Settled on purchasing the MG4 Trophy Long Range but do I wait for the phase 2 version or try and get a phase 1 2023 version?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not really clear on how all the chargers differ from one another. So 3 phase chargers are for long stay charging?
A normal home wall box will do you fine, that will give you 7.4kw an hour charging, more than enough.

11kw AC capability (3 phase) is normally on on public AC chargers or industrial as has been said, and only if your car is capable of taking it, apparently the phase 2 cars won't be.

It only comes in handy on public chargers if your needing a top up and fancy stopping for lunch etc and not in that much of a rush that you need a fast charger.

I've just got back from a short break away with my little girl in Grasmere but with my ice car unfortunately. As I'm booked to go back there again late August, which by this time I should definitely have my phase 1 trophy, I searched local charge points and found I think 3 in Grasmere. They were all 22Kw so although in some ways I was leaning towards wanting a phase 2, I'm now quite happy I'll be able to get that bit of extra juice on board utilising the onboard 11Kw. 48p per kWh so not cheap but not so expensive that I'll be cancelling ordering dessert to claw the money back

I've just got back from a short break away with my little girl in Grasmere but with my ice car unfortunately. As I'm booked to go back there again late August, which by this time I should definitely have my phase 1 trophy, I searched local charge points and found I think 3 in Grasmere. They were all 22Kw so although in some ways I was leaning towards wanting a phase 2, I'm now quite happy I'll be able to get that bit of extra juice on board utilising the onboard 11Kw. 48p per kWh so not cheap but not so expensive that I'll be cancelling ordering dessert to claw the money back
Certainly in Scotland the 22kw chargers are all prices cheaper than the fast chargers, so very hand if you are not in a big rush.
I'm fortunate that my car takes 22kw, so can get 50% in and hour and a half ( which is good for a nice spot of lunch)

I've decided on the phase 1 version. I'm going to go to our local dealership this weekend and buy the car. The 11kw charging port, the 17inch wheels and to a lesser extent the two tone roof were the deal breakers for me.

I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement. I'll try and push them to give me a type 2 and granny cable with the car and see what the mat options are.

Is there anything else I should be asking them about before purchasing?
Yes, check the rear under tray of any car you intend to buy. Some have warping on the tray which should not be there. Also run the air con on cold, then listen for excessive noise (rattling and chirping sounds), again these should not be excessive, but if they are it needs to be resolved by the dealer without them trying to fob you off with "That's normal sir"

Megane e-Tech
Nice, I priced that on my works scheme but they wanted circa £700 for the launch edition and being honest I think it's a better looking car and the infotainment system looks in a different league. But as I'm not buying the mg4 price was the sensible choice

So after a lot of searching around I've found the Trophy Long Range in orange with the phase 1 spec. I've put down a £99 deposit today, as there are train strikes and it will be difficult for me to get there and back with potentially stranding myself in the city. Then tomorrow morning, go down for a test drive, look the car over and then set up the purchase. Then it's on to sorting out a 20k bank loan.

Due to the heads up from @Robf I used the Affinity process, as I work for the council. Massive thank you for that

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back