• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Is this the beginning of 'Rustgate' for the MG ZS EV?

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Nigel of The EV Puzzle has cancelled his order for the MG ZS EV for a number of reasons, but MG's handling of his legitimate concerns about rust and the MG warranty have been partly responsible for him cancelling his order.
I think MG need to address this issue quickly before more people get cold feet. What do you think?

It's not limited to white cars, the Facebook group has pictures from an 18 month old red car rusting, even in areas covered by underseal. I believe posted by someone who had a ZS and was looking to get an EV.

It's not a great look just before a large product launch.

I think there is more to what EV Puzzle was saying & posting to MG than he has let on. There are always 2 sides and we only have his very biased side.

Update: I waiting to hear from MG and I'm hoping for a definitive answer to the corrosion protection applied to the Chinese built MG ZS EV (Background research so far suggests that it might be a thin film zirconium treatment. This is a more environmentally friendly process of corrosion protection, but academic papers on the type of treatment don't appear to be overly conclusive, so perhaps that explains the 6 year corrosion warranty limit as thin film ziconium protection appears to be less proven than more traditional methods corrosion protection)
My MG salesperson told me the car was galvanised - ready to eat my hat if it is.
I'll post an update as soon as MG UK Headquarters respond...

I heard online the ZS has rust problems, there have been many thousands sold so the odd one might have a problem,but is covered with a 6 year anti corrosion warranty, your problem is that you are indecisive as you looked at having the MG last year, also you don't want to take a chance that you might lose money, the MG can be had after discounts for a little over £20,000.You said that you have sold your Kona, yet your wife is still driving it, how. look at the MG5 brilliant car

Nigel van The EV Puzzle heeft zijn bestelling voor de MG ZS EV om een aantal redenen geannuleerd, maar MG's afhandeling van zijn legitieme zorgen over roest en de MG-garantie zijn er gedeeltelijk verantwoordelijk voor dat hij zijn bestelling heeft geannuleerd.
Ik denk dat MG dit probleem snel moet aanpakken voordat meer mensen koudwatervrees krijgen. Wat denk je?

[MEDIA = youtube] bxxrd4PDKvw [/ MEDIA]
Nu heeft hij een kona waar de accu's van in brand kunnen vliegen 😄😄

Stories like this do make me laugh. Our local Mitsubishi and MG dealership has the same luck. They dumped MG just prior to the ZSEV launch then two months ago Mitsubishi stated that they’re to pull out of Europe!!

Nigel van The EV Puzzle heeft zijn bestelling voor de MG ZS EV om een aantal geannuleerde redenen, maar MG's afhandeling van zijn legitieme zorgen over roest en de MG-garantie zijn er gedeeltelijk voor dat hij zijn bestelling heeft geannuleerd.
Ik denk dat MG dit probleem snel moet aanpakken voordat meer mensen koudwatervrees krijgen. Wat denk je?

[MEDIA = youtube] bxxrd4PDKvw [/ MEDIA]
Nu heeft hij een kona waar de accu's van in brand kunnen vliegen 😄😄

Update: ik wacht op een bericht van MG en ik hoop op een definitief antwoord op de corrosiebescherming die wordt toegepast op de in China gebouwde MG ZS EV (achtergrondonderzoek suggereert tot dusver dat het een dunne film zirkoniumbehandeling zou kunnen zijn. Dit is een milieuvriendelijker vriendelijk proces van corrosiebescherming, maar academische papers over het type behandeling lijken niet overdreven overtuigend, dus misschien verklaart dat de limiet van 6 jaar corrosiegarantie, aangezien dunne film ziconiumbescherming minder bewezen lijkt te zijn dan meer traditionele methoden voor corrosiebescherming)
Mijn MG-verkoper vertelde me dat de auto verzinkt was - klaar om mijn hoed op te eten als dat zo is.
Ik zal een update plaatsen zodra het hoofdkantoor van MG UK reageert ...
in the Netherlands we have got 10 years warranty for corrosion .(sorry for my bad english)

Update: I waiting to hear from MG and I'm hoping for a definitive answer to the corrosion protection applied to the Chinese built MG ZS EV (Background research so far suggests that it might be a thin film zirconium treatment. This is a more environmentally friendly process of corrosion protection, but academic papers on the type of treatment don't appear to be overly conclusive, so perhaps that explains the 6 year corrosion warranty limit as thin film ziconium protection appears to be less proven than more traditional methods corrosion protection)
My MG salesperson told me the car was galvanised - ready to eat my hat if it is.
I'll post an update as soon as MG UK Headquarters respond...
Hi

I have a mg zs white 2019 and now rusting in the underbody at seams, car jack circle points are the worst and the metal edges as if it is rusting from the inside

mg have been little help directly and via the dealer and say this is surface staining - disappointed in their brand quality tbh as only untreated metal will rust

now the finance company are involved and investigating and the dealer bodyshop are now investigating

ombudsman is the last option if i dont get the outcome i would like

any feedback

thanks

Yes the hollow sections are not waxed..i treated my mg with tectyl ml...
The jacking spots ,tectyld as well..i Read that much car factory's spend less time and money in corrosion treadment.
Kia stonic,Ford focus,Ford ecosport alle the same surface corrosion...not Nice but no big problem.

Last edited:
I must admit I've never been underneath the MG ZS EV to check as I've only had it a month, I came from a Kia Niro hybrid to this ZS EV although a very nice car the room in this MG is way way better than the Niro. I have all the equipment/compressor in the garage to give it a good wax oiling when Summer comes around.(y)

Found this with regard to rust on ZS in the Zs video above the guy says he will compère with what the Nissan leaf is like underneath if this video does not play click the search box above right

Last edited:
I’m afraid this might turn out to be the compromise that we have been anticipating in our “value for money” MGs. I have posted before regarding this issue and only this week I found rust developing on the windscreen wiper spindles.
Many of us on this forum will have experience in preventing and treating rust in cars from a previous generation and so will see this as a price worth paying, I fall into this camp.
However, the majority of owners will be unaware of this rust issue and this could lead to a big problem for MG in the future.
A question for any MG executives reading this, what would it take to have the cars wax treated near the dock prior to delivery to the dealers?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom