Is The MG4 The Most Enjoyable Car To Drive That You Have Owned.

I had some dashcam footage of nipping up and down those hills this last winter in our trusty Panda 4x4. But in a previous front wheel drive Panda, with just a light dusting, I thought I'd have to walk for it, as the car tacked from one side of the road to the other.

I think we may get up Sròn on the factory tyres, if we're careful and lucky, but I would not fancy going downhill trying to control 1.7tonnes and a deer jumps out in front, or we meet the gritter halfway down.

Interestingly the Panda was factory-fitted with Continentals. They were dreadful in comparison with virtually anything else we fitted subsequently.

Years back, I had some lovely Avon M+S tyres on the old Range Rover, Ruaridh Mhor. But I'm not sure how well Avon stack up against other options these days.

I used to be sponsored by Avon in my bike racing days, they were a great company to deal with.
Then they were bought over by an American brand, Cooper tyres I think.
And, last I heard, production of tyres in the UK had stopped altogether.
Damned shame, I’ve used their car tyres up until a few years ago purely because of past links and British manufacturing.
Their sporty tyre (called something like the ZR7) was great on my Mini Cooper.

I had some dashcam footage of nipping up and down those hills this last winter in our trusty Panda 4x4. But in a previous front wheel drive Panda, with just a light dusting, I thought I'd have to walk for it, as the car tacked from one side of the road to the other.

I think we may get up Sròn on the factory tyres, if we're careful and lucky, but I would not fancy going downhill trying to control 1.7tonnes and a deer jumps out in front, or we meet the gritter halfway down.

Interestingly the Panda was factory-fitted with Continentals. They were dreadful in comparison with virtually anything else we fitted subsequently.

Years back, I had some lovely Avon M+S tyres on the old Range Rover, Ruaridh Mhor. But I'm not sure how well Avon stack up against other options these days.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived up there at the back of beyond in the beautiful country of Assynt? Were you there during the two bad winters 2009-10 and 2010-11? I was thinking maybe right on the west coast near sea level you might not get the snow we get here 800 feet up in the Pentlands, but these two winters were quite something.

I

I'm sure the tyres are just fine, and I can't speak for all those talking about tyres, but we live in the far north west of Scotland, and have learnt that tyres suitable for winter conditions tend to be safer than harder-wearing summer-style tyres. Also generally, tread patterns on winter/all-season tyres tend to be a little more aggressive in terms of snow grip. The "straight line" tyres that are standard are really no comparison. For us to get to the nearest village in requires ascending and descending a hill that requires 40-50% power at about 35-40 mph to ascend, and regens at 12% or more down the other side. Even the slightest dusting of snow has an inappropriately shod car sliding and unable to get up that hill (Sròn and Cnoc a' Bhainne, for those who know). We've seen other cars absolutely stuck, or slid off the road, on even the gentler parts of such hills, of which there are quite a few, the two I mentioned just being the worst.

I suppose could take our chances with the factory tyres and see how things go this winter, but why risk it? But again, there's nothing wrong with the factory tyres, I don't think, right up to the first snowfall.
Understood.

Attachments

• IMG_9827.jpeg
    IMG_9827.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 44
Short answer (ha) to OPs question. No, but it is good. Actually much better than I initially thought. The MG4 is a machine that eats mile after mile with ease, if it was a bit more silent and had fewer software gremlins it would be a extremly amazing car for the money. Infact a it would be a good car ar any normal price point period.

Active driving on the factory Contentinal C is questionable at best (no confedense in them), where are the grip limit? What is going on with the wheels? Is questions that pop up in my head while pushing it in the twistys (they grip wel in the dry but do not comunicate and are sceetchy in the whet), luckily my 2007 Toyota Auris 2,0 diesel have made me aqustomed to no steering feel and such (but I can drive the Toyota faster in the bends couse I know its limits and it have much better tires).

Most enjoyable car I have owned is tricky, the Ford Capris (1969 1600 and a 71 1300 mkI) was my first cars and quite enjoyable, later on my 1600GT mkII was ok (stil have it but now it's a 2,8i injection mkIII).
I loved my ford Granadas on long trips (78 2,8i GL and 83 2,3 GL station wagons and later a 82 2,8 ghia sedan with a 2,9 24v cosworth 😈) those was superb.
Heck my old 74 Datsun 120A (4 door) with the coupe drivetrain (different gearing) was very qiuck in the twisty bits and I regularly drove it up to 100 mph on real snow roads (I mean 10-15cm hard packed snow with 5cm loose snow on top) because it was never a speed control when the roads was snowy and the little frontwheel driven Datsun was a hoot with its high quality studded winter tyres.😁 (and I was a young skilled driver with no fear of dying, funny how things changes when one sees enough people die in traffick 🤔).

Most enjoyable car I have owned must be my 1992 Honda Accord 2,2, it was fast, comfy and put a lot of BMW wannabe fast drivers in their place. RIP Speedy, it was replaced by my very boring Auris in 2013 wich I stil drive every day to save miles on the 4 (no point in saving miles on the Auris at 345000km).

Of cars I have driven a lot without owning them the 78 Opel Ascona 2,0 whom I drove more than 100000km is a car I miss. Funnily enough I stil miss the later Peugeot 504 GL to, very comfy and never a back acke.

The best car I have driven a lot a 84? Saab 900 turbo sedan it's the best winter car ever and on it's original Michelin TRX tires it was very good in summer to (stil the 85 3 door aero version is the one to have)
Shout out to Fiat Ritmo 130tc abbarth as very very fun to drive.

P.s Fiat Punto boring to drive? Put the pedal to the metal and let it rip trough the bends, it's a car that transform from lazy City car to a wannabe racer if you trash it real hard.😉

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back