilar in the Yorkshire Dales in May, and the car was absolutely fine. But having experienced the Golf on its factory (summer) tyres in the winter of 2009-10, I absolutely dread to think what would happen in winter with the Contis.

As I’ve already said, I wouldn’t normally consider continental budget either.
But the Chinese made continentals on the 4 behave as badly as other Chinese made bhdget brands I’ve had the misfortune to drive on.
A lack of feel, a feeling of always being on the edge of grip, a feeling that if they do go they’re not going to go progressively and predictably etc
Slapping on some Goodyear Vectors transformed my 4.

Really?

I had one as a courtesy car to get me home a couple of months ago (2016 registration), when my motorhome (Fiat Ducati) was in the dealer's having its 5 year cam belt change, service and MOT. I had never driven a Punto before, but I thought it was the most boring vehicle I have ever driven (perhaps on par with my father's old Lada and Moskvitch in the 1970's and 80's). It never got used while I had it, other than the journey home, and back to the dealer's premises to pick up my van.
The joy comes from the fact you can drive at 10/10ths all the time and not break any speed limits…I love 4 wheel drifting it round a mini roundabout (when it’s quiet of course 😇)
Now try that in my 964 or the V8 F-Type 😳

Oh. Bloody hell, in fact. Actually, I didn't negotiate that lot when I was up your way, because we took the ponies along the path through Achmelvich. I think it's not so steep! I hadn't realised the actual road was quite so... well... interesting.

I just tabbed along it on Google streetview. Do not under any circumstances even contemplate trying that with the factory tyres, you'll be off the road. And tell me which winter tyres you find best and I'll be ordering some too. Because that road looks unsafe for anything less than a half-track if there's snow lying.

I did some roads that weren't too dissimilar in the Yorkshire Dales in May, and the car was absolutely fine. But having experienced the Golf on its factory (summer) tyres in the winter of 2009-10, I absolutely dread to think what would happen in winter with the Contis.
I had some dashcam footage of nipping up and down those hills this last winter in our trusty Panda 4x4. But in a previous front wheel drive Panda, with just a light dusting, I thought I'd have to walk for it, as the car tacked from one side of the road to the other.

I think we may get up Sròn on the factory tyres, if we're careful and lucky, but I would not fancy going downhill trying to control 1.7tonnes and a deer jumps out in front, or we meet the gritter halfway down.

Interestingly the Panda was factory-fitted with Continentals. They were dreadful in comparison with virtually anything else we fitted subsequently.

Years back, I had some lovely Avon M+S tyres on the old Range Rover, Ruaridh Mhor. But I'm not sure how well Avon stack up against other options these days.

C,mon , Captain , Cybertruck? you live in Italy, the style capital of the world, do you hate your neighbours that much?
I live on a farm 😬
It’s a Marmite car, people say to me “where are you going to drive that..?” Where I like 😈
First accessory has to be a smoke machine for when you get out 🤣🤣🤣😎

It will certainly spark debate

I had some dashcam footage of nipping up and down those hills this last winter in our trusty Panda 4x4. But in a previous front wheel drive Panda, with just a light dusting, I thought I'd have to walk for it, as the car tacked from one side of the road to the other.

I think we may get up Sròn on the factory tyres, if we're careful and lucky, but I would not fancy going downhill trying to control 1.7tonnes and a deer jumps out in front, or we meet the gritter halfway down.

Interestingly the Panda was factory-fitted with Continentals. They were dreadful in comparison with virtually anything else we fitted subsequently.

Years back, I had some lovely Avon M+S tyres on the old Range Rover, Ruaridh Mhor. But I'm not sure how well Avon stack up against other options these days.

I couldn't get up School Brae in the village here in heavy snow just before Christmas 2009, about three months after I bought the Golf. I had to back off, take my mother (who was looking forward to the Christmas concert) home, drive back, park up at the bottom, and trudge up on foot. I got some snow socks after than (winter tyres were like gold dust), staggered through that winter on these, and got my bid for winter tyres in early for 2010-11.

I would not try going up the Sròn in snow in summer tyres for all the tea in China, frankly. And as for coming down, are you actually tired of living? Even without the deer or the gritter. (I wonder what the life expectancy of the guys driving the gritters is?)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back