Settled on purchasing the MG4 Trophy Long Range but do I wait for the phase 2 version or try and get a phase 1 2023 version?

Lee Morris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I'm really excited to be getting a MG4. I've looked around for months and this looks to be the car for me but reading some stuff online and this forum I'm a little uncertain how to proceed.

It seems the new phase 2 version of the car has true one pedal driving and a small rear screen wiper but loses the two tone roof and 11kw charging point. Plus I'm not too fussed on the look of the wheels and it seems the 18 inch wheels will make for a worse drive than the 17 inch ones.

Will the one pedel drive come to the older versions of the car? Can it technically be done?

How credible are the rumours that the phase 1 models will no longer receive updates?

So should I try and hunt around and find the phase 1 2023 version or wait until my local dealer has the phase 2 version in stock mid Sept?

This will be my first ever car, so everything is brand new to me.

Personally I would get the phase 2 as I don’t like the black roof.
I don't think 11kW makes much difference especially if you are on an overnight tariff.

Having an electric car is like getting a new mobile phone. MG is working hard on innovation. Your new model won't be latest model in two years, like my new face lifted ZS charging is not as fast as MG4.

I ordered mine in June, due to be delivered late September. Will this be a phase 2 do you think? It’s an SE Long Range so what does a phase 2 get extra from a phase 1?

It's all personal of course, but for someone on the othersides view, I am glad I have the MK1 in red. The black roof looks great and i'm happy not to have a rear wiper (which is not really needed on a Trophy especially) which would be blocked by the additional headrest anyway.
17 or 18 wheels.. not fussed at all
As for software updates, I doubt MG would abandon a car that is less than a year in the market. Just the same as mobile phone updates
One pedal driving, can be done via software updates

I've decided on the phase 1 version. I'm going to go to our local dealership this weekend and buy the car. The 11kw charging port, the 17inch wheels and to a lesser extent the two tone roof were the deal breakers for me.

I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement. I'll try and push them to give me a type 2 and granny cable with the car and see what the mat options are.

Is there anything else I should be asking them about before purchasing?

The granny EVSE comes with the car but If they want to shift the older model try for a type2 cable, but you can buy the anywhere, or MG mats and fitted mud flaps.

I've decided on the phase 1 version. I'm going to go to our local dealership this weekend and buy the car. The 11kw charging port, the 17inch wheels and to a lesser extent the two tone roof were the deal breakers for me.

I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement. I'll try and push them to give me a type 2 and granny cable with the car and see what the mat options are.

So get price from them, not forgetting you can get £2500 off price by joining MG owners club & using Affinity scheme (it cost £50 to join).
The best deal for type 1 I could find is through new car discount (saving £4569.00), they deliver to your door and usually include cables and mats. I have used them and found them very good. The delivery should be a week or two.
Good luck

If you have 3 phase electrical supply at home ,then, yes 11kw charger, if not and you intend having a home charger on single phase supply the 7kw version would be more suitable.

The granny EVSE comes with the car but If they want to shift the older model try for a type2 cable, but you can buy the anywhere, or MG mats and fitted mud flaps.
Oh right. That's good to know. Thanks👍
So get price from them, not forgetting you can get £2500 off price by joining MG owners club & using Affinity scheme (it cost £50 to join).
The best deal for type 1 I could find is through new car discount (saving £4569.00), they deliver to your door and usually include cables and mats. I have used them and found them very good. The delivery should be a week or two.
Good luck

Thanks for this. I'm going to be doing the 30% deposit and then 0% interest for 25 months. I presume that locks me out of the MG Owners Club deal. What is the Affinity scheme? Thank you 🙏

If you have 3 phase electrical supply at home ,then, yes 11kw charger, if not and you intend having a home charger on single phase supply the 7kw version would be more suitable.
We only have on street parking, will be charging using the bog standard 3 point plug untill we move house next year. We would then be installing a 3 phase charge point and I'm planning on running the car for a least the 7 year warranty, so will get a lot of years out of a 11kw charger over time

Oh right. That's good to know. Thanks👍

Thanks for this. I'm going to be doing the 30% deposit and then 0% interest for 25 months. I presume that locks me out of the MG Owners Club deal. What is the Affinity scheme? Thank you 🙏
I not sure it does, just Google mg affinity. Dealers don’t like talking about it

We only have on street parking, will be charging using the bog standard 3 point plug untill we move house next year. We would then be installing a 3 phase charge point and I'm planning on running the car for a least the 7 year warranty, so will get a lot of years out of a 11kw charger over time
Few UK properties have 3PH supplies and upgrading is expensive and a lot of work.

Why would you want a 3 phase charge point at home? It is really isn't necessary unless you have to do very fast turnarounds or loads of miles and want to squeeze all the charging into the cheap rate - even then the costs of a 3 phase install would probably outweigh any savings.

11kW will be useful on the road IF you are going to spend a lot of time at AC chargers - eg workplace or vacation. But it is really a nice to have, I wouldn't consider it essential for most people.

Why would you want a 3 phase charge point at home? It is really isn't necessary unless you have to do very fast turnarounds or loads of miles and want to squeeze all the charging into the cheap rate - even then the costs of a 3 phase install would probably outweigh any savings.

11kW will be useful on the road IF you are going to spend a lot of time at AC chargers - eg workplace or vacation. But it is really a nice to have, I wouldn't consider it essential for most people.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not really clear on how all the chargers differ from one another. So 3 phase chargers are for long stay charging?

Having an electric car is like getting a new mobile phone. MG is working hard on innovation. Your new model won't be latest model in two years, like my new face lifted ZS charging is not as fast as MG4.

Two years would be a fair point at which to do a facelift/revised model of anything.
MG coming out with a phase 2 car within a year, before some have even taken delivery of their phase 1 cars, shows nothing but contempt for their customers.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not really clear on how all the chargers differ from one another. So 3 phase chargers are for long stay charging?

No, three phase power supplies allow more powerful chargers to be fitted.
Three phase is more an commercial/industrial thing, not a domestic thing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back