iSmart binding

greentangerine

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Picked up my new orange Trophy on Saturday (p/x for MG5) and all great apart from I can't get to the end of the binding process.

I've followed all the possible options posted both here and on other forums i.e delete and re-install app, give app location permission, factory reset the car, try binding when on wi-fi, try binding when not on wi-fi and no luck.

It scans the QR code fine (and each time it does that, I get a confirmation message in the app saying it has bound the car) but it refuses to get past the security code setting - comes back with 'Service currently unavailable. Try again later'. Of course, the car still doesn't show up in the app.

Anyone know of any other things I could try? Phone is Android Google Pixel 6 and no issues with Bluetooth or Android Auto so far.

If you've scanned the first QR code to download the app and then the second smaller QR code to bind the car then the servers might be temporarily down. Give it a try later.

Last edited:
To answer my own question, I finally got the car/app to bind and the following is an ordered list of what worked eventually for me. I've no idea which step(s) made the difference and I was sitting in the car the entire time with data access via the phone signal, not wi-fi.

Deleted the app from my phone.
Restarted the phone.
Downloaded the app via the left QR code on the car screen (NB I'd previously gone direct to Google Play)
Installed app
Went to phone settings and gave the app every permission possible(!)
Started up app and logged in using email account which I'd created on Saturday.
Went back to car screen and selected the option to bring up the QR codes again.
Confirmed in app I wanted to bind and scanned the right QR code.
Screen came up asking for a new 4 digit pin. Entered something suitable and hit done.
Instead of the previous 'service unavailable' message it worked and I can now see the car in the app.

Hope this helps!

I had no problem with linking to the iSmart App (done after I arrived home after collecting my Trophy. Downloaded it from the Android store, clicked the QR image, set my phone number as my login. Accepted the conditions and 'bingo' all is working.

Having read a number of posts I offer the hypothesis that problems are caused by using an email address rather than a phone number. 'Query'.

It is usually suggested to create your account using an email address. That way if you happen to change your phone number (for whatever reason) then you don't have issues with your account or using iSMART on other devices.

FWIW, when I got my car and created my iSMART account/bound the car, the phone number option simply didn't work, so I HAD to create an email login. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back