Is this the beginning of 'Rustgate' for the MG ZS EV?

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Nigel of The EV Puzzle has cancelled his order for the MG ZS EV for a number of reasons, but MG's handling of his legitimate concerns about rust and the MG warranty have been partly responsible for him cancelling his order.
I think MG need to address this issue quickly before more people get cold feet. What do you think?

98dizzard

It's not limited to white cars, the Facebook group has pictures from an 18 month old red car rusting, even in areas covered by underseal. I believe posted by someone who had a ZS and was looking to get an EV.

It's not a great look just before a large product launch.

MikeProcter

I think there is more to what EV Puzzle was saying & posting to MG than he has let on. There are always 2 sides and we only have his very biased side.

Paul Longden

Update: I waiting to hear from MG and I'm hoping for a definitive answer to the corrosion protection applied to the Chinese built MG ZS EV (Background research so far suggests that it might be a thin film zirconium treatment. This is a more environmentally friendly process of corrosion protection, but academic papers on the type of treatment don't appear to be overly conclusive, so perhaps that explains the 6 year corrosion warranty limit as thin film ziconium protection appears to be less proven than more traditional methods corrosion protection)
My MG salesperson told me the car was galvanised - ready to eat my hat if it is.
I'll post an update as soon as MG UK Headquarters respond...