Ismart app not working? Advice?

Laurence1982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all, when we got the mg4 and I installed the ismart app, it paired (whilst sat inside the car) but had never once been able to connect to the car since. I don't really care that much but wondered if I'm missing something? Do I need to connect it manually again or something?

Last edited:
Solution
Hi all, when we got the mg4 and I installed the ismart app, it paired (whilst sat inside the car) but had never once been able to connect to the car since. I don't really care that much but wondered if I'm missing something? Do I need to connect it manually again or something?
Have you accepted the terms and conditions for ismart within the car main screen (think its the icon below the car binding icon) there is a Privacy tab at the bottom of Settings, tick both options to accept.
After my upgrade I had to reset some things (e.g. Alerts volume to quieten the indicators), but I didn't have to do anything as regards Privacy or anything like that - and the app just continued to work. 🤷‍♂️

Have you accepted the terms and conditions for ismart within the car main screen (think its the icon below the car binding icon) there is a Privacy tab at the bottom of Settings, tick both options to accept.
Legend. That's it! Thanks so much!

So it worked for a couple of days but this morning getting the "remote instruction has failed please try again later" message. And the location is off too (appears to be a point asking the journey home from work last night). Any thoughts?

Went to the car and once unlocked it then worked... Which is kinda pointless for a remote control!

It could be a blip with MG servers (busy or down), also more likely is the car does fall asleep after a day or so of not being used and I wonder if it does this sooner than should sometimes as it wakes up after unlocking as you said and works again. Its happened to me a couple of times but not very frequent and back up again.

The app has never worked reliably for me. At least binding works, but I have to do everything twice. First attempt always fails. The views won't show data properly unless reloaded twice. Scheduled battery heating has never worker so I have to wake up earlier in the morning to manually switch the heater on. Usually first attempt results in "service is not available please try again later" and the second attempt is successful.

I've not been able to use the app for more than 2 weeks now. It worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks, now just says 'app unavailable, please try later'. Deleted the app, reinstalled, won't login.

Mine is going to the dealer next week to have them look at the brakes which are squealing, so I'll ask them when I'm there on the off-chance that they have a clue!

The app has never worked reliably for me. At least binding works, but I have to do everything twice. First attempt always fails.
When the app is opened it often does a scan of the car first ... I find that this is really a bogus scan and I have to manually scan again before remote control functions like cabin heating will work. If the car won't manually scan then that's usually a sign of either a) the car needs to wake up (unlock/lock using the key fob - no need to go near the car), or b) MG's servers are down/busy.

I've not been able to use the app for more than 2 weeks now. It worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks, now just says 'app unavailable, please try later'. Deleted the app, reinstalled, won't login.

Mine is going to the dealer next week to have them look at the brakes which are squealing, so I'll ask them when I'm there on the
I still have the exact same issue as you. A couple of weeks for me to and it worked fine up until then. Tried different phones, deleting/installing/checked car is connected to WiFi and it's own 4G, accepted all privacy policies. Nothing seems to work.

@Ekips posted a potential fix in another thread, although I haven't tried it yet. I've actually deleted the app and learning to live without it until they can produce something reliable. There's a reason it has such a negative rating on the app store and until they sort it out I won't bother with it.

Just to let you know, I emailed [email protected] and although it took about a week, they finally responded and it's now working.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 15.20.49.png

Unfortunately the ismart app is driving me crazy: it has generally worked well for the last month with my mg4 lr, and connected this morning to start the air con. However, after a short drive, I cannot now reconnect. I have checked the network, sat in the car etc but it says try again layer!

I want to schedule charging for midnight.

Unfortunately the ismart app is driving me crazy: it has generally worked well for the last month with my mg4 lr, and connected this morning to start the air con. However, after a short drive, I cannot now reconnect. I have checked the network, sat in the car etc but it says try again layer!

I want to schedule charging for midnight.
Can't you set the charging schedule on your charger or its app? Just make sure the charging schedule is disabled in the iSmart app and car.

Thank you Ian, that's very helpful: yes I have done as you suggest and set the charge schedule manually (in the car) or through my Hive charger app. However, I do consider as a point of principle that the widely reported problems with MG iSmart app are unacceptable. The new app upgrade is even worse and many people are reporting poor reliability.

I have just had to upgrade the app as it won't work unless you do. Now it has lost my account so I cannot log in. I do not use the app so I won't be bothering with it any more. It would have been nice to have if it worked.

I have spent a few hours trying to bind the new app to my MG Trophy. The old app gave no problems. I looked at many different sources for advice but found nothing that worked.
I have now solved the problem for myself. I hope this might help others.
In the past I must have signed into the app by using my phone number or my email address. I assumed it was two ways of accessing my MG iSmart account. I now realise by doing that I have created two accounts, no feedback appears that tells you that fact.
When trying to bind the new app using the QR code on the infotainment display, it displayed “success” but remained on the binding screen on my phone. I was using my email address to sign into my iSmart account.
Eventually, I tried signing in using my phone number. Immediately the iSmart app connected to my car without the need to bind it using the QR code. It displayed the status of my car correctly.
Therefore, my car was already bound to my account because I must have used the phone number login when I originally bound the car with the old app.
MG do not make it clear that you have to stick to either email user name or mobile number user name, otherwise you create two accounts.

Last edited:
When I created an account for our ZS EV LR way back in 2022.
I only entered my mobile phone number in the vacant and field of the App and hit the create button before remembering to populate the e.mail field.
To my great surprise, it accepted it instantly !.
Therefore I have never used my e.mail address.
Others you have tried with their mobile numbers, but have not been as lucky for some reason.

I have spent a few hours trying to bind the new app to my MG Trophy. The old app gave no problems. I looked at many different sources for advice but found nothing that worked.
I have now solved the problem for myself. I hope this might help others.
In the past I must have signed into the app by using my phone number or my email address. I assumed it was two ways of accessing my MG iSmart account. I now realise by doing that I have created two accounts, no feedback appears that tells you that fact.
When trying to bind the new app using the QR code on the infotainment display, it displayed “success” but remained on the binding screen on my phone. I was using my email address to sign into my iSmart account.
Eventually, I tried signing in using my phone number. Immediately the iSmart app connected to my car without the need to bind it using the QR code. It displayed the status of my car correctly.
Therefore, my car was already bound to my account because I must have used the phone number login when I originally bound the car with the old app.

MG do not make it clear that you have to stick to either email user name or mobile number user name, otherwise you create two accounts.
Thank you - proof of what I've been saying ever since v2 of the app came out. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back