Is the windscreen athermic/metallic coated on the MG4 Trophy EV (phase 2)?

rjhfandclf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
I have at last invested in an EV now that the MG4 Trophy ER should, with careful management, get me the 800 miles down to SW France and back three times a year without too many stops ... already worked out, largely courtesy of Tesla, I think!

What I have found essential though in recent years is an Emovis TAG to zip through tolls - but these don't work through athermic or metallic-coated windscreens - so those generally have a black area in front of the mirror through which there is no coating to enable such gadgets to work.

The MG4's screen certainly seems to have the faint tint of a coated screen, and a surrounding black area - but none of this is visible internally to mount the gadget. I can't see that the glass bears any of the other suggested 'give-aways', so does anyone know the definitive answer to this, please? (My previous old Mercedes C220 125 Sport Estate had a similar situation but certainly no coating to the screen, so worked well).

Thanks

Do any of the French members have any experience of using the Emovis TAG in their MG4?

Might be a question for your dealer to find out for you. You could also email MG's customer services.

Do any of the French members have any experience of using the Emovis TAG in their MG4?

Might be a question for your dealer to find out for you. You could also email MG's customer services.
It might be interesting to hear what any French members say, but there are so many differences between the UK and EU specs for the ER Trophy that they more than likely have different windscreens too - so it might not be conclusive.

I have indeed emailed the dealer, but with little conviction, as when I have asked technical questions in the past (admittedly a few months ago when searching around) they had very little knowledge at all about the finer details ... like does the new car actually have a 7kW or 11kW battery? A: "Why? Are there two sorts?"

As a bête noire, I don't actually think this is entirely the dealers' fault; MG has an appalling train of up-to date information for consumers, as well as dealerships. How long has the Trophy ER been available? ... yet the website still directs you to out-of-date user manuals which don't even mention the ER Trophy (or X Power). This amateur lack of attention to detail is not clever and must amuse 'the opposition' greatly.

Last edited:
I dont know about the french tags, but I have a toll tag reader for my MG4 in Ireland and it reads well. I have it on the glass just out of reach of the sun visor.

My old Focus had the dimpled dots telling you where was best location for the tags, but the MG4 doesn't have this (I am July 2023 registered).

I dont know about the french tags, but I have a toll tag reader for my MG4 in Ireland and it reads well. I have it on the glass just out of reach of the sun visor.

My old Focus had the dimpled dots telling you where was best location for the tags, but the MG4 doesn't have this (I am July 2023 registered).
That's interesting to hear; it sounds very similar to mine - but I don't know if the LR is different to the ER in this area (I suspect maybe not). And I confess to not being entirely sure of the Irish specs, being (presumably) RHD, but seemingly using EU model titling?

I do rely on the tag considerably on my trips, so really need to find out definitively, if possible, rather than trial and error failing at the first péage.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back